Converting a 90's MTB into a retro drop bar bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has he built the other wheel yet?

I knew there was something...

The other wheel is still complete, but he'll be straightening it out before we go to the shop...

Elder Son and myself finally got ourselves into gear to build the Randonneur bike to a ridable state, this was partly because it is important for Elder Son to experience a project to successful completion, but mainly because with my usual level of organisation I was pretty sure any bits that were not firmly fixed down would probably vanish soon.

rando_rebuild_04a.jpg

The first logistical problem was getting the bits for the bike down the rather steep hill into Central Stuttgart. We eventually decided to travel together on the tram, with Elder Son carrying the frame, and all the other bits on the Xtracycle. Once in the city, Elder Son would change tram, and I’d ride through the park to meet him at his employers shop.

Stuff like this becomes interesting when you don’t have a car

Of course our plan assumed that Elder Son would have a bike to ride back on, which I hoped wasn’t over optimistic. Old bike frames can occasionally throw up awkward surprises.

rando_rebuild_05.jpg

Mind you, the first problem had nothing to do with the age of the bike and everything to do with yours truly not measuring properly, again, and buying a handlebar stem that was far too long. This was solved with help from a hacksaw: it isn’t pretty but it is out of sight so we’re pretending it didn’t happen. We’re also ignoring the way the front brakes are slightly lopsided, as they work perfectly well. The rear wheel gave some trouble but fitted after some ‘persuasion’ being brought to bear on the back stays.

On the other hand, and to my frank astonishment, the gears worked perfectly first time.

A few hours later we had a basically complete bike on the stand, so after fighting with the handlebar tape (thank goodness for online instructional videos) we took it out for a play to try it out. The bike passed all tests (stopped, started, gears changed, wheels failed to fall off) so we packed up and set off through the park.

At this point Elder Son vanished into the sunset, so I think that counts as a success.

Now it’s working we just need to add the bits to make it a “proper” bike, like mudguards, stand, and luggage rack et c, preferably before the planned bike tour later this month...

So far the bike seems okay, pretty comfortable, the lack of levers on the flat part of the bars causes the occasional panic though: is there any form of 'interrupter' lever that works with V-brakes?

It's new bike day:

Didge_to_Wayfarer.png

She doesn't look too bad either, especially considering where we started from.

2019_08_04_Wayfarer1_Airport_01.JPG

There's a few niggles: I really need to practice applying handlebar tape, I still can't find the "Goldilocks" tightness for the headset, and the front brake is mysteriously lopsided, but the bike goes and stops on command, so I'm calling it done.

Elder Son has frozen onto the machine for commuting: not only that but his brothers have decided they like it too, so I reckon it must ride reasonably well.

When I actually get a chance to try it out myself I’ll let you know…

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I need to replace the back wheel, and maybe spread the dropouts for a 6 or 7 speed block. The current rear wheel is 5 speed, and I would like a lower low gear, as well as a wheel that doesn't go "clunk". This is a lugged frame with fewer braze-ons, but the right size for on-road riding. For off road, a got a slightly larger than the Trek 950 Schwinn Sierra in black chrome. Not as tall as the Panasonic, but I need a shorter bike than the Panasonic MC 2500 for off road. MC stands for Mountain Cat, BTW.

Eighteen months later and Some serious thread resurrection here...

The Bike we built works beautifully, in fact I'm probably using it far more than my previous "go to" bike, because my commute increased and it's the most comfortable option.

Now, there is talk of myself and a friend taking a bike tour in April 2022. Eldest Son and Youngest Son have both said they would like to join, which I really didn't expect. It also means I'm one adult sized bike short.

While tidying up the depths of the bike workshop I found this:

New_Bike_Frame.jpg

The rims are shot, and the BB is seized solid, but the frame is chromoly and butted to boot.

Elder Son wants to make a 'Wayfarer 2.0' (See above) and on first impressions I reckon that's possible; I've been hoarding bits for a while si I probably have a lot of what I'd need. This one has 28" wheels instead of the 26" of the original Wayfarer because Elder Son is a bit bigger than me, and also I've noticed the only issue I have with 'Wayfarer 1' is that the frame feels a tiny bit small.

Anyone see any issues that I'm missing? If not, I'll buy the frame and get it over to the car workshop to weld the lugs for the gear leavers into the down frame.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Eighteen months later and Some serious thread resurrection here...

The Bike we built works beautifully, in fact I'm probably using it far more than my previous "go to" bike, because my commute increased and it's the most comfortable option.

Now, there is talk of myself and a friend taking a bike tour in April 2022. Eldest Son and Youngest Son have both said they would like to join, which I really didn't expect. It also means I'm one adult sized bike short.

While tidying up the depths of the bike workshop I found this:

View attachment 653388

The rims are shot, and the BB is seized solid, but the frame is chromoly and butted to boot.

Elder Son wants to make a 'Wayfarer 2.0' (See above) and on first impressions I reckon that's possible; I've been hoarding bits for a while si I probably have a lot of what I'd need. This one has 28" wheels instead of the 26" of the original Wayfarer because Elder Son is a bit bigger than me, and also I've noticed the only issue I have with 'Wayfarer 1' is that the frame feels a tiny bit small.

Anyone see any issues that I'm missing? If not, I'll buy the frame and get it over to the car workshop to weld the lugs for the gear leavers into the down frame.

Great news!

I'm looking forward to this!

I know I've said it before - wayfarer one looks great.:okay:

I need to replace the back wheel, and maybe spread the dropouts for a 6 or 7 speed block. The current rear wheel is 5 speed, and I would like a lower low gear, as well as a wheel that doesn't go "clunk". This is a lugged frame with fewer braze-ons, but the right size for on-road riding. For off road, a got a slightly larger than the Trek 950 Schwinn Sierra in black chrome. Not as tall as the Panasonic, but I need a shorter bike than the Panasonic MC 2500 for off road. MC stands for Mountain Cat, BTW.

I've found a bike at the other extreme; in front of the Yellow Peril above, there was an elderly drop-bar steel framed tourer and when I moved it, I noticed it's not only a nice frame but it also has 24" wheels, and as such would be a great bike for Beautiful Daughter.

I have moved it further back in the store, so it doesn't get damaged. Not to hide it for a few years until she can fit it. Obviously.

Generally speaking, bikes designed for use with flat bars have longer top-tubes than bikes designed for drop bars. Also, top tube length (for a given frame size) varied enormously over time, between different brands and even between different models from a single manufacturer. High end / performance mountain bikes tended to have longer cockpits than the bread and butter bikes. Additionally, the height of the top of the head tube varied enormously. We went from rigid forks and horizontal top tubes to suspension adjusted frames which added two, three or more inches of height to the front end. All of which has to be taken into account when planning where to place the clamp section of your drop handlebar in relation to the saddle. A 1987 Raleigh will need a very different stem to a 1997 Kona in both height and reach. I'm a big fan of adjustable stems for these kinds of projects.

Top Bottom