Converting a Hybrid 24 speed to a SS..?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gussington

Hi all,
I have a Rideback Meteor which I have had fun with - both zooming around London and a couple of short tours. I have a Kona Sutra comign soon, so will not be using the Meteor for much - except maybe parkign it up in places where I am not that sure about security!

As I have slightly worn cogs etc, I was wondering about changing to SS instead of spenidng money starting to replace bits of the gear system. I am not very handy yet, but planning to do it all by myself if possible.

The reasons that I want to convert it are as follows:
=> To save money, by not replacing the gearing system ina bit when it needs it.
=> To create a city runabout bike that needs less maintenance.
=> To improve my fitness, by forcing me to jump out of the saddle and just generally have fun!
I often ride it in a single gear for short journeys anyway, so know I enjoy it.

Just looking for some advice of what I need to buy? Also, do I just work otu what gear I currently like - then buy the same cogs as I use?

Gus

tyred

Legendary Member
The most important point is whether you have horizontal or vertical drop-outs, i'e, does the back wheel go into an angled slot and slide back and forward or does it go straight in from below. If they're horizontal, you won't need a chain tensioner as you tension the chain by sliding the wheel back or forward. If vertical, you will need something to tension the chain. The existing derailleur would do at a pinch but you would loose some of the weight and efficiency benefits of SS.

As your bike probably has a cassette type hub, you can buy kits which use spacers and a single sprocket to do this conversion. If it's a thread on block, you remove it and replace with a BMX freewheel, re-dish the wheel to suit the chainline.

Sheldon Brown gives lots of info on this here.

Top Bottom