Cooking pot query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anybody please recommend a cooking pot with built in wire handle, lid, and most importantly, non-stick properties. 600 to 700 ml in size?

I'd buy the alpkit offering https://www.alpkit.com/products/mytimug but I'm not sure how non-stick uncoated Titanium is. It'd be mostly for packet pasta / rice meals, but porridge would be nice sometimes, which is probably a severe test!

I'll be using it on a single burner gas stove.

Thanks

Graham

rualexander

Legendary Member
You don't need a non stick pan for porridge, just soak it in cold water for ten minutes or so before cleaning.
Non stick camping pots will just end up getting scratched and flaking off the coating into your food.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Can anybody please recommend a cooking pot with built in wire handle, lid, and most importantly, non-stick properties. 600 to 700 ml in size?

I'd buy the alpkit offering https://www.alpkit.com/products/mytimug but I'm not sure how non-stick uncoated Titanium is. It'd be mostly for packet pasta / rice meals, but porridge would be nice sometimes, which is probably a severe test!

I'll be using it on a single burner gas stove.

Thanks

Graham
Yes, non-stick is a non-starter. I use Tatonka gear and it's bombproof. Zebra billy cans are also great. Titanium is good for prizing open any wallet....

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The problem with titanium is that it's a very poor conductor of heat so your pan will inevitably get hot spots. Hot spots lead to burnage and spoilt dinners, the great strength is little benefit nor is the high price. Aluminium is a far better bet for pans as it's an excellent conductor of heat, and cheap with it. Never used a titanium pan, but you "cannae break the laws of physics" as the famous engineer was wont to say, so I'm on solid ground on this. Copper is the blingtastic option for home use of course, bit far too heavy for cycling.

Just remember to remove the feathers with hot water.

149790050011933873310.jpg

:biggrin:

OP
OP
graham bowers
Thanks for the helpful input. Looks like this thread has run its course........................................................;-)

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'd go for hard anodised aluminium myself, like these https://www.alpkit.com/products/haap or possibly the alipots.

Titanium is the most stick/burn prone option, but is tough enough that you can use quite vicious scourers without damage.
Non stick is good as long as the coating lasts, but you are sure to burn something at some point, and the coating doesn't take to pan scrubs.
Plain aluminium scratches up when you use a scourer, and once scratched up there's a tendency for the flavour of the previous meal to stick down the bottom of the scratches (probably only important if you use the same pan for after dinner tea)

OP
OP
graham bowers
Thanks a_s.

I'm using hard Al anodised cookware at the moment but I need something smaller for solo trips and the single 650 ml pot looks ideal. Unfortunately I've only been able to find such a beast in Ti.

I'm off on my travels in a few days and will probably take an Al mess tin for "cooking" and stainless steel mug that I will boil water in for coffee.

Top Bottom