Corned beef

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Properly done corned beef hash, served with Baked Beans and a poached egg on top.
I'm gonna have to take issue with this. You want a fried egg on CBH. As the Two Fat Ladies once said about Bubble & Squeak - if you're on a diet, eat something else. And baked beans should not really even be in the same room.

si_c

Guru
I'm gonna have to take issue with this. You want a fried egg on CBH. As the Two Fat Ladies once said about Bubble & Squeak - if you're on a diet, eat something else. And baked beans should not really even be in the same room.

I don't particularly like fried eggs, so I'll have to agree to disagree on that score. As for beans, they just make it perfect. So you're clearly wrong on that one:laugh::evil:

PK99

Legendary Member
I don't particularly like fried eggs, so I'll have to agree to disagree on that score. As for beans, they just make it perfect. So you're clearly wrong on that one:laugh::evil:

Try this version of fried eggs;

Non stick pan
Butter
Lowest possible heat on the hob
Add egg(s) and 1 tbsp of water
Cover with lid
When cooked, add salt and pepper to taste.

postman

Legendary Member
Now then the awful packaged corn beef from a well know supermarket tastes and looks nothing like a sarnie shop in Salem Mass Usa,oh my word what a sarnie that was.I have gone off corned beef since the deli counter closed.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Corned beef is pretty vile, let's face it. Adulthood is your reward for having suffered corned beef in one's poor youth in the 70s. You survived it. Now you're grown up and earning a wage, you can eat proper meat, so don't punish yourself.

Spam I'll let off, since fried crispy spam is palatable. But corned beef should never be acceptable in 2021.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Corned beef is pretty vile, let's face it. Adulthood is your reward for having suffered corned beef in one's poor youth in the 70s. You survived it. Now you're grown up and earning a wage, you can eat proper meat, so don't punish yourself.

Spam I'll let off, since fried crispy spam is palatable. But corned beef should never be acceptable in 2021.
depends how you use it.
Did your mum boil the veg to death as well?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
depends how you use it.
Did your mum boil the veg to death as well?
Yep! :laugh:

Actually corned beef hash was the very first "large scale" meal I learned to cook. I'd have been 19, I worked in a highly secure place where once inside, about 30 of you were stuck there for 12 hours. So one person each night would be nominated to be the cook, they'd have to collect provisions from a separate dining facility, and then would have to cook for everyone else's duty supper for between around 9pm-midnight. The facility was equipped with a professional kitchen so it had everything, but nearly everyone hated being given that job and they'd do batches of deep fried everything, it was a choice of sausages, burgers, or chips. Or all 3. With optional beans.
The first time I got lumbered with the job I called my Mum and asked what you could make for many people that would be popular, and she dictated the corned beef hash recipe over the phone while I scribbled it down. It scaled up really well and it really was popular! So I only knock it in jest, I do have at least some nostalgic love for CBH.
I think a basic chicken curry was the second thing I learned to cook, that went down even better. I was often on cooking duties from then on.

Top Bottom