Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Just been reading this...

Britons do not want to go back into work because they fear the lockdown is being eased too quickly – and they enjoy being at home, a poll revealed last night.

The survey was a setback for Boris Johnson, illustrating the uphill task he faces to bring the nation’s moribund economy back to life quickly.

It showed that on average people have more money in their pockets than when the lockdown started – with public-sector workers gaining the most.

Millions of voters are putting their feet up at home – and an astonishing four in ten have put on weight, particularly worrying following clear evidence of a link between obesity and coronavirus.

We knew this furlough thing would be seen as a paid for holiday,especially by the pampered public sector! Didn't the chancellor think that offering a generous 80% of wages would be easily manageable to most,meaning they've learnt to live comfortably off it and now see it as a way of life. I bet those gawp at their phone for hours,then maybe push a mop around for a while, 20's/30's year old staff at the council run gym i attend are loving it! No doubt they'll be one of the last places to open,yet it's supposed to be a local amenity paid for by us community charge payers.

Then we have the rise in obesity! We've been told for weeks now that obesity is responsible for many of the virus deaths,yet what have they been doing,contrary to this image that everybody couldn't wait for lockdown restrictions to be lifted,so they could exercise like billyo! They've been gorging themselves on take-aways!

So now it seems that they've developed a phobia about going back to work and then catching the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...use-to-return-over-risk-to-health-union-warns

This is why i can't see schools opening again till after their long summer holidays!:thumbsdown:
I'm not entirely sure where the information is coming from Accy but it doesn't reflect the conversations I'm having between the 3 teams that I manage. The few staff left in the organisation who haven't been furloughed are now working very hard to ensure work is safe and we are ready to return to normal just as soon as possible.

Slick

Guru
Daily Mail, in case anybody's wondering.
Ah.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm not entirely sure where the information is coming from Accy but it doesn't reflect the conversations I'm having between the 3 teams that I manage. The few staff left in the organisation who haven't been furloughed are now working very hard to ensure work is safe and we are ready to return to normal just as soon as possible.
Private or public sector?

Julia9054

Guru
Only part time though,while being paid full time.
Not sure where you have heard this information from (Daily Mail probably) but I and all my colleagues are working our normal hours. We have a small proportion of ancillary staff (some catering, site staff) on furlough but everyone else is being paid their salary because they are working.

Reactions: C R

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Personal question so ignore it if you like, but what do you do? What's your contribution to society and the economy, what do you give and what do you take?
I've worked all my working life,up till a few years ago. Health problems mean i'm now on JSA,though to be fair to some public sector employees i don't get hassle at the job centre as they realise there isn't much work out there for the likes of me. Contribution to society wise,i reckon the tax on the beer i buy must pay for at least one public sector workers annual holiday!:smile:

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've worked all my working life,up till a few years ago. Health problems mean i'm now on JSA,though to be fair to some public sector employees i don't get hassle at the job centre as they realise there isn't much work out there for the likes of me. Contribution to society wise,i reckon the tax on the beer i buy must pay for at least one public sector workers annual holiday!:smile:
Cheers, hope you don't mind me asking, I just wanted to put some of your posts in context.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The reason i copy and post DM stuff is because it's one of the few rags left that doesn't ask you to subscribe before being able to read their articles in full.

It seems that 'free online newspapers' aren't that free to read anymore. My local daily paper now asks for money for i'd say around 75% of its articles.

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So now it seems that they've developed a phobia about going back to work and then catching the virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...use-to-return-over-risk-to-health-union-warns

This is why i can't see schools opening again till after their long summer holidays!:thumbsdown:

Accy, try and minimise the thoughts about other people, look after yourself, that's job enough for anyone in these times.

Some people will fear going back to work, the question on that is how do you make workers feel less apprehensive about it, what are the levels of risk in different jobs, workplaces and sectors. What causes the fears? A lack of clear communication by the government is one. Not publishing advice on schools until this week really doesn't help either. Lack of PPE in some jobs definitely causes fear. The saga that is UK testing, the testing is in a much better place for general workers than it was in Feb/March but the sagas erode confidence massively.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, try and minimise the thoughts about other people, look after yourself, that's job enough for anyone in these times.
I do,but my mind keeps working overtime,analysing everything i see or read about! I suppose some would say it keeps your mind active,but as you'll know we never come to a conclusion,which just adds to the problem.

Top Bottom