Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
My mum wants me to tell her if I think it’s ok for her to go and do her own shopping now. How the hell do I know? I’ve lost all ability to properly risk assess anything
The received wisdom here is that shopping in bigger shops where distancing is possible entails a negligible risk. This is why the requirement to wear masks in shops here hasn't gone down well, although imo reducing a very small risk even further isn't a bad thing. There is agitation to turn the requirement into a recommendation.

Small shops getting crowded isn't so clever, but shops who limit numbers inside can get round this.

My son had a blood test a few days ago - nothing to do with corona. He went to get the results a couple of days later. The doctors don't like anyone actually visiting the surgery unless essential, so they lowered the results down in a basket from the balcony! ^_^

My son had a blood test a few days ago - nothing to do with corona. He went to get the results a couple of days later. The doctors don't like anyone actually visiting the surgery unless essential, so they lowered the results down in a basket from the balcony! ^_^

A typically German response: slightly eccentric but logical, and of course involves some kind of engineering...

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The received wisdom here is that shopping in bigger shops where distancing is possible entails a negligible risk. This is why the requirement to wear masks in shops here hasn't gone down well, although imo reducing a very small risk even further isn't a bad thing. There is agitation to turn the requirement into a recommendation.

The risk in terms of UK shopping is patterns. Before covid-19 some went food shopping literally every day and may have even gone to 2 different shops. This can be applicable to parts of the groups quite at risk e.g. over 70s.

That's quite different from someone who shops once a week.

Ventilation which is a hot topic is one that varies enormously in shops. It is true that not only can there be space in larger shops, but better ventilation and in some shops almost non-existent circulation in the sense of the virus. The reports yesterday on coverings reckoned face coverings in the UK at their zenith in April were only 25%, compared to much higher ones in other nearby countries.

I wouldn't personally call a large shop a negligible risk as it's still indoors, but if there's space and ventilation and time limited it'll be small. The UK government and advisors seem to put a lot of stock into this Japanese study.

The UK policy seems to be pubs, schools and jolly holidays. There's no joined up public health narrative.

winjim

Smash the cistern
In a country with such a thing, alcohol would be banned (or have some tricksy daily ration), refined sugars too, and we'd have compulsory exercise regimes. You know this won't happen! So why be surprised that pandemic control isn't entirely consistent?
Consumption of alcohol and refined sugar are both discouraged, and gym membership and cycling are encouraged, through the tax system.

lane

Veteran
Secondary school will effectively have no social distancing at all when they open. Given emerging evidence on the role played by airborne transmission this must present quite a risk. My children's school has a strict policy the no one can wear masks in school! Although must wear one on the bus to school. Not really joined up as far as i can see.

Consumption of alcohol and refined sugar are both discouraged, and gym membership and cycling are encouraged, through the tax system.
But as you know, alcohol is - and always will be a - a big business in the UK, and our government will support it forever more (partly due to the taxes of course). That hasn't changed under a pandemic.

The simpler truth is that a health-conscious nation would clamp down properly on booze - with the current taxes, even the poor can drink themselves to death. Do you think "discouragement" is working?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
But as you know, alcohol is - and always will be a - a big business in the UK, and our government will support it forever more (partly due to the taxes of course). That hasn't changed under a pandemic.

The simpler truth is that a health-conscious nation would clamp down properly on booze - with the current taxes, even the poor can drink themselves to death. Do you think "discouragement" is working?

By contrast coronavirus is of no use to anyone.

The only people who would even vaguely regard coronavirus as useful would be the subset of individuals who are on furlough and loving it and not had any difficult household circumstances.

So there is motivation and an unquestionable need for a public health message.

The UK policy seems to be pubs, schools and jolly holidays. There's no joined up public health narrative.

C R

Guru
I had the Antibody Test done through work (NHS) yesterday and it’s come back as “not detected” so I’ve avoided the bugger so far. Hoping it stays that way!
I'm guessing that is the case for the vast majority. There's a paper just published with research done in Spain, where even in the most affected areas antibody positives are only about 5% of the population.

lane

Veteran
Yes but also some recent research that asymptomatic cases are not showing positive through there is evidence that they are likely to have some immunity. Estimates of the % of asymptomatic cases vary quite widely but it seems accepted that they are significant, so in the UK where the % of positive antibody tests was around 7% on average actual numbers infected could easily by over 10% and possibly quite a bit over.

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
This is one strange virus. I became infected with Covid back in mid May, it took about two weeks to recover from the initial infection, however since then my lungs have never felt 100% I have never completely shook of my cough, it comes and goes, if I eat spicy food or vinegar it triggers coughing. Also on two occasions I have found after exertion i.e. running, for two or three days afterwards I get severe muscle aches, and compete exhaustion, my cough deteriorates as well, then it just goes and I am back to 'normal'. I have spoken to my GP and he has said he is seeing patients who are having waves of exhaustion weeks or even months after recovery.

It's frustrating that my recovery is a bit start stop, but at least I am here to tell the tale.

Top Bottom