Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been pretty anxious about all the uncertainty throughout the pandemic; one thing that makes this worse is the outbreaks of petty gate-keepers in my life. I've mentioned the Little Hitlers that get jobs at airports to get some power over complete strangers; well COVID has empowered 1000s of these people in normal life.

It's not enough to follow the law, scientific guidance, good manners, be kind to people; no, you also have to jump through hoops everywhere you fecking go. And you don't know until you get there what hoops there will be.

Sport? Well there is usually 4 levels of hitlers who can impose some restriction - at each level, they look up the chain for a justification to stop things, then they try to think up their own rules to feel important.

Aaaaaaaaaargh! And breathe ...

johnblack

Über Member
I've been pretty anxious about all the uncertainty throughout the pandemic; one thing that makes this worse is the outbreaks of petty gate-keepers in my life. I've mentioned the Little Hitlers that get jobs at airports to get some power over complete strangers; well COVID has empowered 1000s of these people in normal life.

It's not enough to follow the law, scientific guidance, good manners, be kind to people; no, you also have to jump through hoops everywhere you fecking go. And you don't know until you get there what hoops there will be.

Sport? Well there is usually 4 levels of hitlers who can impose some restriction - at each level, they look up the chain for a justification to stop things, then they try to think up their own rules to feel important.

Aaaaaaaaaargh! And breathe ...
Some people thrive on tiny amounts of power and this has been an absolute dreamtime for them, give them a hi-vis and they get drunk on power.

I have no social media but have been kept aware of the local curtain twitching facebook brigade, a radicalised lockdown neighbourhood watch of fanatics with clipboards and stopwatches, checking up on comings and goings in the village and commenting on facebook. They were very brave for a few weeks, ready to call the police, ring employers and gang up on anyone they felt may have done something outside of the rules. They've all gone very quiet now, I'm sure they're hoping for a huge second wave of infections so that they can go full fanatic again.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Latest swab test has come back negative as expected. There are rumours that they're looking for vaccine trial volunteers to be deliberately exposed to the virus in order to speed up the process but I don't know if that's true. I don't think I'd really fancy it. I guess they'd have to unblind people and confirm the presence of antibodies before they went ahead.

What this shows of course is that the more successful our efforts are at mitigating the spread of the virus, the larger the cohort and the longer the time required to demonstrate (or refute) vaccine efficacy.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Latest swab test has come back negative as expected. There are rumours that they're looking for vaccine trial volunteers to be deliberately exposed to the virus in order to speed up the process but I don't know if that's true. I don't think I'd really fancy it. I guess they'd have to unblind people and confirm the presence of antibodies before they went ahead.

What this shows of course is that the more successful our efforts are at mitigating the spread of the virus, the larger the cohort and the longer the time required to demonstrate (or refute) vaccine efficacy.

Monday in the Lancet, a lot of people have not been wanting to comment in the media until it's published the very early phase 1 results.

In terms of infecting people there's been a lot of talk about this the last two weeks, but the vaccine you have had is also being used in Brazil where sadly there isn't a shortage of risks of being exposed to the virus. It's not clear at all using volunteers in brazil how long it'd take to get data, there's been lengthy timescales discussed on that one.

postman

Legendary Member
Not using public transport.Walking everywhere.Just started to visit two mates.Car journey and a walk back.George up the street.Ernie from Hunmanby just turned his offer of a visit down,not using bus or setting foot near a train.And it will be a long time before i do.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I received a letter today from Imperial College London asking me to take part in a C19 test,which according to them will allow them to estimate how many people in England have already been infected,though it won't be able to tell if i have. So what's in it for me i ask?:scratch:

Rocky

Hello decadence
I received a letter today from Imperial College London asking me to take part in a C19 test,which according to them will allow them to estimate how many people in England have already been infected,though it won't be able to tell if i have. So what's in it for me i ask?:scratch:
Say yes!! It's your contribution to medical science. You'll have a good feeling knowing you've helped.

Reactions: C R

marinyork

The virus is going to be around for a long time.

Any accurate information helps everyone including you.

I'd take a t cell, serology test or antibody test without question even if I never got the results.

MntnMan62

Über Member
So would I on the other hand why can't they give you the results.

Maybe they are putting what limited resources they have on compiling the data, evaluating it and attempting to come up with some answers to questions which is the main purpose of the study. Sending each participant the results of their tests takes time and money.

Julia9054

Guru
So would I on the other hand why can't they give you the results.
Antibody test results are of limited use to the individual. We do not yet know how long antibodies last and how much, if any, immunity it gives you. Altering individual behaviour on the basis of a positive antibody test would be a wrong move. It is, of course, of interest to research on a population level as it gives an indication of what proportion of the population has been exposed to the virus

lane

Veteran
I'm sure it was on the news Govt will be making an antibody test available to all who want it which gives a result in 30 minutes?

marinyork

Antibody test results are of limited use to the individual. We do not yet know how long antibodies last and how much, if any, immunity it gives you. Altering individual behaviour on the basis of a positive antibody test would be a wrong move. It is, of course, of interest to research on a population level as it gives an indication of what proportion of the population has been exposed to the virus

Schools, teachers, health conditions and risks of going back to school...

Antibody tests are of use to the individual. They instill reassurance and and confidence in the public. Given the government lost the battle over schools, this is not of limited use at all. There are downsides. SAGE has written a long time ago of the behavioural risks on antibody tests. However, given the major breakthrough on antibody test kits recently, I think come winter some of the negative behaviours will be offset by how common they are and what will happen in the winter.

marinyork

I'm sure it was on the news Govt will be making an antibody test available to all who want it which gives a result in 30 minutes?

It's rumoured that the naturally very slothful authorities will licence the 'pin prick' antibody test kit, after it was 98.6% accurate after a large study.

The reality of what that means to me that in the latter parts of 2020 you and me may get a test, if the rumours about government intent as reported in the telegraph are true. In a remarkably similar way that kingrollo was asking about vaccines, yeah a vaccine exists, it may even pass it's stage 3 trials this year but when people like me and him are actually offered a vaccine. Long way off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom