Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As said upthread, testing isn't just for illness. In fact in my case, only 1 test has been done because I was feeling under the weather. The one positive test I have had was done because my wife had tested +ve two days earlier. So I was doing daily tests. - Because I didn't want to be mixing with other people and potentially passing on the infection, even if I was feeling OK. You know; social responsibility.
Other examples, illustrative not exhaustive:
Up to very recently, work asked for an LFT to be done before going in, to prevent infection spreading. In fact since this has been dropped, there are now almost daily emails about someone who had been in, has tested positive, extra cleaning, blah blah.
Tests are being done every time I, my wife, or my daughters, visit my Mum. - Vulnerable person.
Tests are done before I meet up with a friend in his mid 70s and I know his daughters do the same. My wife does the same with a friend of hers around the same age. And we also know they test before seeing us. - Social responsibility.

Well done, now back to my original query.

How long do people see themselves doing this for and what might make them change their approach?

If work no longer required testing, if pay was affected (only SSP for example) or when free test kits run out and what does 'as long as needed ' mean to people?

This is a genuine post as I know very few people who test on a regular basis and that includes over 70's who I go to football with as well as mid 50's work mates.

Can people see themselves doing this for years to come and if so, how many?

Last edited:
I think the time to stop the testing and quarantine regime is when we know the strains still going around aren't dangerous to people in more vulnerable groups.

I appreciate that this is slightly illogical because on that basis we need to make serious policy changes to reduce car use, as cars are a lading cause of death, but still...

Isn't 'flu' dangerous to certain groups?

I asked you because you used the phrase. If you used it for effect without actually knowing what you meant by it I'm not surprised. I didn't really expect you to answer.

So you can't work out what the phrase means?

You think a physical thing is going to fly through the air and actually lift me off the ground, or maybe it might mean that someone who is ill (as alluded to in this very thread) has to stay in bed due the severity of said illness?

I cannot see into the future and have as little scientific knowledge of this virus and epidemiology as you, so will not hazard a blind guess as to how long I will be prepared to test when necessary. YMMV

You test yourself now when you see fit without any scientific knowledge so what, if anything, would change your approach then?

Don't know what YMMV means.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Recently I've been aware of several cases among my pals and those of Mrs 26. All have not been at all nastily ill and have recovered OK. Still clear in 26 Towers. We now await the next wave of even more transmissible variant.

Reactions: C R
You test yourself now when you see fit without any scientific knowledge so what, if anything, would change your approach then?

Don't know what YMMV means.

Don't need scientific knowledge to take a test.

For the time being I will continue to take tests if there is a reasonable chance I have the virus, or if I am asked to to visit care homes or health facilities. I don't know when I will stop but it will possibly be when when Covid strains stop being highly transmissible and potentially dangerous, and/or when the scientists say that tests no longer are necessary. I do not test regularly.

YMMV is an acronym used on cycling and other forums: "Your mileage may vary is used to say that people may experience a particular thing in different ways."

Last edited:
So you can't work out what the phrase means?

You think a physical thing is going to fly through the air and actually lift me off the ground, or maybe it might mean that someone who is ill (as alluded to in this very thread) has to stay in bed due the severity of said illness?

Of course I can work out what it means, but as it came from you I felt it better to be sure. Requests for specific answers usually require specific questions. One can be very ill, or too ill to work, without actually having to stay in bed. Personally, lying in bed when ill generally makes me feel even worse.

For the time being I will continue to take tests if there is a reasonable chance I have the virus, or if I am asked to to visit care homes or health facilities. I don't know when I will stop but it will possibly be when when Covid strains stop being highly transmissible and potentially dangerous, and/or when the scientists say that tests no longer are necessary. I do not test regularly.

There you go, not difficult is it.

Thank you.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well done, now back to my original query.

How long do people see themselves doing this for and what might make them change their approach?

If work no longer required testing, if pay was affected (only SSP for example) or when free test kits run out and what does 'as long as needed ' mean to people?

This is a genuine post as I know very few people who test on a regular basis and that includes over 70's who I go to football with as well as mid 50's work mates.

Can people see themselves doing this for years to come and if so, how many?
End of this year, at the earliest.

When it's over I can let the normal routine hinder what I might want to do/have planned.

Top Bottom