Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
My symptoms have been so few with Covid that if it wasn't for the breathing issues towards the end of infection I'd probably opt for CV over cold.

However, both times as its gone round one person in my office has ended up in hospital. Both with no underlying issues. One guy is the same age as me at 43.

Everyone other than myself said it was a horrible and wouldn't wish it on their enemy.

I'm the only one who is relatively Asymptomatic.

This last infection has left me breathless and its still hanging around on my chest.

You've never been in the position of testing to try and protect others, from something you may have had at the time?

No.

But then, as you have never done a test, it suggests to me that either you are in a position where you don't meet vulnerable people, or you don't take societal responsibility seriously.

Or not been ill therefore not needing to test?

You test for something to do then or required to for work?

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
One of my pensioner drinking pals (and his wife) tested positive about three weeks ago. They were not "ill" as such, just slightly unwell, cold-like was his description. They are sticklers for "the rules" so, have been testing regularly, isolating, etc. Now, all symptoms have gone, but, they are still testing positive and being "pinged" daily by some NHS App. I am interested to see how long before they give up, stop testing, and, re-join the world.

Alex321

Veteran
Or not been ill therfore not needing to test?

When we went back to Morris practice in an indoor hall, we all agreed we would do a test before coming to practice each week (and obviously not come if it came out positive).

There are other reasons than work for doing them.

I've never been that ill but I assume others have given their explanation of 'real flu' so probably better to ask them?

I asked you because you used the phrase. If you used it for effect without actually knowing what you meant by it I'm not surprised. I didn't really expect you to answer.

Covid has a mild effect for some but not for others, thanks primarily due to the success of the vaccines,but it can still be unpleasant and is highly transmissible. I prefer not to increase the risk of passing it on to others.

A cold can have very mild effects but can also be quite debilitating. I do not test at the first sign of a sniff or sneeze, and this recent positive test was my first test for many months since I went to visit my aunt in a care home. No great hardship and not exactly an attack on my independence or freedom.

I cannot see into the future and have as little scientific knowledge of this virus and epidemiology as you, so will not hazard a blind guess as to how long I will be prepared to test when necessary. YMMV

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I could definitely have got downstairs for a bag of banknotes. It would have taken a long time but it would have been doable. But in practice I would have just got my wife to go and get it.
I wouldn't have known that the banknotes were there anyway! I wasn't capable of going downstairs to check to see if anybody had left a bag of notes. I couldn't walk across the room to look out of the window. If somebody had rung me to try to tell me about the banknotes I wouldn't even have answered the phone. And I don't have a partner for bag of banknotes checking and retrieval!

I had a bad cold once. When I was actually getting over the cold, I went out on my bike too soon and ended up unconscious at the roadside. That was 'just' from overexertion with the tail end of a cold. My recent dose of Covid felt a little less nasty than that cold. The flu was 10 times worse than that cold...

When, I wonder, will we stop letting Covid 'ruin our plans'?

As already stated if you had it bad enough to knock you off your feet then clearly you'll be stopping in, if however the symptoms are simply cold like would we all be having a week off work and not going out just because some stick has a red line on it?

I've been fortunate to have had neither Flu or Covid, I assume anyway, so just find it all a bit over the top myself. (the testing).

I think the time to stop the testing and quarantine regime is when we know the strains still going around aren't dangerous to people in more vulnerable groups.

I appreciate that this is slightly illogical because on that basis we need to make serious policy changes to reduce car use, as cars are a leading cause of death, but still...

Last edited:
One of my pensioner drinking pals (and his wife) tested positive about three weeks ago. They were not "ill" as such, just slightly unwell, cold-like was his description. They are sticklers for "the rules" so, have been testing regularly, isolating, etc. Now, all symptoms have gone, but, they are still testing positive and being "pinged" daily by some NHS App. I am interested to see how long before they give up, stop testing, and, re-join the world.

Are people still capable of passing the virus on to others if they test positive but are symptom-less?

If so then I think you're friends are to be congratulated on their social conscience.

They have not left the world, just sacrificing some activities, like drinking in the pub, for a while.

Do you think they should do the easy thing and "give up"? Do you have a view on how long they should wait before "giving up"?

Alex321

Veteran
Are people still capable of passing the virus on to others if they test positive but are symptom-less?

If so then I think you're friends are to be congratulated on their social conscience.

They have not left the world, just sacrificing some activities, like drinking in the pub, for a while.

Do you think they should do the easy thing and "give up"? Do you have a view on how long they should wait before "giving up"?

Well the last rules before t hey scrapped them said you could stop self isolating after 10 days even if still testing positive.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Or not been ill therfore not needing to test?

As said upthread, testing isn't just for illness. In fact in my case, only 1 test has been done because I was feeling under the weather. The one positive test I have had was done because my wife had tested +ve two days earlier. So I was doing daily tests. - Because I didn't want to be mixing with other people and potentially passing on the infection, even if I was feeling OK. You know; social responsibility.
Other examples, illustrative not exhaustive:
Up to very recently, work asked for an LFT to be done before going in, to prevent infection spreading. In fact since this has been dropped, there are now almost daily emails about someone who had been in, has tested positive, extra cleaning, blah blah.
Tests are being done every time I, my wife, or my daughters, visit my Mum. - Vulnerable person.
Tests are done before I meet up with a friend in his mid 70s and I know his daughters do the same. My wife does the same with a friend of hers around the same age. And we also know they test before seeing us. - Social responsibility.

Top Bottom