Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aye, but as you've already said, you've never had flu. And from that I'm assuming you're not that bothered about flu either.

I'm not no but no one regularly tests to see if they have that do they?

classic33

Leg End Member
I'm not no but no one regularly tests to see if they have that do they?
No tests, but plenty get the flu jab every year. And have done so for years, no questions asked as to why.

From what I've read on here, this thread, it seems as though you'd know if you had flu, without taking a test. Never had it, so I'll take those who have said they have at their word.

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
Having stayed clear of it until now, despite our kids having had it, today I felt flu-like symptoms, took a test and it turned out positive. I guess it was inevitable although my wife has yet to test positive. I’m doing OK-ish - seriously fatigued, aching joints, slight headache but no cough to speak of and smell/taste unaffected. Not much fun, but could be worse.

Isn't 'flu' dangerous to certain groups?

Indeed, but people who have 'flu generally know and aren't inclined to go out, so the equivalence you're trying suggest isn't really there.

I'm in a vulnerable group and I'm doing all I can to avoid infection. I don't think it's unfair to ask people to check if they're carrying a potentially dangerous virus, especially when they show symptoms.

As an aside, the anti corona measures have probably been party responsible for my not catching a cold in two years, with all the compications I tend to have, which has been very pleasant.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Two things about flu.

1. If you would rather live than die, you don't have flu.

2. If you're not sure you have flu, you don't have flu.

Not forgetting, if you see someone drop a £20 in your garden and you can/want to go and pick it up, you don’t have flu
Not enough people understand how severe and debilitating flu can be. I'm with you so far.

But it's very wrong to suggest that flu can't be a mild disease.

If you tell people their mild symptoms can't possibly be flu, they might behave in a manner more likely to spread it.
Better if they understand the risk* of them having an infectious and potentially fatal respiratory disease?

The statements above are as wrong as saying "If you're not on a ventilator, you don't have covid".

*Edited to clarify the risk is to others; eg infecting clinically vulnerable friends/family/etc.

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
Absolutely. In the last 5 years before Covid appeared, flu killed between 20,000 and 25,000 each year in the UK.

BMJ article disputes that figure
https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2514

Are there more deaths from flu than from covid?

Data from the Office for National Statistics show that in England and Wales the number of deaths from influenza was 1598 in 2018 and 1223 in 2019.1 This is way below the annual deaths from covid-19, which at the current rate of around 800 deaths a week in England and Wales equates to more than 40 000 a year.2

Disagreements have emerged on social media because some commentators have quoted much higher figures for annual deaths from flu.3 The reason for the discrepancy, as highlighted by the health systems researcher Dan Goyal,4 is that flu and pneumonia deaths are often reported together, including by the ONS itself. When pneumonia deaths are included with flu, the number would be 29 516 in 2018 and 26 398 in 2019. This is obviously closer to covid death numbers, though still less, according to current trends.

Alex321

Veteran
BMJ article disputes that figure
https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2514

Are there more deaths from flu than from covid?

Data from the Office for National Statistics show that in England and Wales the number of deaths from influenza was 1598 in 2018 and 1223 in 2019.1 This is way below the annual deaths from covid-19, which at the current rate of around 800 deaths a week in England and Wales equates to more than 40 000 a year.2

Disagreements have emerged on social media because some commentators have quoted much higher figures for annual deaths from flu.3 The reason for the discrepancy, as highlighted by the health systems researcher Dan Goyal,4 is that flu and pneumonia deaths are often reported together, including by the ONS itself. When pneumonia deaths are included with flu, the number would be 29 516 in 2018 and 26 398 in 2019. This is obviously closer to covid death numbers, though still less, according to current trends.

Not sure where those figures come from.
This https://assets.publishing.service.g...tory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf
Suggests much higher figures (though a lot more variable than I thought)
Page 51:
1650570337451.png

Top Bottom