Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Ah, well, so much for my attempt at optimism.

My understanding was that it's evolution: the more dangerous variants will die off because if the person with it doesn't pass it on then that variant will in turn die out, whereas variants that can transfer to a new host quickly, and also give themselves more time by being less dangerous to the host will survive longer., but then I'm the opposite of an expert and probably clutching at straws.
It's not all bad, we do have vaccines.

Just don't think about MERS.

Julia9054

Guru
If 40% of those who test positive are asymptomatic, then at least 40% of those testing must be testing without symptoms
Not necessarily. This figure - if accurate - is more likely to come from ONS random sampling.
When you reported an lft or pcr taken for other reasons, you weren't asked whether you had symptoms

Tom...

Guru
Why on earth would he be "aware" of something that isn't remotely true.

There are many of us, probably millions, who kept religiously to lockdown social distancing recommendations, and didn't have ANY illnesses for over a year.

Neither my wife nor I had so much as a sniffle from April 2020 through until early 2022 - when we both caught colds from our grandsons when my daughter came to stay - thought that might be COVID, but both tested negative that time (and so did my daughter and her sons).

What he was taking abut was only improbable among people who either mixed with others (whether by choice or because their work required it), or have kids who had to go to school and mix with others.

I wasn't saying not catching it was improbable @Alex321 ? Think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

I was stating his suggestion that jowwy had been measuring an array of body metrics on a daily basis to determine whether or not he's had, or has, Covid-19 was improbable.

Like yourself, I haven't been I'll since early 2020, nor tested positive.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I wasn't saying not catching it was improbable @Alex321 ? Think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

I was stating his suggestion that jowwy had been measuring an array of body metrics on a daily basis to determine whether or not he's had, or has, Covid-19 was improbable.

jowwy has not measured any array of body metrics...other than looking in the mirror and seeing the extra pounds pile on lol

Alex321

Veteran

When you respond to the whole post, it isn't obvious it is only the first paragraph you are responding to. If you want to make that more obvious, put the cursor after the point you want to respond to and hit return, it will split the quote at that point.

Yes, I agree not many have been measuring those things regularly, though I suspect it may still be more than you might think. And I don't think Ming was actually suggesting Jowwy had been doing so.

:okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yes, I agree not many have been measuring those things regularly, though I suspect it may still be more than you might think. And I don't think Ming was actually suggesting Jowwy had been doing so.

Correct, it’s something I’ve been doing. I have no idea what Jowwy has or has not been measuring on a daily basis.

Whilst something may appear asymptomatic for a sedentary person who doesn’t measure any physiological parameters multiple times a week and doesn’t exercise at any significant intensity. If you do measure physiological parameters multiple times a week, or even daily, and regularly exercise at intensity and capture your physiological metrics during that exercise. Thus have a long history and known baselines for your physiology. Does it really seem beyond belief that if you had Covid that it also wouldn’t turn up in the physiological data? You can also argue that if it has absolutely zero impact on you physiologically, then can have you really have got Covid 19, a disease?

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
There are many of us, probably millions, who kept religiously to lockdown social distancing recommendations, and didn't have ANY illnesses for over a year.

Exactly. We haven’t all been in enclosed indoor spaces in close proximity to others for extended periods of time since the pandemic started. Haven’t all had sniffles or sore throats or coughs or headaches or any other ailments in that time.

CXRAndy

Guru
I tested positive yesterday. I've been unlucky in that, I was poorly a few weeks ago, felt like Covid, but could have been a cold. I recovered for maybe 5 days ,then yesterday rapidly felt poorly. I have the typical fever, headaches, chesty lungs. sinuses. I cant smell or taste anything. I've been for a walk on our land today, felt much better being able to cool down

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Not necessarily. This figure - if accurate - is more likely to come from ONS random sampling.
When you reported an lft or pcr taken for other reasons, you weren't asked whether you had symptoms

Just reported a LFT test and it does seem odd that amongst the reasons you are allowed to give, one isn’t “because I have symptoms”. The only one close is “because I have symptoms and am eligible for treatments”

Though the Zoe survey would capture this data because they ask for both test data and symptoms at same time.

Alex321

Veteran
Just reported a LFT test and it does seem odd that amongst the reasons you are allowed to give, one isn’t “because I have symptoms”. The only one close is “because I have symptoms and am eligible for treatments”

Though the Zoe survey would capture this data because they ask for both test data and symptoms at same time.

I think from 1st July, just having symptoms stopped being a valid reason for testing in England, and you can no longer officially get free LFT tests just because you have symptoms.

They seem to have suspended that change in Wales, and you can still get free tests if you have symptoms here.

Rezillo

TwoSheds

Yes, I found that odd as well. It doesn't seem to be encouraging reporting but I put mine through anyway. No problem for us - we have stacks of kits.

Mrs R started out with the mildest of cold symptoms but this did not last long. She spent last night with a wildly fluctuating fever and being sick on several occasions. I was so exhausted by the past few days, and finally had no continuous headache, that I unhelpfully slept through it all.

I notified two people we had been in contact with. They were symptomless but tested anyway and are both positive. One of them now has symptoms.

I seem to have said goodbye to my sense of smell and taste. Oh well, fully jabbed, two years of minimising exposure to others and I get beaten by what is very likely to be a highly infectious variant with little chance of escaping it. I haven't been keeping pace with info on the two new variants but I was reading that it is possible to get re-infected by them. Is this right?

Top Bottom