Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psamathe

Tragically whereas the various national tactics across the world 'flattened the wave' to an extent, the older disproportionately unvaccinated Chinese will suffer catastrophic IFR and health care services.
Plus, even those who are vaccinated are vaccinated with a less effective vaccine than used throughout many other parts of the world.

Ian

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife has had Covid for maybe 4 or 5 days lots and lots of coughing, poor sleep, lethargy etc etc

This is her second bout and it's worse than the first.

I developed a head cold 3 days ago, she keeps insisting it might be covid.

No, it feels every inch like a common cold, bad enough but had worse.

Took a test this morning for the sake of my colleagues as much as anything else...negative.

Still not had covid yet....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My wife has had Covid for maybe 4 or 5 days lots and lots of coughing, poor sleep, lethargy etc etc

This is her second bout and it's worse than the first.

Took a test this morning for the sake of my colleagues as much as anything else...negative.

Still not had covid yet....

That's how my Covid started, just a heavy cold for most of it, then a few days of breathlessness, then a few weeks to get back to normal - probably had an infection after it as MrsF went on anti-biotics for her chest and was better quicker than I was

Alex321

Veteran

That is what it felt like for me when I caught it in June, and for my wife when she caught it (in hospital) before Christmas.

Both of us fully vaccinated.

Reactions: gbb

tom73

Guru
That's one of the many problems covid brings, it presents in such wide range of ways. That it's easy to class it as something else only later showing it's true colours.

That's one of the many problems covid brings, it presents in such wide range of ways. That it's easy to class it as something else only later showing it's true colours.

This is where the question of testing lies in my opinion, if for example I've got what I perceive to be a run of the mill cold I just carry on about my daily life as it's no big deal.

If however I was the type of person that gets the test kit out at every sign of a sniffle and it is in fact Covid what really changes?

I believe the rules, laws, guidance or whatever say I can still go to work or shopping etc so what's the point?

vickster

Legendary Member
This is where the question of testing lies in my opinion, if for example I've got what I perceive to be a run of the mill cold I just carry on about my daily life as it's no big deal.

If however I was the type of person that gets the test kit out at every sign of a sniffle and it is in fact Covid what really changes?

I believe the rules, laws, guidance or whatever say I can still go to work or shopping etc so what's the point?

It provides information so you can make a decision. If I were to test positive based on having symptoms, I would not visit my elderly parents (or indeed anyone else), I wouldn't go to the office and would wfh (if too unwell to work as I was with Covid in Oct 21, I would take time off sick, now I'd be paid, when freelancing not), I wouldn't go out unless I really needed to. Same as if I were to have a heavy cold, flu, a dose of noro or whatever else contagious.

I've got knee surgery on Monday, I need to do an LFT on Saturday and at the crack of dawn on Monday before going to the hospital - if I test positive, my surgery will be postponed. Positive test would still have an impact on my actions and activities

D

Deleted member 26715

I've got knee surgery on Monday, I need to do an LFT on Saturday and at the crack of dawn on Monday before going to the hospital - if I test positive, my surgery will be postponed. Positive test would still have an impact on my actions and activities
Hope all goes well for you.

We seem to have a strange variant, probably nothing to do with Covid itself, but it's a flu/cold that can quickly develop into Bronchitis lots of coughing, phlegm, etc. but it seems to affect those who have had Covid worse than those who haven't from our very very small unscientific group of friends.

It provides information so you can make a decision. If I were to test positive based on having symptoms, I would not visit my elderly parents (or indeed anyone else), I wouldn't go to the office and would wfh (if too unwell to work as I was with Covid in Oct 21, I would take time off sick, now I'd be paid, when freelancing not), I wouldn't go out unless I really needed to. Same as if I were to have a heavy cold, flu, a dose of noro or whatever else contagious.

I understand some of this but how long will it be before it is no different to a cold, people have already said they've felt worse with a simple cold, did you do all those things before Covid came along if feeling a bit under the weather?

I had knee surgery in July which I needed a test before going in and that's the only test I've ever done as I've no reason to.

We don't work from home in my job so that's not an option and as far as I'm aware as long as you feel well enough you go in, if not you take sick in the normal way.

vickster

Legendary Member
I understand some of this but how long will it be before it is no different to a cold, people have already said they've felt worse with a simple cold, did you do all those things before Covid came along if feeling a bit under the weather?

I had knee surgery in July which I needed a test before going in and that's the only test I've ever done as I've no reason to.

We don't work from home in my job so that's not an option and as far as I'm aware as long as you feel well enough you go in, if not you take sick in the normal way.

Not all employers / jobs are the same. While Covid, flu etc could cause serious harm to my parents and others, I would stay away if I’m ill. I wouldn‘t choose to expose family, friends, colleagues to an illness, including a cold

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Not all employers / jobs are the same. While Covid, flu etc could cause serious harm to my parents and others, I would stay away if I’m ill. I wouldn‘t choose to expose family, friends, colleagues to an illness, including a cold
I totally agree with that.
Nevertheless, in the past, when I was in jobs that do not pay for time off sick, I did go to work coughing and sneezing, even with a slight temperature.
Management expected nothing less from their staff.

Ajax Bay

Guru
When does 'got a bit of a cold' become 'ill'?
I entirely understand the wish to mitigate the risk of passing stuff on, but - and this is emphatically NOT a pot at chatters - if everyone didn't go into work if they 'had a bit of a cold' then the already poor productivity of this country will take a knock.
And services like health care, social care, public transport would struggle to provide the level of service the general public 'wants' as they would be down 15+% of their workforce all winter, as people stayed away with a bit of a cold that might be infectious (most colds are).
We have to find a modus vivendi which has the broad if not support then acquiescence of the general public.

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
That is what it felt like for me when I caught it in June, and for my wife when she caught it (in hospital) before Christmas.

Both of us fully vaccinated.

Tbf, my wife felt poorly for several days prior to testing positive, she had two negatives first so its important not to just take one test and assume all is well.
I've tested again tonight, negative. Raspy throught, headache, again, what you'd normally think were typical cold symptoms. Will continue testing for a few more days.

Wife felt really poorly this afternoon, concerning so. A bit brighter now but she did say, she'd never felt so unwell as earlier today.

gbb

Legendary Member
When does 'got a bit of a cold' become 'ill'?
I entirely understand the wish to mitigate the risk of passing stuff on, but - and this is emphatically NOT a pot at chatters - if everyone didn't go into work if they 'had a bit of a cold' then the already poor productivity of this country will take a knock.
And services like health care, social care, public transport would struggle to provide the level of service the general public 'wants' as they would be down 15+% of their workforce all winter, as people stayed away with a bit of a cold that might be infectious (most colds are).
We have to find a modus vivendi which has the broad if not support then acquiescence of the general public.

I've gone to work with howlers of a cold, i just isolate, distance myself from colleagues as much as possible and warn them. We all caught it off someone, someone's going to inevitably catch it off us. Its just part of life as far as I'm concerned. Look after yourself as much as possible, particually with diet to mitigate its effects, its about all you can do.

But then, I have quite a strong " constitution' can carry illness and still function. Lots of people can't, won't or don't. Some are just plain looking for an excuse to stay off work :laugh:

Top Bottom