Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
This is where the question of testing lies in my opinion, if for example I've got what I perceive to be a run of the mill cold I just carry on about my daily life as it's no big deal.

If however I was the type of person that gets the test kit out at every sign of a sniffle and it is in fact Covid what really changes?

I believe the rules, laws, guidance or whatever say I can still go to work or shopping etc so what's the point?

I
Certainly my employer states you can go to work with covid but must take precautions while there, mask wearing, distancing yourself etc etc. Of course, they accept if its making you feel too unwell, you stay at home, as they should.
Testing ? In many cases now it seems pointless, the world is carrying on now despite covid BUT, most of us have someone, usually in the family, that is vulnerable. If I caught covid and it wasn't too bad, I'd just think of it almost like a cold ( easy to say, I've not had covid yet, I may think differently if I actually did catch it ). I have a cold ATM but I'm testing out of respect to family and colleagues, they deserve to know if they're being potentially exposed.

postman

Legendary Member
My sister in law is on a covid ward here in Leeds at this moment.She went in to hospital very poorly with a kidney problem and caught covid while a patient.She was that ill over the next few days after xmas she was readmitted and was very very ill.She is still ill and it will be a longer stay till she is better.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Best of luck and resilience to your sister-in-law, Postie.
Of those in hospital who test positive for COVID-19, (someone correct me with better current figures) but one third are there primarily because of illness caused by infection and 2/3rds are there 'with' COVID-19. And a good proportion (on any bed day) of those 'with' have caught it in hospital.
Not sure how your s-i-l would be categorised - I guess it depends on whether the doctor responsible determines her re-admission is because of kidney malfunction or COVID-19.
Not that any of that helps her.

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife is now testing negative so covid seems to have done with her, she's still coughing like a goodun but livening up.
My cold is also easing, thumper of headache this morning, still coughing quite hard but no real runny nose etc, all good, we're on the way up. We even managed to have a bit of an early spring clean in the kitchen this morning, oven cleaned, a few cupboards tidied so she's showing her usual constitution.
Been testing for covid myself negative this morning. Unless I feel worse tomorrow, the main risk of catching it from her seems to have passed so there'll be no more need for testing.

Alex321

Veteran
Best of luck and resilience to your sister-in-law, Postie.
Of those in hospital who test positive for COVID-19, (someone correct me with better current figures) but one third are there primarily because of illness caused by infection and 2/3rds are there 'with' COVID-19. And a good proportion (on any bed day) of those 'with' have caught it in hospital.
Not sure how your s-i-l would be categorised - I guess it depends on whether the doctor responsible determines her re-admission is because of kidney malfunction or COVID-19.
Not that any of that helps her.

Yes, my wife caught it in Hospital when she was in for almost a fortnight, before Christmas.

Tested positive on the morning of the day they let her come home - as did just about everybody else on that ward.

C R

Guru
20230209_191332.jpg
The barstard finally caught up with me. Just cold symptoms, not even a temperature. Must have caught it during our trip to London over the weekend. :sad:

C R

Guru
Almost back to normal, just a bit of congestion. The vaccines have done their job as it wasn't any worse than any run of the mill cold.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You will all be more resistant / symptoms less likely to be severe now that your body has had the real monty as opposed to (as well as) a poke with the vaccine. And the effect of whatever vaccine you had (unless young (ie just over 50)) has waned, and continues to wane. The level of immunity after actual (with symptoms) COVID-19 will wane slower (refs available but icba).

The key individual measure everyone should take, for the benefit of others not themselves, is to stay away from the immuno-compromised or elderly, if they are a bit sick. Which is what reasonable people have been doing for decades. Last decade, did you go and visit/stay with one or both of your octogenarian grandparents if you're a bit sick?

ETA: Covid-19-vaccination-programme-for-2023

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
The level of immunity after actual (with symptoms) COVID-19 will wane slower (refs available but icba).

AFAIK there's conflicting evidence in this point; broadly speaking it seems either confers similar immunity, but both are better than either.
Without being too robust, I think you might bring along one reference if you're going to imply the balance of the evidence is not what I've asserted. Of course 'both are better than either'. Perhaps you'd like to define 'immunity', just so I understand. At least I acknowledged icba.

Top Bottom