Votes: 57 21.2%
  • I've been quaranteened

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • I personally know someone who has been diagnosed

Votes: 71 26.4%
  • Clear as far as I know

Votes: 150 55.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I think the humour thing depends on what's said and the context. You obviously knew your friend would find it funny, but you might not have said it to a stranger. I have seen some very funny posts and photos making fun of the situation, but also some insensitive stuff on Facebook etc that really wasn't funny. Also, joking about stuff in person with people you know, is very different to posting 'gallows humour' to the world.

PK99

Legendary Member
1584739110244.png

tyred

Legendary Member
About three times per day at work, one of the cleaners chases me away from my desk for a few minutes while she disinfects it for me before beckoning me over again to get back to work and going on to someone else.

PK99

Legendary Member
I think the humour thing depends on what's said and the context. You obviously knew your friend would find it funny, but you might not have said it to a stranger. I have seen some very funny posts and photos making fun of the situation, but also some insensitive stuff on Facebook etc that really wasn't funny. Also, joking about stuff in person with people you know, is very different to posting 'gallows humour' to the world.

Agree with all that - the public/broadcast version needs to be more gentle.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
In terms of how we are doing we are mentally ok. My wife and I are not huge social butterflies and I’m an introvert so the isolating / distancing is not such a wrench. My elderly mother however has cancelled her social diary and is a bit lost, especially with the leisure centre now being shut. I’m being somewhat more communicative with her and she’s finding out more about the mundanities of my life which is not something I normally see as worth sharing with her. But makes her feel less isolated at this time.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Oh and whilst out cycling solo today unexpectedly I saw a friend from our CTC group doing the same whilst passing on other side of road. So it was nice to greet each other as we passed in opposite directions.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Tonight's feel-good tv from the BBC

7.30pm Survivors (1975). A community of survivors struggle to stay alive in the wake of a global pandemic known as the Death that wiped out 99.98% of humanity.

Yay! Bring it on.

8.30pm Threads (1984). The effects of a nuclear holocaust on the working class city of Sheffield, England and the eventual long-term effects of nuclear war on civilization.

Wimps.

10pm Contagion. Healthcare professionals, government officials and everyday people find themselves in the midst of a pandemic as the CDC works to find a cure.

They cured it, losers.

11.30pm Mrs Browns Boys (boxset). A chance to see all your favourite episodes.

Click...Bang!.....thump of something heavy falling on the floor.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went down my local pub for what could be the last time. I walked in then straight back out again. No locals in,just late teens to mid 30's pissed up,probably coked up chavs! One was spewing up outside saying he was 'going to f..k..g kill someone',so i thought it wise to leave asap. Another self-gratification artist had a big horrible looking 'devil dog' which wasn't on a lead. I predict lots of civil unrest soon!

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I discovered eight kitchen rolls in the back of the van this afternoon. They were a bit battered....must have been in there for over a year. Anyway, I've cut each sheet in half and have decided to make them individually available to the general public. What do you reckon the starting bid should be?

Milzy

Guru
They're perishing all alone. People are saying they're going to die anyway eventually. Would it be immoral to not shut the economy down and carry on? Crime and suicides will sky rocket because of this. We will see more child poverty and homeless people on our streets. We will have stress and suffering for years.

Rocky

Hello decadence
They're perishing all alone. People are saying they're going to die anyway eventually. Would it be immoral to not shut the economy down and carry on? Crime and suicides will sky rocket because of this. We will see more child poverty and homeless people on our streets. We will have stress and suffering for years.
The modelling from Imperial College suggests that doing nothing and carrying on as before would lead to 500,000 deaths. The prediction is that with the previous social distancing measures 250,000 would die. These have now been ramped up - hopefully more lives will be saved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51979654

No approach is ideal - things are not going to be the same again, but it’s a case of following the least bad option.

Top Bottom