Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Stevenage is a big town (pop 90k) and it's on the main train lines from Cambridge and Peterborough to London and onwards (both lines have many "dormitory" towns along them), so easily reached for many hundreds of thousands more. The vaccination centre is also literally about 3 minutes off the A1. There was a significant council property available immediately... It seems to make perfectly good sense.
Them having one southish of London in Epsom and northish in Stevenage probably makes sense due to the pop. density and how the SE seems to be maybe the most infected at the moment.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Our GP practice was running drive in vaccinations for the elderly this weekend. Still no vaccination for the local care homes, where the risk is highest.

Oh and my brother is fuming. His business partner is off sick with Covid. He half owns a dental practice, and they have now lost half the appointments whilst his partner recovers. Said partner's brother fled London just before Christmas to spend it with his sister :wacko:, the whole family caught it. 'Oh it wasn't from my brother she said'. My brother hasn't been squeaky clean over Christmas either, as he spend Christmas day with the in-laws and his missus 3 sister's families (five in total). :wacko:
I don't think there is any easy answer to this. When people are putting their own and others' lives at risk, you could argue there is some kind of moral obligation to try to get them to see sense and obey the rules. They might one day thank you for it - and at least you can have a clear conscience that you tried even if unsuccessful.

What I don't understand is going by the anecdotal evidence on the corona threads here this is seemingly widespread. Where are people getting the information from that the virus is relatively harmless and you don't need to bother with any restrictions? Do they not see the footage of what is happening in hospitals in places of massive rates of infection?
Same here both my BIL's are just as bad but yet they all went out and clamped for big sis if they real want to help her just do what's been asked. They all live away from us it's less an issue at home though between me and Mrs 73 we've argued not to talk about.

And from a very small slice of the population I must assume that this problem is massive.

I'm frustrated that there is a tacit recognition of the problem in the News but why are there no very hard hitting broadcasts from the Gov about this?

Some people (lots by the look of it) need to be told forcibly that they are the problem.

I don't think we should pussyfoot around this issue as a society - being nice and advisory hasn't worked.:angry:

Johnno260

Veteran
Already being cited on news channels as the next step.

FWIW - I think the restriction should be exercise locally (with a radius figure) and on a household member/bubble basis only. With NO exceptions - and that includes cycling and those people who have signed the petition to open golf courses. The latter obviously having no concept of 'the thin end of the wedge' (pun intended).

I know in Germany a friend said for their area they have a 15km radius.

Alone is fine with me I'm a hermit cyclist anyway haha.

Shops need to get on board with this and get staff to fully understand they have a part in this too. Late yesterday afternoon a neighbour who's shielding ask me to go and get a bit of food shopping. So I call into our local tesco express One of the staff asked her supervisor if she can take off her masked when she's behind the till. Yes that ok she got told, as if an airborne virus is stopped by a plastic screen.
Why did she ask she complained her nose get sweaty sorry but get real if the likes of my and your wife can wear a much worse mask for 12 hours then she can cope. If she thinks that uncomfortable lord help her she get's covid and needs CPAP or worse then she will really have problems. Staff standing close to each other talking away or not even trying to avoid customers even when they can get out the way is not helping either.

I don't think they want the responsibility of enforcing, also seeing how belligerent and militant some are I can see why, then again I think some go out to cause issue, I know of cases where people have been filming themselves so when they get confronted they kick off, I know a friend when this happened in a hospital, wearing a mask is no different to places having dress codes, if you don't like it go elsewhere it's simple in my mind.

Johnno260

Veteran
Honestly Tom - this type of issue has become quite big in our household. It is straining some family and friendship relationships to the limit.

We cannot countenance even speaking to some of them right now. We don't want to permanently damage the relationships but some people will just not listen.

What do you do when someone says "***k the rules, no one is stopping me seeing my kids"? Three London households involved one of which is home to two NHS medical staff!!!

I'm generally quite upbeat re our ability to get on top of this situation compared to some but the above is dragging me down. :sad:

I have pretty much disowned 4 family members due to their behavior, not something I did lightly, but their actions and words were beyond anything acceptable.

It's to the point were I don't think I will ever want to build bridges with them as their comments and actions were so vile.

SpokeyDokey

I have pretty much disowned 4 family members due to their behavior, not something I did lightly, but their actions and words were beyond anything acceptable.

It's to the point were I don't think I will ever want to build bridges with them as their comments and actions were so vile.

That's really sad - we are trying very hard to avoid this happening here.

Johnno260

Veteran
That's really sad - we are trying very hard to avoid this happening here.
It's worth trying, I was called a Nazi sheep for being pro-mask and being compliant with rules in place, he also called my wife who is a nurse a puppet and an actress spewing government propaganda. other more extreme views were voiced as well.

I took the view my life and my families are better off without this kind of toxicity around.

All uphill

Still rolling along
It's worth trying, I was called a Nazi sheep for being pro-mask and being compliant with rules in place, he also called my wife who is a nurse a puppet and an actress spewing government propaganda. other more extreme views were voiced as well.

I took the view my life and my families are better off without this kind of toxicity around.
I'm sure you are right, there is nothing to be gained by expressing your view more than once.

Maybe they know they are acting selfishly and get angry because you have outed them?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I don't think we should pussyfoot around this issue as a society - being nice and advisory hasn't worked

I don't really agree with this.

We've communicated contradictory messages for months: "Cumings did what anyone would do"; "Eat out to Catch Covid"; "Stop skiving, Save Pret, Catch Covid"; "Here's a tier system we don't think will work"; "Save Christmas, Catch COVID"; "Schools are safe, oh no they're not"

Despite this, compliance has been pretty good generally - much of the evidence is that breaches are where people simply can't afford to comply. We should offer much clearer messaging and more support first.

I wouldn't support enforcement except where really egregious breaches are happening.

tom73

Guru
I don't think there is any easy answer to this. When people are putting their own and others' lives at risk, you could argue there is some kind of moral obligation to try to get them to see sense and obey the rules. They might one day thank you for it - and at least you can have a clear conscience that you tried even if unsuccessful.

What I don't understand is going by the anecdotal evidence on the corona threads here this is seemingly widespread. Where are people getting the information from that the virus is relatively harmless and you don't need to bother with any restrictions? Do they not see the footage of what is happening in hospitals in places of massive rates of infection?

The biggest issue is for any of this to work you need clear, consistent messaging and have confidence in who's giving it. Parts of the world with same freedoms of us that have this under control understand that. Without this less people are likely to follow the rules.
All of which we've never had. So it's been left to the likes of Whitty to effective break rank and go all out trying to get everyone to understand just how much s**t we are in right now. What is not helping them is he and others are being undermined by the media inc main stream.
Many just think if I can do x why not y as on the face of it makes no sense but from a public health , virology point of view it is. Which go's back to not being clear about the basics in the first place. Even then some of the i'm not stopping that/human rights only effective enforcement is likely to work.

None of which will work with the anti bunch only by being much more effective at getting the true message out and in ways that's accessible to all can you make it look totally without any fact.

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm sure you are right, there is nothing to be gained by expressing your view more than once.

Maybe they know they are acting selfishly and get angry because you have outed them?

If I felt this was true I would be more forgiving, but they seem totally confident and justified in their comments.

This view of theirs to be honest solidified my decision.

tom73

Guru

We've communicated contradictory messages for months: "Cumings did what anyone would do"; "Eat out to Catch Covid"; "Stop skiving, Save Pret, Catch Covid"; "Here's a tier system we don't think will work"; "Save Christmas, Catch COVID"; "Schools are safe, oh no they're not"

Despite this, compliance has been pretty good generally - much of the evidence is that breaches are where people simply can't afford to comply. We should offer much clearer messaging and more support first.

I wouldn't support enforcement except where really egregious breaches are happening.
That bring us to the other problem lack of effective support for people to be able to the right thing. Only 8% of the poor parts of Liverpool coming forward for testing in the rapid test trial is not coincidence. The other thing is practical support which is totally missing some who can simply can't. You can't isolate in multi house households. New York for example worked that out long ago.

SpokeyDokey

Well, without wanting to get too distracted by the confusion debate, right now it seems pretty simple to understand the stay at home/don't mix rules.

From what we are picking up here on CC today is that a whole lot of people who are far from unintelligent are willfully ignoring simple edicts. :sad:

That needs a very hard hitting message to address it.

One of our maintenance engineers has just died of COVID, 39 years old :sad:
sorry to hear that. I took 5 months off from my 2nd job, a part-time job at a big-box home improvement store. when I returned I was told one of my colleagues had died due to covid only a few weeks after I stopped going in. about 10 yrs ago he was my 1st day mentor. Charlie in appliances was a nice guy, maybe only 6 yrs older than me. I found over the past few weeks, my feelings & emotions have evolved. here's wishing you peace as you may come to terms with that specific news

Top Bottom