Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Because all of those also protect against spat droplet transmission? And remember, initially some leaders told their populations not to wear any sort of masks, sometimes for good reason (shortage of masks for health and care workers) and sometimes not.

I'd argue they were necessary because a 15% reduction of transmission would still be worth having at the relatively low cost (compared to lockdowns and shoot).
As regards the first sentence, yes of course and I completely agree. I doubt the general public had any thought these precautions were to protect against medically defined transmission. The vast majority would simply see transmission as airborne in the same way we do coughs, colds, flu etc.

Again I agree. I only phrased my comment as "possibly" because I know there are those who would argue it is/was a waste of time. I've been in favour of all the precautions the general public have been asked to take and feel we should all still be wearing masks and hand sanitising.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That is a terrible attempt at distraction. Anyone being admitted to hospital will either have an NHS arranged test beforehand or be tested on emergency admission. Admissions "because" of COVID-19 is because of severe COVID-19 symptoms: the main reason for being treated overnight (+) in hospital. All other admissions are "with not because of" COVID-19.
Yes, that's a terrible attempt at distraction. Of course, if you define "because of COVID-19" to be very very narrow and impractical, then you can claim that most admissions aren't that and that all is well despite the NHS Confederation's warning that "this Easter in the NHS is as bad as any winter [...and...] about half of those people are in hospital because of Covid".

"Those figures are occupancy and tell us little about admissions." Correct: I did not seek to tell you about admissions, nor purport so to do. Please keep up. Apologies for boring others who are.
So, your reply https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/coronavirus-outbreak.256913/post-6707674 was not replying to the post of mine it quoted, as it appeared from claiming "to look for data" about it, but it was actually making (repeating?) an entirely different and rather uninformative point. :wacko:

I'm sure many of us would find it much easier to keep up if your posts didn't keep taking us off into the long grass.

Ajax Bay

Guru
:rolleyes: and at no point have I "claim[ed] that . . . all is well [with the NHS]".
NHS Confederation 'warning' versus data?
Edit: "and 'about' half those people (who have tested +ve for COVID-19] are in hospital NOT because of COVID-19", as said.
Is that the 'royal we'?
Is there any short grass left on the wicket? (rhetorical)

Last edited:

mjr

:rolleyes: and at no point have I "claim[ed] that . . . all is well [with the NHS]".
It's not really a quote any more if more than half the words are changed.

Is that the 'royal we'?
Is there any short grass left on the wicket? (rhetorical)
I'm beginning to wonder if the we-we is being taken or all the grass has been smoked. (rhetorical)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Indie Sage's Friday summary slide:
1650837702573.png

Elaborations:
2. Don't know what they are referring to by "early vaccine rollout" - as opposed to late vaccine rollout? Or just "despite high levels of vaccination and boosters"?
3. They reported that of patients in hospital testing positive for COVID-19, 23% had caught it in hospital which they thought 'worrying'.
4. Deaths (with +ve test within 28 days) still up at 1000ish. Would be expected to fall given rate at #1.
6. Are there still problems of inadequate stocks of PPE? As for testing, all elective admissions have a PCR arranged 3 days before and are then advised to isolate in the days before admission. So I guess this is alluding to people not being able to do a (free) LFT before attending A&E (did they use to?).
7-10. Focus of this meeting was 'Long COVID'.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Indie Sage's Friday summary slide:
View attachment 641745
Elaborations:
2. Don't know what they are referring to by "early vaccine rollout" - as opposed to late vaccine rollout? Or just "despite high levels of vaccination and boosters"?
3. They reported that of patients in hospitalisation testing positive for COVID-19, 23% had caught it in hospital which is they thought 'worrying'.
4. Deaths (with +ve test within 28 days) still up at 1000ish. Would be expected to fall given rate at #1.
6. Are there still problems of inadequate stocks of PPE? As for testing, all elective admissions have a PCR arranged 3 days before and are then advised to isolate in the days before admission. So I guess this is alluding to people not being able to do a (free) LFT before attending A&E (did they use to?).
7-10. Focus of this meeting was 'Long COVID'.
Local A&E had a small booth in the carpark, where you were directed to go to do the test before going into the A&E.

Never tested when I arrived by ambulance. But the amount of PPE in use, and the measures taken within the department was unbelievable.

mjr

Local A&E had a small booth in the carpark, where you were directed to go to do the test before going into the A&E.

Never tested when I arrived by ambulance. But the amount of PPE in use, and the measures taken within the department was unbelievable.
Unbelievable as in lots or surprisingly little?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
So I guess this is alluding to people not being able to do a (free) LFT before attending A&E (did they use to?).
I clean in a hospital.
W
This hospital does not have an A&E, but a Minor Injuries and an Out of Hours.
I have not worked in the Minor Injury unit, so I don't know what they do there, but the Out of Hours department lateral flows everyone that comes through the door, even when LFs were free.
On another note, I wonder why the Chinese still implement lockdowns, while here we decided to end all restrictions.
Do they know something we don't?

Ajax Bay

Guru
On another note, I wonder why the Chinese still implement lockdowns, while here we decided to end all restrictions.
Do they know something we don't?
John Campbell has a general critique (aka rant) about the 'lock 'em up Jock' approach that seems to have a wave of the Canute about it.
Their approach to the science trumps Trump, iyswim.
He calls this video, with intended supreme irony "Learning from China".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TryFMOekX8w

Seevio

Guru
John Campbell has a general critique (aka rant) about the 'lock 'em up Jock' approach that seems to have a wave of the Canute about it.
Their approach to the science trumps Trump, iyswim.
He calls this video, with intended supreme irony "Learning from China".

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TryFMOekX8w

I watched this earlier. I was disappointed the video ended when it did as it was starting to have a bit of a lizard overlords and fake moon landings feel to it by the end.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
On NACA, @cookiemonster suggested dropping the "Zero Covid" policy is politically impossible before the autumn party

From my post in the 'Chi-na' thread on NACA -

Apart from the fact that the current Chinese Gov are a bunch of cnuts, there are two reasons why that are being reported here.

One, the Chinese made vaccines have been proven to be not as good as the Chinese people are being told. Sinovac, the main Chinese vaccine, has an efficacy rate of approx. 70%, about 20% lower than the Western made vaccines (which are not available on the Chinese mainland). Omicron has shown how ineffective their vaccines are hence the strict lockdowns.

Second, in November, Emperor Xinnie the Pooh will be inaugurated for a third term as President. This is huge and something that has not been seen since the days of Mao. Xi ripped up the 2 term rule, introduced by Deng Xiaoping when he wrested control of China, to ensure that China never gets ruled again by an autocrat with too much unchecked power. This will be stage managed to the minutest details and absolutely nothing at all will be allowed to disrupt that, including Omicron.

As a comparison, here in HK, all restrictions are in the process of being removed. We've been told that they'll be gone by the end of May.

Top Bottom