Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Did you all know that the vaccines were approved but approved for emergency use only?
Did you know I had mine then got Covid yet some of the population decided not to have any jabs & didn’t catch any Covid that they knew about?
The vaccines work as much as what sanctions do to stop wars.
Sometimes your bullshit is amusing and sometimes it is potentially harmful. Would you mind ditching the dangerous and concentrating on the funny? Thanks.

classic33

Leg End Member
Did you all know that the vaccines were approved but approved for emergency use only?
Did you know I had mine then got Covid yet some of the population decided not to have any jabs & didn’t catch any Covid that they knew about?
I have had neither flu nor flu jab, doesn't mean a thing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That's not been true in the UK for about a year! I forget which got full approval first but I'm pretty sure it was April. You need to ask your farmer for some fresher bull shoot!
That's just gibberish.

Alex321

Veteran
Did you all know that the vaccines were approved but approved for emergency use only?.
False.

That was only true for a very few weeks after they started to be rolled out.

Of course. That is always the way, with just about any disease. Very few vaccines are 100% effective, and I don't think there is any disease which is 100% contagious.

No, they are orders of magnitude more effective.

The figures from the Zoe app for my area Dudley - west Midlands are horrendous - easily the highest since the pandemic began.

Sure the official stats will plumet now free testing has ended - but in reality most everyone is going to get it - not sure what that will look like in a couple of weeks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sure the official stats will plumet now free testing has ended - but in reality most everyone is going to get it - not sure what that will look like in a couple of weeks.
Probably lots of people with coughs and sniffles, some people having serious or lingering problems and some people dying unnecessarily.

Three official stats won't plummet: the ONS random-testing survey that gives the "1 in 13" figure (currently); the number in hospital; and the deaths.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I tested positive today. Feels like man flu, started feeling unwell on Friday.

I get Vegan Man Flu. I let everyone know I've got it, but crack on anyway.
I tested positive today :sad: must have caught it off you :laugh: tbh I've had cold like symptoms for over a week, but 2 tests last week came back -ve so carried on as normal :blush: Having worked throughout the lockdowns, I'm surprised it's taken so long for me to be +ve

Vegan man flu isn't as meaty as real man flu, so you'll be fine to crack on anyway :laugh:
Speedy recovery mate, hope you're well soon:okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
React test and track study ends due to government funding cut, mention of new XE variant
Without Grauniad slant, here are the bases:
Prevalence-of-covid-19-remains-at-high-levels-across-the-country
Plan-for-living-with-covid
"The Test & Trace programme cost £15.7 billion in 2021/22. With Omicron now the dominant variant and less severe, levels of high immunity across the country and a range of strategies in place including vaccines, treatments, and public health knowledge, the value for taxpayers’ money is now less clear. Free testing should rightly be focused on at-risk groups.
"Our world-leading ONS survey will allow us to continue to track the virus in granular detail to help us spot any surges in the virus."
Finding and choosing a private coronavirus (COVID-19) test provider
"UKHSA’s most recent variant technical briefing includes examination of a number of recombinant variants which have been identified in the UK, . . . [and] new analysis examines 3 recombinants, known as XF, XE, and XD. Of these, XD and XF are recombinants of Delta and Omicron BA.1, while XE is a recombinant of Omicron BA.1 and BA.2."
"A total 637 cases of XE – a recombinant of Omicron BA.1 and BA.2 – have been confirmed in the UK so far [since mid Jan]. There is currently insufficient evidence to draw conclusions about growth advantage or other properties of this variant. XE, has shown a variable growth rate and we cannot yet confirm whether it has a true growth advantage. So far there is not enough evidence to draw conclusions about transmissibility, severity or vaccine effectiveness."

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
For those who would appreciate a succinct appraisal of where COVID (still) is in UK, I commend the Indie Sage recording from Friday, specifically Prof Pagel's superb summary (@2:11 to @23:02) in this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v8NboIKoAU

1649593338239.png

My only comment is that (citation required) over half the people admitted to hospital are not being admitted 'because of' COVID-19; they are testing +ve on admission. Of course this still places an additional burden on the hospital as they seek to avoid nosocomial infections.

Top Bottom