Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
They have never suggested it has "gone away", or anything close to that.
They are saying we are now entering the phase where we will have to live with it as "normal", just like flu etc.

Yes, whilst the medical profession has suggested that sensible precautions such as washing your hands, and wearing masks, would probably still help prevent transmission of infection.

Last edited by a moderator:

markemark

Über Member
Yes, whilst the medical profession has suggested that sensible precautions such as washing your hands, and wearing masks, would probably still help prevent transmission of infection.
Big drop where my wife works in cases of gastroenteritis which they attribute to increased hand washing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Big drop where my wife works in cases of gastroenteritis which they attribute to increased hand washing.
For some reason I understood that to be a big increase in gastroenteritis due to hand washing.

I was wondering if this was a new conspiracy theory: Hand washing causes gastroenteritis. We are being manipulated by Big Soap. Dirty hands, as nature intended, are best.

Sadly, such is the state of the world, I wasn't at all surprised by the existence of this theory. Then I read it properly.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They have never suggested it has "gone away", or anything close to that.
"while the pandemic is not over, we have now passed the peak of the Omicron wave, with cases falling, hospitalisations in England now fewer than 10,000 and still falling [...] we now have sufficient levels of immunity to complete the transition from protecting people with government interventions to relying on vaccines and treatments" comes pretty close to saying the threat has gone away IMO.

The claim that Omicron had reached its peak has also aged badly, as it now looks like it was a ripple in front of the wave:
1648821791577.png

They are saying we are now entering the phase where we will have to live with it as "normal", just like flu etc.
I don't think that is what they're saying but even that would be ridiculous because the less-deadly omicron is still worse than flu and how many suffer from "long flu"?

I could speculate on why they are saying these misleading things, but that would be political so better on NACA if you want.

Ummm?? 🤷‍♀️
I think he means IRONy; but that only works if anyone HAD said it has gone away. And helpfully mjr has reminded us what was ACTUALLY said:

"while the pandemic is not over, we have now passed the peak of the Omicron wave, with cases falling, hospitalisations in England now fewer than 10,000 and still falling [...] we now have sufficient levels of immunity to complete the transition from protecting people with government interventions to relying on vaccines and treatments"
[my bold]

vickster

Legendary Member
I think he means IRONy; but that only works if anyone HAD said it has gone away. And helpfully mjr has reminded us what was ACTUALLY said:

"while the pandemic is not over, we have now passed the peak of the Omicron wave, with cases falling, hospitalisations in England now fewer than 10,000 and still falling [...] we now have sufficient levels of immunity to complete the transition from protecting people with government interventions to relying on vaccines and treatments"
[my bold]
None the wiser sorry, long week. I'm off to the gym!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
To be honest if we weren’t testing ourselves , I doubt we would have noticed much wrong !? Eldest has had probably what would be described as cold for 48hrs and that was it. The fatigue was leading up to it. My wife not quite the same , just fatigue but nothing else. The testing was just by chance as described further back. Strange really, not a bad thing to be honest , no serious illness .

Rest of us are still negative so far…….

Update I’m still negative , however her in doors has lost her taste :whistle:

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

[my bold]
Yeah, go watch a clip of that statement: your bold emphasis is totally absent and "while the pandemic is not over" precedes a long section suggesting that the dangerous bit is basically over. I feel it's a textbook example of including something simply so his supporters can use it to reject an accurate summarising of the rest of the reckless statement.

Only vaguely on-topic I know, but I am thrilled to learn that it seems I've been accepted for a clinical trial of booster omicron-variant vaccine. I've been on the vaccine trial registry since it first came out but there's been nothing for which I was eligible within acceptable reach. First appointment (by phone) tomorrow and if I pass that screening, I'll be making a visit to the centre participating in the trial and if I pass that, I'll be getting a booster jab of either Spikevax or an omicron-variant version of it.
Been accepted and have my first appointment at the trial centre on Thursday next.

Milzy

Guru
Did you all know that the vaccines were approved but approved for emergency use only?
Did you know I had mine then got Covid yet some of the population decided not to have any jabs & didn’t catch any Covid that they knew about?
The vaccines work as much as what sanctions do to stop wars.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Did you all know that the vaccines were approved but approved for emergency use only?

Did you know I had mine then got Covid yet some of the population decided not to have any jabs & didn’t catch any Covid that they knew about?

The vaccines work as much as what sanctions do to stop wars.
Two self-evident statements and a ridiculous analogy - what's the point you're trying to make ?

Top Bottom