Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Brexit + Coronavirus

We're doomed - doomed

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

I've just received this text

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
My nephew studies at a university in Edinburgh, where someone is currently being tested for Coronavirus. Concerning times for the family at the moment.

Magpies

Virologists here have noticed that people can be infectious before showing any symptoms. The mortality rate is 2-3% whereas seasonal ‘flu is less than 1%.

People with most kinds of respiratory viral infections (or even chickenpox) can be infectious before showing any symptoms.

It is surprisingly hard to estimate the true case-fatality ratio of rapidly spreading respiratory infections like influenza or the ongoing novel coronavirus outbreak. A substantial number who get the infection have mild or no symptoms, are never diagnosed, and are therefore not counted in the denominator of the ratio.

Also, for seasonal influenza, the majority of deaths are in older individuals with pre-existing health conditions. It is not yet clear whether this is true for the new coronavirus. At least, there is no firm evidence yet that the coronavirus is mutating rapidly (unlike for example, the H5N1 avian 'flu virus), which seemed to quickly become increasingly severe after making its first "jump" from birds to humans.

Sensible precautions are fine, of course, but I wouldn't be too worried (at least yet).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
View attachment 504412

I've just received this text

I’ve had two already basically saying stay away...

On a maybe more serious note, I read the other day (quoting some medical bod I seem to remember) that the london tube wasn't a great problem.

But how can this be if the uber car someone went to hospital in is being deep cleaned?

And I gather similarly occupied ambulances are going to be?

Top Bottom