Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is anyone using this App? and is there any reason not to?
https://covid.joinzoe.com/
You've no way of telling what data it's collecting from your device, it demands permissions like reading your contacts book, accessing your camera/microphone and reading your device storage and data network connections without explaining what it's going to do with all that (beyond having a privacy policy), it's version 0.0.1, reviews suggest it has basic bugs, it's not been uploaded to the more secure appstores... and in general, I feel we shouldn't reward KCL and "Zoe Global Limited" for not supporting the transparent fevermap.net effort.

Sorry for that rant but you did ask why not... :smile: There's going to be a lot of scammers succeeding if people install crap apps just because they've got a famous name on them.

Maybe it's quite possible to observe social distancing. I'm sure when my windows were fitted the two guys worked in different rooms
Again what BJ said the other night overides the 2m rule
Unless you are a key worker - you don't work.

tom73

Guru
Maybe it's quite possible to observe social distancing. I'm sure when my windows were fitted the two guys worked in different rooms

So did they arrive in a van each , only loaded the van without help, kept min 2m for everyone else in warehouse, factory floor.
ect ,ect

vickster

Legendary Member
Again what BJ said the other night overides the 2m rule
Unless you are a key worker - you don't work.
I'm just hypothesising why someone might do it.
Construction has not been banned if the 2m rule can be observed unless that's changed since lunchtime

vickster

Legendary Member
So did they arrive in a van each , only loaded the van without help, kept min 2m for everyone else in warehouse, factory floor.
ect ,ect
They might live together, who knows. Maybe no one else was in the warehouse? The windows may have been thoroughly sanitised and sat waiting to be fitted for several days in uv sunlight?
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but it may have been done in full accordance with the rules as they currently stand (whether those rules are right is not down to me, but made by the gov, CMO, CSO, HSE etc)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Is anyone using this App? and is there any reason not to?

https://covid.joinzoe.com/
I'm using it. @Brompton Bruce cautioned against using it on a different thread*, though, lest it give a false sense of security. As far as I can see, it doesn't directly help the people giving the information but it helps medical research build a picture, which may in turn help the info giver.

*And on this thread I subsequently learned.

Last edited:
To add a bit further thought.

If the vulnerable person comes back positive for the anti bodies it may mean that their sheilding can be relaxed as they should have some immunity now. But if it comes back negative then the other two will realise they need to keep shielding the vulnerable person and that what they are doing is working. If you test either of the others and they come back positive. Then they might get a bit lax about taking social distance and hygiene precautions which may lead to the virus being brought on hands into the household. The I'm now immune and can't infect them thinking. Vulnerable person gets infected. Outcome unknown. If you test the one who goes out the most and they come back negative. They may think this social distancing thing isn't necessary and get lax. The economically active person may also come to the same conclusion. Again virus brought into household, vulnerable member gets it. Outcome unknown.

It's best to let the ones who are shielding think they could still be infected at any point and therefore take precautions to protect the vulnerable.
Thanks for this.
Not arguing with your reasoning it but isn't this very gloomy and horrific?
As in elderly may be under severe threat from this until the end of their lives?

Linked to the severe worry i have about there being no exit strategy until a vaccine?

I'm just hypothesising why someone might do it.
Construction has not been banned if the 2m rule can be observed unless that's changed since lunchtime
Really I thought unless you were a key worker - the message was to stay at home
If you are a key worker then you observe the 2m rule.

But observing the 2m rule - doesn't overide the key worker statement IMO

tom73

Guru
They might live together, who knows. Maybe no one else was in the warehouse? The windows may have been thoroughly sanitised and sat waiting to be fitted for several days in uv sunlight?
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do but it may have been done in full accordance with the rules as they currently stand (whether those rules are right is not down to me, but the gov, CMO, CSO, HSE etc)

Unless these hypothetical windows are broken or unsafe having the window men round just to fit new windows in the current situation is not the best way to keep safe and save a lives.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I'm using it. @Brompton Bruce cautioned against using it on a different thread, though, lest it give a false sense of security. As far as I can see, it doesn't directly help the people giving the information but it helps medical research build a picture, which may in turn help the info giver.
If it’s official NHS research it should have been approved by an official research ethics committee and offer a GDPR statement about what will happen to your data, how you can opt out and how you can get your data deleted. You should also know exactly what your data is being used for. As a member of an NHS REC, I’d counsel against using it.

Edit: their existing GDPR statement doesn’t say exactly what your data is being used for. I also see that they use Amazon and Google to process it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom