Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Really I thought unless you were a key worker - the message was to stay at home
If you are a key worker then you observe the 2m rule.

But observing the 2m rule - doesn't overide the key worker statement IMO
No, construction is permitted for now. It's all over the news
Coronavirus: Construction firms split as shutdown calls grow https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52034586
The message is to stay at home unless your job cannot be done at home and if you do go to work, observe 2m rule, handwashing etc. Maybe this will change as it should.

Have you not watched the press conferences?

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks for this.
Not arguing with your reasoning it but isn't this very gloomy and horrific?
As in elderly may be under severe threat from this until the end of their lives?

Linked to the severe worry i have about there being no exit strategy until a vaccine?

Who would you give it to in your family (we can go beyond households here)?

I would give it to my father, but I think the logical choice on best outcome is probably for me to have the test.

Reactions: mjr
No, construction is permitted for now. It's all over the news
Coronavirus: Construction firms split as shutdown calls grow https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52034586
The message is to stay at home unless your job cannot be done at home and if you do go to work, observe 2m rule, handwashing etc. Maybe this will change as it should.

Have you not watched the press conferences?
Well the first paragraph says "amid confusion about the advice"

Think Hancock muddied the waters with his "unless you can't work from home" - really if we allow that there isn't really a lockdown and the virus will continue to spread.

Reply to @marinyork above

I wasn't addressing who should have the test issue. Rather the worry of never being able to relax with regard to elderly people, ie the fact that even if you have had it you can still pass it on.

vickster

Legendary Member

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I wasn't addressing who should have the test issue. Rather the worry of never being able to relax with regard to elderly people, ie the fact that even if you have had it you can still pass it on.

Exactly. If I had it and tested positive I would still be worried that I could pass it on and somehow got it so still be doing the same things. I'd have a bit of protection so less likely to pass it on.

If I knew I was negative I'd carry on doing the same things as they have worked.

Either way as you say no relaxing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think you are looking for loopholes - and sure you can find them and look pretty clever in the process.
General principle is that if you aren't a key worker stay at home.
Look, I'm sorry if you think the government isn't being as strict as you would, but the guidelines are what they are and it's not for us to judge each other, or try to con others into following stricter rules.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think you are looking for loopholes - and sure you can find them and look pretty clever in the process.
General principle is that if you aren't a key worker stay at home.
I'm not at all, that's been the guidance, there's no mention of key workers in bullet 4 number staying at home
The news has been completely full of reports about the self employed, especially construction workers having to travel and work away from the home as the provisions for the self employed have not yet been confirmed.

Anyhow it's all there to read, watch, listen to so I'm done

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
One of my self-employed joiners has been told by his accountant that they're going to take the last 3 year's of self-assessment, divide it by 36 and pay 80% of that. Once agreed, construction sites will close.
This would be similar to some other European countries which have already announced. There will be an upper limit, presumably the same as PAYE claimants

vickster

Legendary Member
Hilarious if true. There will be a lot of hard up Sparky's , decorators, chippies - who stick £10k profits on the books each year !!!
Seems potentially there'll be a £2500 ceiling / month as for those on PAYE (and they'll take back any overpayments)
...those who have cooked the books might find HMRC looking more closely at their last 3 years accounts?

vickster

Legendary Member
What happens if they don't yet have 3 years accounts?
No idea - maybe they'll estimate based on what there is and if after 3 years there's been overpayment, the money will be charged back?

maybe @Joey Shabadoo knows

This hasn't actually been announced yet (tomorrow by all accounts).

When it is, contact your accountant

Last edited:
Top Bottom