Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Look, I'm sorry if you think the government isn't being as strict as you would, but the guidelines are what they are and it's not for us to judge each other, or try to con others into following stricter rules.
Quite right, and the rule isn’t ‘Key workers’ are the only ones allowed to work, it’s ‘if your role in a company makes it impossible to work from home you can go to work, as long as your employer is still functioning’

Seems potentially there'll be a £2500 ceiling / month as for those on PAYE (and they'll take back any overpayments)
...those who have cooked the books might find HMRC looking more closely at their last 3 years accounts?
I thought the opposite - those who work cash in hand - and don't put a lot income through the books are going to get 80% of that declared income.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks for this.
Not arguing with your reasoning it but isn't this very gloomy and horrific?
As in elderly may be under severe threat from this until the end of their lives?

Linked to the severe worry i have about there being no exit strategy until a vaccine?

Not really as vaccines will come but they take time. That’s what we are buying right now, time.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Maybe it's quite possible to observe social distancing. I'm sure when my windows were fitted the two guys worked in different rooms
Slightly different. We have a gardener once a fortnight. He has a key to the gate.
I left him the money in an envelope. He came, did the job, took the money and went. So, technically non urgent but he observed all the social distance stuff.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
No idea if the self-employed thing is true, just what I've been told. Whilst there are those who downplay their income, they're a minority. Guys working on the sites are paid through the contractor-sub contractor chain and records are kept.

No idea if the self-employed thing is true, just what I've been told. Whilst there are those who downplay their income, they're a minority. Guys working on the sites are paid through the contractor-sub contractor chain and records are kept.
I used to work at HMRC and in certain professions the majority of cases I investigated were under declaring.
Tax evasion is much more rife than benefit fraud - but for some reason benefit fraud gets the headlines.

Skibird

Of course SOME things are, not everything however.

The argument made was purely financial, what price would you put on possibly infecting somebody?
It MAY have been purely financial BUT the self employed are the only one's at present that are not being offered ANY support, unlike ALL those on PAYE, so unless you are that self employed parent, wondering how you are going to put food on the table (WHICH IS A REALITY), who are you to judge? Nothing about this is black and white and every situation is different.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Seems potentially there'll be a £2500 ceiling / month as for those on PAYE (and they'll take back any overpayments)
...those who have cooked the books might find HMRC looking more closely at their last 3 years accounts?
And you will have to deduct any income you actually manage to earn in this period from the claim. Taking my example I'm above the upper limit for last three years on self assessed earnings. I will have a smallish retainer continuing throughout so that will need to come off the £2,500 a month (or whatever it is)

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
@Pale Rider re earlier questions on "fizzling out", there's a great resource here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

The plots produced are cases rather than deaths, which makes it prone to testing bias, but you can look by country.

China clearly has it licked, Italy may just have turned a corner.

1585159483058.png

Skibird

I think you are looking for loopholes - and sure you can find them and look pretty clever in the process.
General principle is that if you aren't a key worker stay at home.
No, Vickster is correct. Every day the PM has said more than once, " you can go to work if you can't work from home, but if you have to go to work, observe the guidelines set by the WHO".

No, Vickster is correct. Every day the PM has said more than once, " you can go to work if you can't work from home, but if you have to go to work, observe the guidelines set by the WHO".

The initial statement from BJ said only go to work if absolutely necessary.

Since then I believe Matt Hancock - has diluted this by saying you go to work if you can't work from home.

There is confusion as trade unions and sadik Khan have called for non essential construction work to be halted.

I was just going on BJ Address to the nation.

Here you go - hope this clarifies it
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52034586

"But Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, told ITV only construction workers doing jobs "critical to the economy" should go in.
He added that builders should not be going into people's homes."

Top Bottom