Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Went to our local Morrisons this evening and we had to queue outside (fine) the process of which was controlled by a very surly security guy and...

... whilst waiting outside a trolley man came trundling along and bumped into lovely Wife - great!

... whilst perusing the toiletries section a staff member came and stood right by Lovely Wife to check a price, Lovely Wife complained and the staff member apologised.

... two staff pushed by us with large stock cages and we didn't have time to get out of the way. We complained and just got two dirty looks.

... about 5 or 6 customers in the store got very close to us and we complained to all of them and one guy got stroppy.

Morrisons paying lip service to the 2m restriction and some of Joe Public simply have not got a clue.

Went to Customer Service to give them details of our experience and the Duty Manager could not be found!!!

Gave up and went home.

Mad world!

stowie

Legendary Member
What about the numerous corner shops still operating?

Our local "corner shops" are operating strict restrictions on the number of people in the store and some are card only now. Our independent food shops tend to be quite big (usually bigger than the average Tesco metro) as they carry a large variety of stock to cater for the diverse population in my area so I guess this helps.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Our local "corner shops" are operating strict restrictions on the number of people in the store and some are card only now. Our independent food shops tend to be quite big (usually bigger than the average Tesco metro) as they carry a large variety of stock to cater for the diverse population in my area so I guess this helps.
Different here, corner shops are really small.
I've also seen several small takeaways still operating, without enforcing the social distance rule, which could not be enforced between staff anyway.
It will take a month from now until the peak of contagions is revealed, imo.

PK99

Legendary Member
We are in 14 day quarantine.

A friend did some shopping for us at Waitrose mid morning today.

Car park half full.
Widely spaced queue to get in
1 out 1 in
Very limited number of people in store
Everything we wanted in stock
Only alternate checkout tills occupied
Enough tills that max 1 person queueing behind person ar checkout.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Just out:

"As of 9am on 25 March 2020, a total of 97,019 people have been tested, of which 87,490 were confirmed negative and 9,529 were confirmed positive. 463 patients in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) have died."

We knew the (surprisingly low) fatalities. What the figures above show, is that only 6,583 were tested during the past 24 hours, with another 1,452, or 22% testing positive. The number of people tested and % positive hardly changed from the previous day.

It was last Wednesday at PMQ when Boris said tests would be increased to 10,000 then 25,000 a day, and the nhs said ramping up to 10,000 over two weeks ago.

Where are the test kits? And then the lack of PPE for folks on the front line, it is utter shambles.

ozboz

Guru
Went to our local Morrisons this evening and we had to queue outside (fine) the process of which was controlled by a very surly security guy and...

... whilst waiting outside a trolley man came trundling along and bumped into lovely Wife - great!

... whilst perusing the toiletries section a staff member came and stood right by Lovely Wife to check a price, Lovely Wife complained and the staff member apologised.

... two staff pushed by us with large stock cages and we didn't have time to get out of the way. We complained and just got two dirty looks.

... about 5 or 6 customers in the store got very close to us and we complained to all of them and one guy got stroppy.

Morrisons paying lip service to the 2m restriction and some of Joe Public simply have not got a clue.

Went to Customer Service to give them details of our experience and the Duty Manager could not be found!!!

Gave up and went home.

Mad world!
On a similar note, I was in Waitrose Sheen, in one of the food isles there were 3 members of staff each with a cage , supposedly filling the shelves , but they were having a jolly dee time launching empty boxes at each other jumping up and down and squealing like kids and blocking the isle so shoppers were having a problem passing and taking things off the shelves , you would hope a manager would sort them out , but when you need one ......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I feel very guilty now - as most parents do about anything to do with their children!
Please try not to. You did what you thought best based on what you knew at that time. That's the best you can do.

Now just keep an eye on her and watch out for symptoms, maybe taking her temperature daily or twice a day until next week and take good care of each other as I expect you would anyway.

Skibird

So a wage for one is potentially worth another’s life?
At what price level would that start and stop for example??
I have already said, who are you to judge when someone has to work out how they are going to put food on the table for their family???? And again, nothing is black and white, every situation is different. If I was a builder, I would not want to go to one of the construction sites we have been seeing, however, 1 person repairing/building/maintaining something while following PHE guidelines is a totally different situation.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

Gave up and went home.

Mad world!
I had similar in Tesco yesterday. Had to pop in for a prescription.
The pharmacy has a barrier across so you can't lean on the counter. I made like a queue, well back from the woman that was already being served and eventually got beckoned down to the other end of the barrier by another assistant. So far so good.
Then two members of staff came along with rolls of tape and called over to ask the pharmacist which way they were queueing people etc. They decided that given the size of the area they should put another taped square on the floor "Where the man is standing" and started walking over to me, so I backed away. "No, you're ok, we just wanted to put some tape on the floor." :wacko:
There were a few other little incidents too, simliar to yours (I only needed a pack of butter so was only in there for minutes), including at the self service where the assistant, that was very busy scrubbing everything down along with two of her colleagues, didn't seem to realise when she beckoned me in to use one of the machines that the markings on the floor applied to her as well and wouldn't move from the entrance until I final gesticulated shooing away while asking her to move back.

alicat

Legendary Member

Gave up and went home.

Mad world!

Similar in my local Morrisons. None of the staff were observing the 2m rule so I turned on my heels and went home.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Gave up and went home.

Mad world!
My only advice would be to not give up

This is ultra serious. As a nation we aren't great complainers. But times being what they are we have to tell people to back off whether they like it or not. And we have to tell people in charge of "essential stores" if their staff or customers aren't following the 2m requirements

Lives really are at stake as we all know so we all need to abandon our British reserve and tell folk like it is

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My only advice would be to not give up

This is ultra serious. As a nation we aren't great complainers. But times being what they are we have to tell people to back off whether they like it or not. And we have to tell people in charge of "essential stores" if their staff or customers aren't following the 2m requirements

Lives really are at stake as we all know so we all need to abandon our British reserve and tell folk like it is
Indeed. Don't only post here. Post on their social media or email them. Needs to go higher than store manager by the sounds of it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Dyson have been ordered to make 10,000 ventilators:eek: surley they could find a company that doesn't charge 4x more for their products than everyone else :banghead: he'll be crowing about his special futuristic bellows that he will be convinced is the future..

I should visit the " companies you won't use after" thread

Dyson have been ordered to make 10,000 ventilators:eek: surley they could find a company that doesn't charge 4x more for their products than everyone else :banghead: he'll be crowing about his special futuristic bellows that he will be convinced is the future..

I should visit the " companies you won't use after" thread

I hope they're better quality than his vacuum cleaners, which are both poorly designed and not particularly well made.

Top Bottom