Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I had no idea the comment was about Germany, and I did not say there was no evidence of a slow down - I just asked for his source.

I agree the evidence shows there is a slowdown in Germany. I would be interested in a source making specific claims for R0, in Germany or anywhere else indeed.

Unkraut's lived in Germany a long, long time. It's also interesting as little reported from abroad - this was the case for Italy where stuff said on italian tv was reported hours/days later or even inaccurately or sometimes never.

My point was often locally health officials say things that aren't attributable. Not quoted in the written media anyway, often tv sources only. We had this locally about the virus's spread vs London and other things which may look totally nuts compared to the opaque and basic figures released about specific areas. The private information sheds a different light on it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
If Labour were in power it would still be the Tories fault :laugh:

Correct in the terms of inherited a hollowed out health service only 2 months before.

As for their actions we will never know.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sure, if people are basing views on private info, let's hear it.

Going on about people not understanding exponential curves and the like? People can't read graphs? I mean really.

Private means private. You won't hear it, that's the point, maybe in 3 months or six months or a year or so if you're delving through some academic paper talking about hospital admissions and attributing the person saying it or the figures they saw for infection rates in Germany in late March 2020 you will.

If you speak german, got those skills being used and get out there and come back with some useful stuff for a change.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We should ask scientists about putting Brexit ideology ahead of ventilators?

I think we can guess the answer.

And we both know there were no scientists involved in the decision.

If you know precisely what happened over our participation or not in an EU plan to bulk buy ventilators you know a great deal more than me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The response looks well organised to me.
How!?!?

Did whatever happened with that email knock us back to any great degree?
Probably. To assess, ask questions like: do we have more or less new ventilators per capita than participants?

As Gove said in one of the briefings, we've been buying ventilators all over the place, including from the EU.
Can we buy more or less quickly if we do all the negotiation ourselves?

There's been some problems with protective clothing, but if the demand for anything spikes significantly there will be shortages.
Have we requisitioned any factories yet? Our neighbours have.

Our manufacturing companies have proved themselves adept at turning their hand to making stuff they don't usually make.
Really? What was it, 30 ventilators this weekend? Contrary to this government repeatedly thanking its friends like JCB and Dyson, the overwhelming majority of ventilator production is being done by existing suppliers running their capacity at 110% or more of its normal maximum, running shifts 24 hours and taking extraordinary steps to reduce stoppages with some increased costs and a lot of worker goodwill because this is literally a life-or-death effort - but most of them get fark all thanks from government and scepticism from certain people that they're actually working on ventilator parts.

Examining the alternatives is not whataboutery, it's a valid part of assessing performance and what could be expected.

Chuck Johnson and Hancock in the Thames if you like, but there's no point in doing that unless there is or was something better to put in their place.
"Other people would have done worse" still does not mean that this group are doing well!

The chancellor should also get an honourable mention.

Brilliant job by him and his staff to come up with two huge rescue plans in such short order.
Less great that it's failed to launch in a prompt manner, especially the stuff for self-employed, and that loads of people have been laid off. Also, government agency closures/restructurings planned for 1 April went ahead as planned, leaving loads more people without a job and no immediate prospect of being able to find another one, instead of delaying the closures and furloughing the workers.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As you're now resorting to claiming to believe the "lost the email" story, it's probably time to draw a veil over your embarrassment.
Again, thanks for the concern but I'm not resorting to anything.

The lost email story looks more likely than some Brexit ideology conspiracy - why the need to do it?

The Brexit battle was long since won, what would the Tories lose by taking part in the plan if they thought it was the best thing to do?

Taking cock up over conspiracy is always a good maxim.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
The lost email story looks more likely than some Brexit ideology conspiracy - why the need to do it?

And again you know this is gash.

As if the EU would just send out an email and not have solid direct contact through decades long established lines.

Oh yeah, and this again on the subject.

Well we all know about the two incompatible statements that were put out about it.

Top Bottom