Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I'm intrigued to hear more about the dark side of Florence Nightingale. I've only ever really thought about her for her work in data visualisation.

Yes she did good but had many issues. She sistamatialy openly attacked Mary Seacole throughout the war, after it and her role in it. She said she ran nothing more than a brothel. She blocked her at every turn. Refused to let her be one of her Nurse's even though she had experience and had travel all over the world , stopped her getting any supplies or money. So she funded her own travel opened her own hospital The troops however loved Mary and her work she become known as "mother Seacole". Florence nursed well away from action. Mary however was on the front line often riding out on horse back risking it all to treat troops on the battle field. Something we'd now call pre hospital care.

So popular was she that Queen Victoria felt she needed to meet her. Florence soon put pay to that making it clear that Mary's role noting more than a brothel keeper and she was not worthy of a meeting.

She did much for Nursing however she was not one for personal care very much Doctor, Nurse know's best. Only one way only her way.
she was massively outspoken about making Nursing a profession and having a register. Only the nice respectable ladies could be a Nurse.
The main and only problem Florence had was Mary was black. It's only now that Mary is getting the respect she is well overdue.

“….and the grateful words and smile which rewarded me for binding up a wound or giving a cooling drink was a pleasure worth risking life for at any time.” Mary Seacole

Wonderful Adventures of Mrs Seacole in Many Lands her autobiography is a good read.

tom73

Guru
I'm sure, unfortunately, that some local names of nurses, health care assistants, advisors, doctors, paramedics, gps, care workers and other staff can be thought up. A mere four candidates who died named yesterday unfortunately.

Very true but think that would be too political.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Be nice if a true pioneer of nursing got a look in one Mary Seacole. But sadly old Florence soon made sure she was airbrushed from history.
Edith Cavell would be a nice for one too she also showed true humanity.
There was a petition to name one of the new field hospitals NHS Seacole.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Be nice if a true pioneer of nursing got a look in one Mary Seacole. But sadly old Florence soon made sure she was airbrushed from history.
Edith Cavell would be a nice for one too she also showed true humanity.
I'm intrigued to hear more about the dark side of Florence Nightingale. I've only ever really thought about her for her work in data visualisation.
GAH!!!!! Can't one of you two choose a different Avatar?

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Haven't got the faintest idea what our so called government is thinking, but I believe the obvious vision is to tread water, until a vaccine that is commonly available is found.

As to what treading water means, Singapore's strategy is a good demonstration.Visually, it is this:

View attachment 512516

It is not rocket science, essentially it is for the government to open and close levers of restrictions, to ensure the number of active cases (in orange) requiring medical attention is a manageable figure and not overwhelming, which can be achieved if those who have recovered (blue) and those who can be discharged for isolation (yellow) are no less than the newly infected on a daily basis.

Right now our active cases have obviously gone through the roof due to the Government and their chosen scientists asleep at the helm. If and when active cases get down to a manageable level after XX,XXX have perished, the above strategy will be available.
Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, China (whatever controversy regarding recent numbers) are basically like 100 years ahead of the west in their response.
When it is all settled and total lockdown of Europe has produced more deaths and economic pain we can only hope people responsible for it will be accounted for it

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I don't know if this was posted before but I thought this was a pretty amazing and quite positive story. A German 'flying hospital' was sent to Italy to help
1586006501400.png

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/02/germ...alys-hardest-hit-coronavirus-region-12499518/

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't know if this was posted before but I thought this was a pretty amazing and quite positive story. A German 'flying hospital' was sent to Italy to help
View attachment 512531

https://metro.co.uk/2020/04/02/germ...alys-hardest-hit-coronavirus-region-12499518/
I'd have a quick word with the photo editor and ask him why the plane has a Swiss flag emblazoned on its tail - that exterior photo of the plane is of a Swiss Rega one, which serves Switzerland and Liechtenstein. That's a different European cooperation.

Top Bottom