Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
oh maybe he's just telling us as it is. The press keep asking the question the more talk of maybe we can lesson the lockdown.
Just leads to more people thinking it's ok to push things that little bit more.
it's simple what come's next more people start to not play by the rules the more people die.
Until the data show's the heat is starting to go and it's not just a one off.
Then we can talk about what to do next. Take the eye of ball now and it will get even worse.

With deaths still sadly rising - why are people discussing ending the lockdown ?

As far as I can tell there is no evidence that the lockdown has worked yet. Look how long Italy has been in lockdown.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
With deaths still sadly rising - why are people discussing ending the lockdown ?

Whatever we do next, it will involve loss of civil liberties, further economic damage and further loss of life.

I think it's really important there is both a proper debate over the right balance, and time to prepare professionally for it.

Sure, it'll be wrong and need changing, but much better that than a policy which literally seems to be to hope it'll turn out ok.

The main lesson for us so far is that we wasted the time we had to plan and prepare. Let's not do that again.

Reactions: mjr

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

As far as I can tell there is no evidence that the lockdown has worked yet. Look how long Italy has been in lockdown.

Because there are loads of people out there that think it'll be over in a couple of weeks.

TV journalists on national news are a highly mobile, affluent bunch of people. In some senses they are good people to get a sense of what's going on, in other senses it'd be the last bunch of people on earth you'd want reporting on some matters e.g. care homes or just hopelessly out of touch with reality or sometimes go into a lot of riskier places so think less about the risk/consequences for the public.

It’s nice ( well as nice as it can be ) to see that the stats are showing a levelling ( again ). Given the incubation period of this thing, this shows ( again ) that the less draconian lockdown steps were indeed adequate, and this current situation is unwarranted in it’s extremity. There are an increasing number of experts who are seeing it that way as well. Let’s hope the powers that be listen to them.

Whatever we do next, it will involve loss of civil liberties, further economic damage and further loss of life.

I think it's really important there is both a proper debate over the right balance, and time to prepare professionally for it.

Sure, it'll be wrong and need changing, but much better that than a policy which literally seems to be to hope it'll turn out ok.

The main lesson for us so far is that we wasted the time we had to plan and prepare. Let's not do that again.
In that context I agree - but given how long Italy has been in a tighter lockdown - and are still in the mire - I don't see how we can be anywhere near the other side.
End of May at the very earliest IMO.

It’s nice ( well as nice as it can be ) to see that the stats are showing a levelling ( again ). Given the incubation period of this thing, this shows ( again ) that the less draconian lockdown steps were indeed adequate, and this current situation is unwarranted in it’s extremity. There are an increasing number of experts who are seeing it that way as well. Let’s hope the powers that be listen to them.

I think you are confusing experts with people who think that " some people will die - so be it."

For me the less people that die the better.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
In that context I agree - but given how long Italy has been in a tighter lockdown - and are still in the mire - I don't see how we can be anywhere near the other side.
End of May at the very earliest IMO.
And yet there are countries without tight lockdown which are managing CV spread

In other news, continuing with less fortunate photo selection by mass media
EUtl4QaWoAgX_bk.jpeg

Buck

Guru
How can we possibly be ready for what comes next if we don't even discuss it?

Surely we should be looking at the options, discussing as a nation the pros and cons, and putting in place plans to implement whatever we decide to do?

Whilst I agree with your sentiment re being ready for what comes next, it is the role of government to decide on these (hopefully based on evidence and scientific knowledge) and inform the nation, not for all of us to debate and discuss to inform that decision and what we do next (apologies if I’ve misunderstood your comment)

They make the decision, provide clear guidance and we do what is asked.

Buck

Guru

Unfortunately, I don’t think you are right. I would go as far as saying the current lockdown is more than warranted and may, just may, help turn the tide but we have many more deaths to go before we can even begin to see a real downturn and a warranted easing of the current lockdown.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I thought you said they were fiddling the stats.

Top Bottom