Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
I'd imagine, as young men, these PL players will have monthly outgoings commensurate with their salaries. I think it's just noise and the current attention unwarranted and unfair.

Oh poor them just like many other young men in the current situation they will have make saving accordingly.

tom73

Guru
I just think it’s up to their employer to make the decisions, preferably in consultation with their employees. That’s what my employer is doing for perm staff.
It’s not down to the employees to make the decisions. Criticise the clubs not the players
They can make their own decisions about charitable donations, volunteering whatever, like the rest of us. Just we are able to do it without the criticism of the press, the Government, Internet forums....

Oh yes like that happens many employers no longer know what working with employees is anymore.

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh yes like that happens many employers no longer know what working with employees is anymore.
Well that’s exactly what my employer is doing, weekly webinars by UK CEO and frequent email communications, I can’t speak to other businesses

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The charity commission recommends 18 months of reserve funds be kept by charities.

It's a theoretical idea the smaller you get. Some are going to have a 25% drop in income and that will mean large cuts rather than going under.

The micro charities far smaller than the bigger ones Tom lists may go under completely.

In the scenario modelling where I volunteer they suggested as a scenario that the location goes out of business or cuts the hours which would mean at least 50% reduced "services". As in businesses a lot rely on each other so large knock ons.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Yes the poor multi millionaires worrying about lost tax revenues.🙄 I’m sure they could donate the £500 million to the NHS to solve their worries.

But they've already donated far more than that already in taxes and National Insurance. If the so-called 'government' can't allocate it responsibly, why should any group of people have to bail them out for their failings?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I could be pursuaded that what we are doing/following is the least worst option. But we've so little future information to go on, whilst being assailed with daily death figures but being given very little information on the lockdowns present and future societal cost.

I can't believe these figures, how can gloves cost 14p? A single use apron £2.50? I'd have guessed an apron cost less than 5p. I am getting through £50+ worth of gear a shift, the medical staff a huge amount more!

View attachment 512679

It's all small change. In Italy, China and Spain a small but terrifying minority of hospital staff got the virus and ended up in hospital. The cost of all that dwarfs the cost of the PPE.

The PPE problem of securing and cost will be a gigantic problem for the social care sector.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
But they've already donated far more than that already in taxes and National Insurance. If the so-called 'government' can't allocate it responsibly, why should any group of people have to bail them out for their failings?

Donated?

Let's not forget footballers do seem to be involved in more tax avoidance rackets than other groups -

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-01-21...der-investigation-by-hmrc-over-tax-avoidance/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...footballers-face-250m-bill-tax-avoidance.html
https://bankruptcypetitionandannulm...ers-using-tax-avoidance-ebts-into-bankruptcy/

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm using his term to illustrate the point. And haven't you got anything more up to date than that?

tom73

Guru
The charity commission recommends 18 months of reserve funds be kept by charities.

It's a theoretical idea the smaller you get. Some are going to have a 25% drop in income and that will mean large cuts rather than going under.

The micro charities far smaller than the bigger ones Tom lists may go under completely.

In the scenario modelling where I volunteer they suggested as a scenario that the location goes out of business or cuts the hours which would mean at least 50% reduced "services". As in businesses a lot rely on each other so large knock ons.

Many local branches of national one get nothing from national incomes. They are totally self funding the one I ran would not survive this for sure. Some government funding is going to be needed with long over due rethink on charity regulations along with removing charity status from some.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A BBC article from yesterday on care homes around Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-52147861

I think someone originally posted the financial times investigative piece. This is also updated on pieces earlier.

My step-son is a care worker in a Glasgow care home. As a severe asthmatic and looking after 3 young children on his own, he approached his manager about self-isolating and was told in no uncertain terms he had to come in to work. When he found the official council guidelines that stated he should stay at home and showed the page to her, he was told if he didn't come in he wouldn't get paid. He contacted his union who initially said "I would just go to work mate" but two days later changed their minds and told him to stay at home. It seems individual care home managers are ignoring official guidelines and putting staff and residents at risk, all over Glasgow as his "network" of colleagues on social media are sharing stories. It's absolutely no surprise to see 13 deaths in one care home in Glasgow.

Julia9054

Guru

tom73

Guru
Care homes are a ticking time bomb. It's hard to see any other way than what a few have done move staff in and self isolate as one group. With the rest of staff on a rota to take over after an agreed time. That's if they have enough staff able and willing to do it.
It's a really difficult situation all round even with PPE they are not set up to operate in isolation.
Nursing homes will be in an even worse position both with staff numbers and the extra care needs.

Top Bottom