Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think It's a case of having a theory that he believes in and is happy to interpret any evidence in a way that supports his belief.
Not just my belief. Apologies for the Mail link in my previous reply, but hallelujah, a real proper expert seems to agree with me, and in Sweden as well, which I’ve previously said is the place we need to be watching.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
This article gives a different spin though. Players want to know that the money is doing something worthwhile and not just going into the black hole of club finances
Danny Rose says no problem with Premier League players giving up wages
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52163997
Is there anything stopping them making a large donation to charity? Most charities will be experiencing a large drop in income because of cancelled sponsored events and closed shops.

tom73

Guru
Is there anything stopping them making a large donation to charity? Most charities will be experiencing a large drop in income because of cancelled sponsored events and closed shops.
No but they don't.
Maybe they can donate to the National Emergencies Trust Coronavirus appeal if they are so worried or that principled.
Many Charities are really not going to get though this. Small local ones are really in need now our local hospice for example are losing 2 grand a week. At the other end of the scale Marie Curie are 1.2M down each month. One of the top earning shops loss of income each month is equal to 163 home visits.

vickster

Legendary Member
No but they don't.
Maybe they can donate to the National Emergencies Trust Coronavirus appeal if they are so worried or that principled.
Many Charities are really not going to get though this. Small local ones are really in need now our local hospice for example are losing 2 grand a week. At the other end of the scale Marie Curie are 1.2M down each month. One of the top earning shops loss of income each month is equal to 163 home visits.
How do you know they haven’t already?

MarkF

Guru
Unfortunately lockdowns can only be managed by looking forwards and their efficacy can only be determined by looking backwards.

Really we can criticise the government as much as we like but it makes no difference. We are all in the same boat and it's incumbent on all to make the best of what we have. Only after the pandemic has subsided can the assessment start. Until then there is too much still to play for

I could be pursuaded that what we are doing/following is the least worst option. But we've so little future information to go on, whilst being assailed with daily death figures but being given very little information on the lockdowns present and future societal cost.

I can't believe these figures, how can gloves cost 14p? A single use apron £2.50? I'd have guessed an apron cost less than 5p. I am getting through £50+ worth of gear a shift, the medical staff a huge amount more!

26820534-8188049-image-a-131_1586048985383.jpg

tom73

Guru
How do you know they haven’t already?
A few have but the fact that they are pissing about and not just gone "right lads let's do this" without an official line say's it all.
Plus they don't have a great record on questioning wage they get then the clubs expect the tax payer.
To pay for the staff which without them they can't even play is not a great look.

vickster

Legendary Member
A few have but the fact that they are pissing about and not just gone "right lads let's do this" without an official line say's it all.
Plus they don't have a great record on questioning wage they get then the clubs expect the tax payer.
To pay for the staff which without them they can't even play is not a great look.
Surely the premiership clubs who make millions in profit every year could pay the non playing staff and not expect the government to do so? That’s not down to the players who are also employees but the multi millionaire or billlionaire owners who are the employers...

MarkF

Guru

I'd imagine, as young men, these PL players will have monthly outgoings commensurate with their salaries. I think it's just noise and the current attention unwarranted and unfair.

tom73

Guru
Surely the premiership clubs who make millions in profit every year could pay the non playing staff and not expect the government to do so? That’s not down to the players who are also employees but the multi millionaire or billlionaire owners who are the employers...

That's the point they are all employed by the same employer one rule for one and a different one for another.
But yet players see that staff are being laid off but still not just got on with it.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's the point they are all employed by the same employer one rule for one and a different one for another.
But yet players see that staff are being laid off but still not just got on with it.
I just think it’s up to their employer to make the decisions, preferably in consultation with their employees. That’s what my employer is doing for perm staff.
It’s not down to the employees to make the decisions. Criticise the clubs not the players
They can make their own decisions about charitable donations, volunteering whatever, like the rest of us. Just we are able to do it without the criticism of the press, the Government, Internet forums....

Top Bottom