Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Care homes are a ticking time bomb. It's hard to see any other way than what a few have done move staff in and self isolate as one group. With the rest of staff on a rota to take over after an agreed time. That's if they have enough staff able and willing to do it.
It's a really difficult situation all round even with PPE they are not set up to operate in isolation.
Nursing homes will be in an even worse position both with staff numbers and the extra care needs.
We have been discussing infection control in our house. Both boys start new jobs next week. My eldest as a care worker for a company that provides care in clients own homes and my youngest as a porter in one of the new Coronavirus hospitals. The possibility for cross contamination doesn’t bear thinking about.

tom73

Guru
Now a nursing assistant has died how many more ?
Sort this out it need not happen it should not happen.
Just let the experts and co who know what to do run the show and leave the government to sign the cheques.
In other news someone had to be rescued after becoming stuck halfway up a cliff.
What's wrong with these people ?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes I know it's the same for everyone but others don't get to vote whether they accept it or not
My employer is gathering feedback from permanent employees on several different options that have been put forwards. I don’t know what other companies are doing in terms of consultation or not.

Unions are also involved in several sectors, such as airlines. The PFA is just another union presumably (if that’s what you mean by voting?)

Care homes are a ticking time bomb. It's hard to see any other way than what a few have done move staff in and self isolate as one group. With the rest of staff on a rota to take over after an agreed time. That's if they have enough staff able and willing to do it.
It's a really difficult situation all round even with PPE they are not set up to operate in isolation.
Nursing homes will be in an even worse position both with staff numbers and the extra care needs.
Indeed.

One of my friends caught it, was ill, had the whole gamut of symptoms without reaching the levels where he needed to be hospitalised. He now seems to be on the path to recovery, his wife has passed her 14 day self-isolation period without ever showing any symptoms.

She works in care, and her workplace is putting pressure on her to come back, but without any way of testing whether she's contagious, or any guidelines about what happens after the self-isolation period, how can anyone conscionably do so, knowing that she could easily be endangering the very people she's meant to be caring for? Thankfully she's smarter than her managers and has not yet returned.

Total lack of joined-up thinking in places where it is needed the most.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I hope when this is all over, the sheer grasping greed of footballers is addressed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692
And if they did take a pay cut, who would benefit? The Glaziers, Roman Abramovich, a few crooked Arab oil billionaires and a load of hedge funds, not the fans or the NHS.

I'm with the players on this, there are many people in entertainment and other walks of life earning a lot more than Premier League players, but of course "Uneducated working class yobs" make easy targets and popular headlines.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My employer is gathering feedback from permanent employees on several different options that have been put forwards. I don’t know what other companies are doing in terms of consultation or not.

Unions are also involved in several sectors, such as airlines. The PFA is just another union presumably (if that’s what you mean by voting?)

I have been consulted and in agreement with it . So no problems with it .

Just don't agree with a bunch of mamby pampies trying to refuse it on the grounds that the lower income will harm the NHS .

Utter twaddle and yes it will mean less money going into the tax coffers but that is not there real concern in my honest opinion

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The issue regarding top level football clubs is as follows:

These are quite small businesses in terms of total employees and there is enormous disparity in salaries within them

For example, Tottenham Hotspur furloughed 500 employees. Let's be generous and assume their average salary is £50k. That would be £25m per year in total

Now how about their first team squad? 20 or so footballers. Average salary? Dunno, let's say £100k per player per week. That's £100m per year

So with a 25% reduction in first team salaries there would be no need to furlough anyone. 25%...that's all

However, what is currently happening is that there is no reduction in first team salaries any you and I are paying the furloughed staff. Doesn't seem exactly fair does it?

Ah, but what about those fat cat bosses? Well, very very few of them earn £100k per week. And they have thousands and thousands of employees. There is no way a 25% reduction in the bosses' salaries would make a meaningful dent in the furloughing costs of thousands of employees. Football is different because they have relatively few employees and massive salary disparity

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
These footballers wil not be economic wizards, they'll be looked after and the remaining salary, after high living expenses, supercars and mansions to pay for, invested. It's a wonder why we all just don't give up 25/30% of our salary

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Well, this is not good at all.
She’ll be very lucky to keep her post.

“Police have issued a warning to Scotland's chief medical officer for visiting her second home in Fife during the coronavirus lockdown.
Dr Catherine Calderwood is facing mounting criticism after pictures of her family trip to Earlsferry were published in the Scottish Sun.
She apologised "unreservedly" and said she would continue to focus on her job.
There have been calls for her to step down over the matter with MSPs describing her position as "untenable".​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694

Mr Celine

Discordian
Well, this is not good at all.
She’ll be very lucky to keep her post.

“Police have issued a warning to Scotland's chief medical officer for visiting her second home in Fife during the coronavirus lockdown.
Dr Catherine Calderwood is facing mounting criticism after pictures of her family trip to Earlsferry were published in the Scottish Sun.
She apologised "unreservedly" and said she would continue to focus on her job.
There have been calls for her to step down over the matter with MSPs describing her position as "untenable".​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694
Do as I say rather than do as I do doesn't really cut it in the situation we're in now. Why hasn't she resigned?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Yep, I got a say in whether I was furloughed for 3 months, whether I'd lessen my weekly hours for the next three months and get less pay, or none of the above. (I took a cut in hours as a lot of colleagues had done the same - others have volunteered for unpaid leave). I'm not in a union either.

Top Bottom