Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Testing politicians may prove to be revealing depending on what we test them on... + will any pass?

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The restrictions apply to everyone, not only those infected.

She is one face of the Scot Gov campaign telling people not to travel unless for one of the exempted reasons so it’s a bigger deal than the prince of Wales helicoptering up to Balmoral.

She has undermined the efforts of everyone trying to keep us safe and has risked public trust in the stay at home message.

To make matters worse, she has admitted that she visited her holiday home the previous weekend too, along with her husband. She may continue in post for the duration of this crisis but I expect she’ll subsequently be standing down to spend more time with her family etc. etc.
You are correct in that she should go and no idea if it is correct but she may already have been pushed.
HRH is a big deal tho' as he and members of his staff were infected and flew to another country with it but we did not see the slavering mob after him.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You are correct in that she should go and no idea if it is correct but she may already have been pushed.
HRH is a big deal tho' as he and members of his staff were infected and flew to another country with it but we did not see the slavering mob after him.

I didn’t say the prince wasn’t a big deal but that the CMO was a bigger deal.

I saw plenty of backlash about his travel. Unfortunately royals are generally untouchable so do not suffer from public criticism.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’m looking forward to losing my 1hr of freedom thanks to no brain morons.
You're not currently restricted to 1hr. That may be a future restriction.

Personally, I'd love to know why more than one adult in a car except for medical/care reasons isn't an offence here like in other countries. On Friday, shops were still having to weed out couples from the queues trying to take up limited shop capacity.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
One of the reasons is that outside China this has hitherto largely been a rich man's flu, for no better reason than because transmission is quickest and greatest when and where there are plenty of long distance travels and mobility. As demonstrated below:

View attachment 512802

I do believe it has every potential to be a horrendous killer in slums in due course, if poorer countries don't learn fast from rich Westerners' mistakes.
An earlier London borough by borough breakdown of covid-19 cases showed 2 of the richest boroughs, Westminster, and Kensington and Chelsea, at or near the top of the list. They're now far lower but poorer boroughs like Lambeth and Southwark have climbed alarmingly. (Alarmingly because the borough of Southwark is literally just over the road.)

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I do believe it has every potential to be a horrendous killer in slums in due course, if poorer countries don't learn fast from rich Westerners' mistakes.

I have been looking the last couple of weeks on developing countries' cases. In a lot of Africa I think every single country has a case now, taking a longer term view it's possible there could be moderately sized outbreaks in African in May (leaving a couple of months for things to circulate).

I'm not sure how much developing countries can learn from westerners - no masks, no vaccines, no testing, very little resources in many cases.

tom73

Guru
Well, this is not good at all.
She’ll be very lucky to keep her post.

“Police have issued a warning to Scotland's chief medical officer for visiting her second home in Fife during the coronavirus lockdown.
Dr Catherine Calderwood is facing mounting criticism after pictures of her family trip to Earlsferry were published in the Scottish Sun.
She apologised "unreservedly" and said she would continue to focus on her job.
There have been calls for her to step down over the matter with MSPs describing her position as "untenable".​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52171694

It maybe grounds to report her to GMC if anything it's a poor error of judgment.
I see she's openly admitted she did the same thing the week before not a great image.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
An earlier London borough by borough breakdown of covid-19 cases showed 2 of the richest boroughs, Westminster, and Kensington and Chelsea, at or near the top of the list. They're now far lower but poorer boroughs like Lambeth and Southwark have climbed alarmingly. (Alarmingly because the borough of Southwark is literally just over the road.)
Couldn't it be because Westminster and Kensington had very large crowds of tourists and tourist attractions, rather than wealth? Just a suggestion.

marinyork

(iii) What about the potential unintended consequences of a total lockdown? More domestic violence, more mental health problems.

People who are lower down the pecking order of advisors have flagged these up. As a whole in government policy, aside from the bit of exercise and domestic violence victims being allowed to leave their homes, this is just an afterthought. There seems to be the assumption that 'everything' can be solved by a quick telephone call by some random temporary worker.

Johnno260

Veteran
You're not currently restricted to 1hr. That may be a future restriction.

Personally, I'd love to know why more than one adult in a car except for medical/care reasons isn't an offence here like in other countries. On Friday, shops were still having to weed out couples from the queues trying to take up limited shop capacity.

from a personal point of view it’s 1hr as I’m still working, so it’s what I can fit into my work day, also I don’t want to take the mickey and go for a 6hr ride.

marinyork

It maybe grounds to report her to GMC if anything it's a poor error of judgment.
I see she's openly admitted she did the same thing the week before not a great image.

Yikes. Second time. No wonder the police paid a visit, despite the press piece put out by the Scottish government.

Top Bottom