Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I have been looking the last couple of weeks on developing countries' cases. In a lot of Africa I think every single country has a case now, taking a longer term view it's possible there could be moderately sized outbreaks in African in May (leaving a couple of months for things to circulate).

I'm not sure how much developing countries can learn from westerners - no masks, no vaccines, no testing, very little resources in many cases.
When the dust finally settles in a couple of years time I fear the greatest injustice will be the lack of help the developed countries (which will come out of the pandemic first) gave to the less developed countries

All developed countries will be in recession and I fear that there will be a lot of looking after their electorates whilst huge numbers die elsewhere

Mr Celine

Discordian
I agree it is not a laughing matter but she is not as far as we know infected. Why no calls for Charlie Windsor to resign tho' even when he travelled along with several staff also infected to his holiday home much further away. No doubt she has had a severe bollocking from you know who. As they used to say in the past " I wouldnae take a burst pay packet hame tae that yin"
The two aren't really comparable. I'm starting to lose track of time but I'm sure Chick went to Balmoral before the emergency legislation was passed. That doesn't excuse his behaviour but it wasn't in breach of the law.
The emergency legislation, which drastically curtails all our civil liberties, was drafted on the advice of the Chief Medical Officer who promptly ignored it and then repeated the offence the next weekend.
If she doesn't believe in her own advice I for one see no reason to follow it any more and judging by the traffic noise from the A7 this afternoon, which suddenly ramped back up to normal levels, I'm not alone.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
People who are lower down the pecking order of advisors have flagged these up. As a whole in government policy, aside from the bit of exercise and domestic violence victims being allowed to leave their homes, this is just an afterthought. There seems to be the assumption that 'everything' can be solved by a quick telephone call by some random temporary worker.
I'm not sure it happened but the quoted text was not from me. It seems to come from a post made quite a long time ago.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
If she doesn't believe in her own advice I for one see no reason to follow it any more.

That's a rather dangerous assumption. I don't know why she did such an incredibly stupid thing but there are several scenarios in which she could still believe in her advice but for whatever reason, ignored it for herself. Self-testing, for one.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I have been looking the last couple of weeks on developing countries' cases. In a lot of Africa I think every single country has a case now, taking a longer term view it's possible there could be moderately sized outbreaks in African in May (leaving a couple of months for things to circulate).

I'm not sure how much developing countries can learn from westerners - no masks, no vaccines, no testing, very little resources in many cases.

As indicated, since it is a rich man's flu, for poor countries with limited resource, the secret is to implement measures asap to stop foreigners bringing the virus in, so that healthcare facilities are not overwhelmed, and distancing measures can be applied to nationals with symptoms.

Despite being next door to China with significant commercial links, Vietnam stopped all flights to/from China as early as 1st Feb, 7 days after they had their first case, They stopped entry from the Schengen countries, then UK, and since 22nd March all foreign visitors. To date nobody has died.

They might be a lot poorer than us (17 times poorer in terms of GDP per capita based on PPP), it didn't stop them being able to produce results we can't even dream of.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
It would be a peak time for people returning from skiing holidays, though.
The Tirolean authorities are being subject to heavy criticism for not shutting down the ski season quickly enough, in particular après-ski parties with tourists from all over Europe. Seems to have been a case of putting the revenue earning streams ahead of public health.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The Tirolean authorities are being subject to heavy criticism for not shutting down the ski season quickly enough, in particular après-ski parties with tourists from all over Europe. Seems to have been a case of putting the revenue earning streams ahead of public health.
It won't just have been the Tyrol that did that.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Boris admitted to hospital, source Sky News app, but I can't see it on their web site yet.

Handlebar Moustache

I go for an exercise walk about 7 every night. Usually I see about 5-10 people max. Today I saw at least 30, it was very very busy and I’m just wondering why. Here in Edinburgh the weather has been fairly warm but not amazing and pretty much the same as last Sunday. But last Sunday was quiet. Even looking at a nearby cycle path I saw many roadie guys aged from 20s-50s cycling in pairs together. An abundance of cycling brothers perhaps?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
When the dust finally settles in a couple of years time I fear the greatest injustice will be the lack of help the developed countries (which will come out of the pandemic first) gave to the less developed countries

All developed countries will be in recession and I fear that there will be a lot of looking after their electorates whilst huge numbers die elsewhere
Africa already suffers from another virus pandemic. HIV.
2800 people die every day from AIDS related illness in Africa which goes almost unnoticed.

Top Bottom