Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Johnson reported as "continuing to improve" but still in ICU.

Given that we were originally told he was only in ICU as a precaution rather than necessity, this, yet again, strains the bounds of credulity on his condition.

I hope he recovers well.

Next he will (not) be playing Whiff Waff with the medics in the ICU. I wish they’d just leave it alone till he’s out of ICU. He is still clearly sick enough to require intensive care. So still very sick indeed.

There will be no rapid recovery from ICU. It’s not the way it works.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not a medical professional - but I thought you stay in ICU as long as needed. You can improve but still be il l enough to need ICU -

It was originally reported that he did not need to be in ICU - it was only a precaution in case of a deterioration. So it's not clear to me how he can improve for two consecutive days from that point yet still need to be there.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yes, figures quoted on BBC suggested that 70% of those who “progressed” to ventilator were clinically obese.
Link?

From the ICNARC report I linked to previously, around 74% of those requiring 'advanced respiratory support' (ventilation?), had a BMI above the 'normal' range.
But, that's not far off the BMI percentage for the general population of the UK anyway, so there is not necessarily any direct correlation.

The male/female discrepancy is perhaps more significant.

Of those who have had an outcome from critical care the death rate is around 50%.

Of those with an outcome, the average stay in critical care is 4 days for those who survived, and 5 days for those who died.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
It was originally reported that he did not need to be in ICU - it was only a precaution in case of a deterioration. So it's not clear to me how he can improve for two consecutive days from that point yet still need to be there.
Correct - he detoriated so was then moved into intensive care.
I would guess this is a pretty normal pathway for covid 19 patients....

PK99

Legendary Member
From an article in telegraph 9 April

Singapore's enviable coronavirus response is a reminder of its miserable illiberalism ANTONIA SYN 9 APRIL 2020 • 1:00PM

As an LSE student from Singapore, in the last few weeks I have experienced lockdown both UK and Singaporean-style.
In fact, I am writing this from a hotel room where, admittedly at government expense, I am being quarantined for a fortnight, before I can see my family.
If I come into contact with someone who may have displayed some symptoms of coronavirus, I will instantly be confined again to home for another fortnight. I will need to respond each day to multiple text messages and calls, asking me to confirm my location using FaceTime, to show I’ve not left home.
Testing is frequent and free, and the government generously pays hospital bills in full for all patients suspected of Covid-19.
Before returning to Singapore, when I was still in the UK, I was trusted to abide by the coronavirus guidelines, though. Here, it isn’t up to me.
International observers, including in Britain, have been impressed by the effectiveness of the Singaporean government’s response.
They haven’t always noticed that the harsh consequences for flouting the Stay-Home Notice (SHN), run to the extent of stripping citizens of their passports to punish misbehaviour.
Singapore has quarantined 20,000 foreign workers, mainly men from South Asia who work in construction, in their dormitories for two weeks. These buildings, the Westlite Toh Guan and S11 at Punggol dormitories, are reportedly overcrowded and dirty. There are typically twelve workers per room, and they have complained of overflowing loos and cockroaches.
Contact tracing is aggressively coordinated with the Ministry of Health, armed forces, and police all visiting people who may have crossed paths with people who have shown possible symptoms. People violating the Stay-Home Notices can receive jail terms up to six months, fines up to S$10,000 (£5,657), or both.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Hehehe, still according to some Tories, it is a Haven on Earth ^_^
On the other side I bet plenty of people wouldn't mind this kind of draconian measures in exchange for less CV19

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
1586443297583.png

A reminder for those getting upset by what other people are up to, this was the modelling by the Imperial paper and a lot of people seem to think the UK's doing better than this.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
In the parallel world of USA unemployment grows by 16M people in 3 weeks yet stock exchanges are rising, the mother of all bubbles is coming :wacko:

I would have thought it pretty straightforward. He has improved - but he still needs to improve further to be out of ICU - or they fear a relapse so are giving him an extra 24 hours or so in ICU....

Wots you're overall though process here ? - he is worse than they are telling us

Or he doesn't need to be in ICU - but is choosing to stay there ?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Link?

From the ICNARC report I linked to previously, around 74% of those requiring 'advanced respiratory support' (ventilation?), had a BMI above the 'normal' range.
But, that's not far off the BMI percentage for the general population of the UK anyway, so there is not necessarily any direct correlation.

The male/female discrepancy is perhaps more significant.

Of those who have had an outcome from critical care the death rate is around 50%.

Of those with an outcome, the average stay in critical care is 4 days for those who survived, and 5 days for those who died.
By BBC, I meant television, my IT skills are not up to linking to yesterdays TV screen.

I would agree that the general population, probably mirror the general population, in terms of obesity. Don't see that as cause for optimism, personally.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I would have thought it pretty straightforward. He has improved - but he still needs to improve further to be out of ICU - or they fear a relapse so are giving him an extra 24 hours or so in ICU....

Wots you're overall though process here ? - he is worse than they are telling us

Or he doesn't need to be in ICU - but is choosing to stay there ?

The points I was trying to make were:

- originally saying he didn't really need to be in ICU, but had subsequently improved considerably for two days running isn't consistent with remaining in ICU

- this is of a piece with the updates since he fell ill, which have been overly optimistic throughout, and thereby destroy much needed trust in HMG

But TBH I don't really want to debate his health and now regret bringing it up at all, so I'll be silent on the subject from here on.

Top Bottom