Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Why not make masks mandatory everywhere, Serious question ? What's the downside.

These days the governments focus on high risk occupations. These are security guards, bus drivers, care workers, some hospital workers, some retail, some manufacturing and so on. Research also focuses on people with a large number of interactions and very poorly ventilated workplaces (where it's quite hard to work out, but definitely of importance).

The risk outdoors people have had a go at estimating and one study put it at 19x less likely to get the virus outside than inside. Others think it's less than that but at 2 metres distance outside is a vanishingly small chance unless an interaction is very lengthy.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Face coverings are all part of the jigsaw they don't stop the virus but they go a long way to dealing with asymptomatic transmission.

Which has now been confirmed, perhaps as definitely as you've ever going to get at the present, as 70% of cases, whereas very early on in the epidemic it was believed to be 20% and a bit later widely quoted by virologists as 40-50%.

This is a very major change in knowledge which the politicians should be hammering home as to why things are needed.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
This is a very major change in knowledge which the politicians should be hammering home as to why things are needed

And yet again, Johnson's govt is late to the party.

Sturgeon is on this today.

Khan has been for weeks.

Even Pence is nearly there FFS.

Johnson: Nope.

Probably, like everything else on COVID, the public will act and govt will follow. Too late. Yet again.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Probably, like everything else on COVID, the public will act and govt will follow. Too late. Yet again.

So you're one of the sheep who need to be told what to do by clueless politicians, because you can't make up your own mind?
If you want to wear a mask, go ahead and wear one. Knock yourself out and enjoy being sweaty and uncomfortable all the time. I don't intend to follow suit though, whether the government thinks I should wear one or not.
They're theoretically supposed to be worn on public transport, but plenty of passengers are simply openly ignoring this edict. What is the bus driver going to do, get into a big row with every fourth or fifth passenger who isn't wearing one?

Julia9054

Guru
So you're one of the sheep who need to be told what to do by clueless politicians, because you can't make up your own mind?
If you want to wear a mask, go ahead and wear one. Knock yourself out and enjoy being sweaty and uncomfortable all the time. I don't intend to follow suit though, whether the government thinks I should wear one or not.
They're theoretically supposed to be worn on public transport, but plenty of passengers are simply openly ignoring this edict. What is the bus driver going to do, get into a big row with every fourth or fifth passenger who isn't wearing one?
Anyone else just reading " me me me me me" ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Anyone else just reading " me me me me me" ?

You can read what you like into it, but I've had more than enough of this lockdown nonsense already and I'm not planning to dance to any politicians tunes. You'll find a significant proportion of the whole population are equally pissed off with it and are taking the same attitude, hence groups congregating and not maintaining distance from each other etc. It's over, the window of opportunity to modify public behaviour in order to increase the capacity to cope with the virus is now closed. From now on, it will run it's course and the outcome is the outcome, good or bad.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

Your juvenile ovine insults aside, pandemics demand a societal response.

What you do does not just affect you, it affects everyone.

Viruses do not respect libertarian rhetoric, notwithstanding the irony of ovine like libertarians demanding they do.

Rocky

Hello decadence
You can read what you like into it, but I've had more than enough of this lockdown nonsense already and I'm not planning to dance to any politicians tunes. You'll find a significant proportion of the whole population are equally pissed off with it and are taking the same attitude, hence groups congregating and not maintaining distance from each other etc. It's over, the window of opportunity to modify public behaviour in order to increase the capacity to cope with the virus is now closed. From now on, it will run it's course and the outcome is the outcome, good or bad.
You know nothing about the population, so don't try and speak for them. Your dismissal of mask wearing goes against the evidence and is simply selfish. No wonder Covid is spreading with an approach like that. I have said this before, but I'll say it again - my younger son is a junior doctor on a Covid ward. He has spent the last three months holding the hands of people who are literally drowning from interstitial pneumonia. He has set up video links with loved ones so they can say their last goodbyes. This is an awful disease that can kill anyone. Your attitude is a kick in the teeth to anyone who works in our NHS or who has lost a loved one.

midlife

Guru

I wear a mask 8 hours a day and no more sweaty / uncomfortable than wearing a pair of shoes.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I fear you're right, there's some numpties round here that don't care too, as for myself I shall do my best not to catch it even if it means 'pulling up the drawbridge' and staying safe. I am responsible for my own health and wellbeing but since the smoking ban I've found pubs to be a waste of money anyway.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I sincerely hope you do not have any surviving parents or none of your friends do.

This is why we will be in the shoot for longer than we need to be.
The science is saying wearing a mask will slow/ reduce the spread of the virus. Why is this so hard to understand?
I hope you don't get it, but you will get very short shrift from me if you do. I hope even more you don't spread it to others. Your selfishness sucks.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
A while back I posted a link to a young woman telling of what had happened to her. She is immuno-compromised which essentially means she is especially vulnerable to this. She self-isolated, just her and her dog in an apartment. She only left the house once a month to buy food. When she did leave the house she took every precaution she could - she wore a mask, kept her distance, cleaned her hands repeatedly but, living in the US as she does, people laughed at her for wearing a mask. They came up and shouted in her face and made no attempt to keep their distance.

She has just tested positive for Covid.

She did everything she could to keep herself safe, it was other people who infected her.

I'll say it again, wearing a mask isn't about keeping you safe, it's about keeping others safe.

Please, wear a mask.

Top Bottom