Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a parental taxi service I can confirm that GP surgeries and A&Es are very quiet.

Not hoping for a horrific shift for A&Es, but I've been into A&E to pick up on a weekend recently and this was one reason why I'm optimistic about the pubs.
Are you still optimistic?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Are you still optimistic?

Yes. I can take some really boring photos of my city if you want.

I'm detecting airs of a lot of very much older white males, on this thread and board in general, locked away in large homes from the rest of the population (where the risk of them getting the virus is miniscule) posting on the thread(s) and working themselves up to be more and more agitated by what's posted in our media. This is especially true of one off photos and videos and of particular areas e.g. Soho. I'm not sure it does the people of this thread, even younger ones any good.

If you want to get on your rufty tufty moral panic and outrage hobby horse, the last week there have been some really bad shootings nearby. Perhaps you can come to my area and sort them out?

I looked at the city/town infection rates this morning that run to 28th June for English places (mostly listed).

1593936289669.png

Most of those have shown falls.

I don't want any Daily Mail style front page visitors to A&E, however when I went to A&E to pick up my mother the place was so unbelievably empty that increasing the number of drink related visits will hopefully not overwhelm it. You're focusing on Soho and Borough market. Around here it was dead. Local social media here and local papers said how quiet it was and they are usually the first to flat up if anything is busy.

Last edited:
I'm detecting airs of a lot of very much older white males, on this thread and board in general, locked away in large homes from the rest of the population (where the risk of them getting the virus is miniscule) posting on the thread(s) and working themselves up to be more and more agitated by what's posted in our media.
I'm an old duffer for sure but I go out to bars regularly and have been since after reopening at the start of June. What I do notice when out is that after people have had a few towards the end of the night they become less cautious. They also talk louder and as other people talk louder so do they to be heard, many is the time I have needed to discreetly wipe away spit droplets from my fizzog as a friend tried to be heard while talking with me.
I am no paranoid and life must go on but the photos I have seen clearly show large groups of people, strangers to each other in close proximity.

I don't want any Daily Mail style front page visitors to A&E, however when I went to A&E to pick up my mother the place was so unbelievably empty that increasing the number of drink related visits will hopefully not overwhelm it. You're focusing on Soho and Borough market. Around here it was dead. Local social media here and local papers said how quiet it was and they are usually the first to flat up if anything is busy.
I'll ask my sister in law how it went next time we speak, she does not work in A&E but she knows the staff well as the cardiothoracic clinic she works in is down the corridor. Wythenshawe hospital is a large metropolitan area facility and I have been a customer once or twice myself, the A&E reception is like a zoo on a weekend night and of a weekday afternoon as are the onward receptions for radiography and so forth. What the security staff get out of a job there I do not know but they are busy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Compare and contrast two US states. One has taken the virus seriously and kept restrictions in place for longer. The other hasn't.

View attachment 533848

Florida simply has had it's coronavirus outbreak much later than New York state. The USA is such a vast place that each state really should be considered as though it was a country in it's own right. At the time NY was experiencing a huge peak, there was very little virus spreading in FL. It's also worth noting the infection rate in NY was higher, even though you claim they were taking it seriously whereas FL haven't. Now the situation is reversed; a large amount of the population in NY have already previously contracted the virus, and there are less people still susceptible to catching it. The FL infection rate will rapidly rise to a peak, then it will rapidly fall away again. I very much doubt the shape of the infection graph from the point where cases begin to rapidly rise will be that different, apart from the timeline.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Florida simply has had it's coronavirus outbreak much later than New York state. The USA is such a vast place that each state really should be considered as though it was a country in it's own right. At the time NY was experiencing a huge peak, there was very little virus spreading in FL. It's also worth noting the infection rate in NY was higher, even though you claim they were taking it seriously whereas FL haven't. Now the situation is reversed; a large amount of the population in NY have already previously contracted the virus, and there are less people still susceptible to catching it. The FL infection rate will rapidly rise to a peak, then it will rapidly fall away again. I very much doubt the shape of the infection graph from the point where cases begin to rapidly rise will be that different, apart from the timeline.
Any evidence to support this? Or is it just what you’d like to happen.

Many states never took Coronavirus seriously. Trump never took it seriously. That is why the pandemic is so devastating. There is no evidence that things are about to change.

Yes. I can take some really boring photos of my city if you want.

I'm detecting airs of a lot of very much older white males, on this thread and board in general, locked away in large homes from the rest of the population (where the risk of them getting the virus is miniscule) posting on the thread(s) and working themselves up to be more and more agitated by what's posted in our media. This is especially true of one off photos and videos and of particular areas e.g. Soho. I'm not sure it does the people of this thread, even younger ones any good.

If you want to get on your rufty tufty moral panic and outrage hobby horse, the last week there have been some really bad shootings nearby. Perhaps you can come to my area and sort them out?

I looked at the city/town infection rates this morning that run to 28th June for English places (mostly listed).

View attachment 534231

Most of those have shown falls.

Just one point on those figures. Merthyr doesn't actually have 100,000 people (44,000) so the pro rata figures for the town as a whole are hugely inflated by the 130 cases confirmed at the Kepak meat plant in the past two weeks.

As with news photos, bare statistics don't give the full picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any evidence to support this?

Take a look at the graph. At around the 25-30 day mark, the infection rate in Florida was only a tenth of that in New York. The epidemic never really got going there at the time NY and the other North Eastern states were getting hit.
You like to slag off Trump at any opportunity for purely political reasons, but public health in the US is devolved to state level. Deciding on what action should be taken locally in respect of the virus was never really Trump's responsibility.
Each state took a view on how much it wanted to keep the virus numbers down versus how much economic damage it was prepared to inflict on it's economy. You have also taken no account of the nature of US society. It is highly individualistic and libertarian in outlook overall. People don't tend to like being bossed around by the government and told what they can and cant do. They take their constitutional rights very seriously and a high proportion of them are heavily armed. The USA would never tolerate a country-wide strict European or Chinese style lockdown. That's the political reality and the Governors in each state will have known the limits that their own population would tolerate. That level of tolerance in a lot of the Southern and Western states would be pretty low, and even what you might consider half-hearted measures were enough to cause a number of anti-lockdown protests as it was.

Rocky

Hello decadence
You like to slag off Trump at any opportunity for purely political reasons, but public health in the US is devolved to state level. Deciding on what action should be taken locally in respect of the virus was never really Trump's responsibility.
I said that Trump didn't take it seriously.....and here is my evidence:

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/8/21242003/trump-failed-coronavirus-response

To summarise: he denies it's a problem, he pressurises health services to stop testing, he suggests ludicrous cures (bleach, strong light), he promotes hydroxychloroquine (without evidence), he won't wear a mask, he holds a rally in a hotspot area, he doesn't understand the science, he blames everyone else (good opportunity for him to show some racism). He has tried to open up the economy at the most dangerous time and many people have died as a result. (See the free to view FT article for further evidence: https://www.ft.com/content/97dc7de6-940b-11ea-abcd-371e24b679ed)

The outcome? To date: 2.89m reported infections. 132,000 reported deaths. Trump has blood on his hands. Boris is not far behind in his incompetence - so many deaths and all because of poor populist leadership.

AndyRM

XOXO
I said that Trump didn't take it seriously.....and here is my evidence:

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/8/21242003/trump-failed-coronavirus-response

To summarise: he denies it's a problem, he pressurises health services to stop testing, he suggests ludicrous cures (bleach, strong light), he promotes hydroxychloroquine (without evidence), he won't wear a mask, he holds a rally in a hotspot area, he doesn't understand the science, he blames everyone else (good opportunity for him to show some racism). He has tried to open up the economy at the most dangerous time and many people have died as a result. (See the free to view FT article for further evidence: https://www.ft.com/content/97dc7de6-940b-11ea-abcd-371e24b679ed)

The outcome? To date: 2.89m reported infections. 132,000 reported deaths. Trump has blood on his hands. Boris is not far behind in his incompetence - so many deaths and all because of poor populist leadership.

I don't "like" this, but you know...

Anyway, and I know I risk a thread ban (again). Trump and Johnson are utter, utter f*ckwits. Slagging either of them off isn't a political thing. It's almost too easy.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Trump and Johnson are utter, utter f*ckwits. Slagging either of them off isn't a political thing.

Of course it's political, it's 100% political. In Trump and Johnson, you've got two significant right wing leaders, both of whom have no time for the status quo left/centre political consensus and little belief in supranational institutions - and all the leftists don't like it. They've all been having complete shoot fits on a constant basis ever since both Trump and Johnson took power.

Rocky

Hello decadence
Of course it's political, it's 100% political. In Trump and Johnson, you've got two significant right wing leaders, both of whom have no time for the status quo left/centre political consensus and little belief in supranational institutions - and all the leftists don't like it. They've all been having complete shoot fits on a constant basis ever since both Trump and Johnson took power.
And between them they are culpable for over 100,000 deaths from Covid because of their unwillingness to do the right thing.

BTW I'm not leftist.......I'm very much centre of the road and care very much about all the unnecessary lives lost.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No sign of applause this afternoon in our village. I'm not sure if it's because government are shoot at getting the message out (I'd seen nothing about it until last night) or because people don't want to support a government applause rather than the grassroots one during lockdown. Or maybe people aren't home yet. Or something else.

Rocky

Hello decadence
No sign of applause this afternoon in our village. I'm not sure if it's because government are shoot at getting the message out (I'd seen nothing about it until last night) or because people don't want to support a government applause rather than the grassroots one during lockdown. Or maybe people aren't home yet. Or something else.
Nothing here either...........everyone I know who works in the NHS, says that instead of Boris and Hancock clapping for them, they'd prefer to see movement on the 40 promised hospitals, a decent supply of PPE and senior figures sticking to the social distancing/quarantine rules.

Slick

Guru
I was out for a walk with Mrs Slick and just came back into the village as an older couple came out and started clapping. I honestly just forgot and just joined in with them and others. My own neighbour's probably think I'm ignorant and never left the house.

Top Bottom