Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
John Apter was much more vocal on the news tonight pleading with the government to take notice.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
John Apter was much more vocal on the news tonight pleading with the government to take notice.

I saw Apter much earlier, aware.

The three local forces here all put out relieved/positive comments.

I have a friend who has been to four? pubs the last 24 hours. Said it's fairly quiet. Although I think going to so many is an unnecessary risk.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have a friend who has been to four? pubs the last 24 hours. Said it's fairly quiet. Although I think going to so many is an unnecessary risk.
I'm deterred by the need to give permission for DIDO Harding's "Track and Trace" to have my contact info, even if I'm just buying a drink to sit outside with, nowhere near others. Surely pubs must be unhappy having to use the "Track and Trace" toxic brand on gov't-issue compulsory posters?

marinyork

Just one point on those figures. Merthyr doesn't actually have 100,000 people (44,000) so the pro rata figures for the town as a whole are hugely inflated by the 130 cases confirmed at the Kepak meat plant in the past two weeks.

As with news photos, bare statistics don't give the full picture.

The news reports have said that in Merthyr that it was very much the factory, supposedly on top of it, may nothing to worry about (see next week or the week after). In contrast in Leicester some noises coming out of PHE was that they were a bit puzzled about sources and there was no large obvious source.

This is maybe the system working a bit. In different bits of the world China, Spain, Australia, UK, South Korea and others there have been local restrictions reimposed.

marinyork

I'm deterred by the need to give permission for DIDO Harding's "Track and Trace" to have my contact info, even if I'm just buying a drink to sit outside with, nowhere near others. Surely pubs must be unhappy having to use the "Track and Trace" toxic brand on gov't-issue compulsory posters?

It's one of the reasons I don't especially worry about the app disproportionately as it's all the same mismanaged thing.

tom73

Guru
Indeed they have bought in restrictions difference is they get 40, 50 or even less new cases and bang lockdown. Talk of local lock down is mostly that we take 12 days to do anything with 100's of cases. Add in the mess that was handing over local public health to LA's who's paymasters are more focused on being popular at all costs. it's not going to easy to do what is needed to keep the lid on this at a local level.
Placers with high rates maybe falling but they are still a bit too high for comfort. All you get told is you're not in danger of a local lockdown.
Which brings into question what just what the numbers of cases has to be for action to be taken? If nationally and more importantly locally they just came out and told you at least you'd know truly want the risk was. Instead you can the usual PR press release and political spin.
Maybe a local infection risk score needs bringing in with simple clear public health messaging for each level. nothing too complex a simple traffic light like one would do maybe?The national one was never going to work it came in way too late and even the government passed it by.

We may get away with the pubs opening for the next few weeks but at some point opening everything up even with measures in place. Something is forced to happen if other part's of the world with let's face it are way better at this than we are. Are having new cases then so are we. Testing is still not good enough, tracing is not good enough numbers of contacts that can't be found has really not moved since it started. Without much better public health messages both at a national and local level we are more than at risk than most of cases going up.

tom73

Guru
Royal Society in two new reports backs face coverings in public with clear message "don't leave home without one"
Not wearing a face covering should be regarded as "anti-social" in the same way as drink driving or failing to wear a seatbelt, say president
Who believes the problem is "the message has not been clear enough" and guidelines have been inconsistent.
https://royalsociety.org/news/2020/...ciety-urges-everyone-to-wear-a-face-covering/

Johnno260

Veteran
Well not really as it means the current situation carries on for ever.
I know I was being semi sarcastic and thinking we could rid the world of some grade-A idiots.

I had some arguments with anti vax members of the family, when they say x illness still exists even with vaccines I replied yes as idiots like you don't take them, look at the measles out breaks in the USA as a classic example.

Same relative told my mother not to have the flu jab as it has mercury in it, yes it's a mercury based ingredient sure, but it's not as if they give you a shot of what's in the thermometer..

This out break really has highlighted the idiocy, selfish attitude of many, I would say I'm surprised by that statistic but I really am not.

Top Bottom