Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Risking going to Harrogate for pizza tomorrow night. Am going on the bus to get there too!

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Is it just me that is confused by the rules? There is guidance which is more onerous than the regulations and both of these have differences within the UK.
It seems that it is safe for pubs to reopen but not pubs and they advise against using the bus while encouraging the use of gyms. Best of all it is compulsory to wear a face covering on the Isle of Wight ferry even if sat on the outside deck.

Its been a few weeks since I looked at the gouv.fr covid dashboard to see how our region is faring healthwise and as of today it looks good one month after most things being reopened. The bars opened on 2nd of June and many tourism sites by second week in June.
The administrative region is Nouvelle Aquitaine, population 5.9 million in a land area of 32,000 sq miles, similar to Scotland on both counts. The largest population centre is Bordeaux (1.1 million), Glasgow and Edinburgh combined is about the same. Both areas have large urban conurbations and sparsely populated countryside, taking out social and travel demographics the two are similar.
On the 1st of June a total of 395 dead, 36 in ICU, 263 other hospital stay, 1,928 gone home. On the 9th of July 421 dead, 9 in ICU, 56 other hospital stay and 2,200 gone home.
I make the comparison with Scotland solely on population, centres of population and land area. What I was looking for was an increase in cases after the relaxation of the various confinement regulations, the schools, bars, sports places, shops and visitor attractions. I have been out doing the things I used to do, meetings, some work, leisure activities in towns, cities and countryside and of course bars because I like the social life there. Places are no doubt quieter but I have seen many people going about their usual business and the numbers say that so far there has been no increase in cases here since the start of June when the pause was lifted.
Although this part of France was relatively unscathed by the horror that gripped the north east Scots have every reason to believe that things will go well until the autumn at least. For the Francophile cyclists among you who yearn for sunshine, quiet roads and foreign muck to eat, anywhere in central and south western France looks fairly safe at the moment.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Is it just me that is confused by the rules? There is guidance which is more onerous than the regulations and both of these have differences within the UK.
It seems that it is safe for pubs to reopen but not pubs and they advise against using the bus while encouraging the use of gyms. Best of all it is compulsory to wear a face covering on the Isle of Wight ferry even if sat on the outside deck.
I’m finding it all a bit contradictory too. I now have to wear a face covering for a quick run through the supermarket, following the one way system and social distancing, yet next week I can go and sit in a restaurant or pub for a few hours.

lane

Veteran

Don't worry about the overly complicated and contradictory guidance just ignore it. I can't imagine many people are trying to keep up to date or follow it now. Posted previously but my children MUST wear a mask on the bus to school but MUST NOT wear it in school. Just forget about it - it is pointless.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Don't worry about the overly complicated and contradictory guidance just ignore it. I can't imagine many people are trying to keep up to date or follow it now. Posted previously but my children MUST wear a mask on the bus to school but MUST NOT wear it in school. Just forget about it - it is pointless.

Bus driver and other transport have been found to be very high risk occupations (unlike you or I fortunately and that's a blessing), so protection is needed, besides the high level of mixing and most transport are closed, small confined environments with sometimes with poor ventilation.

Schools on the other hand, teacher has been shown to be a much lower risk occupation and continuous mixing of new households not already involved in mixing in schools is low. Schools also have a much more sophisticated testing regime available to them than most high risk occupations (that's changing and being worked on). You have it the wrong way round. Instead of worrying about schools you should be jumping up and down in anger asking for MORE protections for some high risk occupations like security guard and bus driver.

Even if masks were mandated inside in various environments, schools would be one of the last places to have them mandated as it's believed to be a much lower risk.

You of course think that's complete nonsense, but you do know every single bit of that. The tabloid newspapers and Boris continuously going on about pubs, schools and jolly holidays continues to perpetuate these myths and stoke the worries.

As in all things with such a widespread virus, things have to be simplified. It's not really pointless, you are protecting the bus driver/train/other.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yes, just follow the WHO guidance. The gov.UK stuff is confusing but taking an occasional look at it makes you understand why so many business managers are crying: they have to follow that shoot else the beadle comes to shut them down. The best guideline stupidity I've seen so far was a couple of takeaways made to move their picnic tables further away from the shop, else it wouldn't be classed as takeaway and thereby closed down - and one of those was Sandringham Visitor Centre, where the removal of the tables in the area outside the cafe meant people now had a longer walk along a busy path to the woodland picnic area, during which they're much more likely to spill hot drinks on themselves or others. Net effect of that was probably harm to public health! At another place, it was suggested that the owners should replace metal (easy to wipe or wash, quick-drying) tables and chairs with soft fabric cushions which obviously weren't going to get cleaned during the day. :crazy: I really feel sorry for those trying to comply with all this while making ends meet at the minute, mostly in much more difficult locations than Sandringham.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes, just follow the WHO guidance. The gov.UK stuff is confusing but taking an occasional look at it makes you understand why so many business managers are crying: they have to follow that shoot else the beadle comes to shut them down. The best guideline stupidity I've seen so far was a couple of takeaways made to move their picnic tables further away from the shop, else it wouldn't be classed as takeaway and thereby closed down - and one of those was Sandringham Visitor Centre, where the removal of the tables in the area outside the cafe meant people now had a longer walk along a busy path to the woodland picnic area, during which they're much more likely to spill hot drinks on themselves or others. Net effect of that was probably harm to public health! At another place, it was suggested that the owners should replace metal (easy to wipe or wash, quick-drying) tables and chairs with soft fabric cushions which obviously weren't going to get cleaned during the day. :crazy: I really feel sorry for those trying to comply with all this while making ends meet at the minute, mostly in much more difficult locations than Sandringham.

Not much notice for the tranche of things announced today they can open up soon. Probably the UK government jumping/waiting on those ONS figures.

Somewhere I walk past seems to have been told to move it's tables closer to the cafe and now taking numbers.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Beard trimming will be allowed, but should be limited to ‘simple beard trims, thinning or removing bulk or length which can be done using either clippers or scissors’
Quote from this industry website https://www.nhbf.co.uk/news-and-blogs/news/beauty-industry-to-open-in-england-with-restrictions/

Anyone who can't trim their own beard at home by themselves is not worthy of having one, imho.

I'm also been doing my own hair - apart from Mrs R trimming round ears and neckline, it's so easy that I wish I'd been doing it years ago. Given that I find most modern mens hairstyles ridiculous, that might be easier for me than others :smile:

tom73

Guru
Much of the confusion is down to mixed messages and unclear ones.
The other main issue which is key is Ineffective public awareness of methods of transmission.
Studies of other counties clearly show both are key to pubic understanding and compliance.
Too much of the ”rules“ for business have been left to industry bodies to come up with.
As long as they are within government “guidelines“ they get the ok for government. They have been more or less free to read them as they see fit.

Top Bottom