Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
@greenmark

Yes I agree the economies around the world could take a hit. Governments have a fine line to tread between maintaining stable economies but also ensuring public health is looked after. Any truth in the rumour that the medical union in Hong Kong is considering strike action if the government doesnt close the borders? Read about it but not sure if its accurate at all.

greenmark

Guru
@greenmark

Yes I agree the economies around the world could take a hit. Governments have a fine line to tread between maintaining stable economies but also ensuring public health is looked after. Any truth in the rumour that the medical union in Hong Kong is considering strike action if the government doesnt close the borders? Read about it but not sure if its accurate at all.

Strike action has been confirmed by one union that makes up about 10% of nurses.
97% called in to strike, demanding closure of the border, guarantees of face masks. They're walking out tomorrow for the rest of the week.

The reasoning is that they don't want Hong Kong isolated from the rest of the world. The US, Italian and Filipino governments have already banned entry from people living in Hong Kong, as did the Vietnamese although they've rescinded that.

It really doesn't help that the HK government lost pretty much all legitimacy last year, so no one trusts them to have HKers' best interests at heart.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
@greenmark

Yup, it's true starting today. Some will strike then more will join as the week goes on. Just a shame that a section if HK society feel the need to politicise this for their own ends. Already, nurses have been phoning in sick rather than treat the patients that are ill. So what's the point of being a nurse then?

D

Deleted member 26715

So what's the point of being a nurse then?
I think that's a bit harsh, do you know the circumstances & situation that the nurses find themselves working in? Are they being given he protective clothing they require to be able to deal with these people safely? Are you expecting them to blindly put their own lives in danger to try to save somebody else?

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I think that's a bit harsh, do you know the circumstances & situation that the nurses find themselves working in? Are they being given he protective clothing they require to be able to deal with these people safely? Are you expecting them to blindly put their own lives in danger to try to save somebody else?

From what I’ve seen in the SCMP, they have full protection as you would expect in these cases. If they had no proper protection then, yes, I would agree with them.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I popped into screwfix yesterday for bits and Bob's.
Few people in the store at the counter.
Old fella comes in ,very chatty ..
Anyone know how to switch Bluetooth on on one of these new phones ??
Guy takes his phone and has a quick look..
It's on already he tells him..
I cant connect to the car he says.

Guy says switch Bluetooth on and off and it should connect...

How do I do that old fella asks.
So again the younger guy drags and drops down menu and shows him..

Old fella says sorry the screens filthy and then Licks it :laugh: The rest of us in the store just start laughing, and someone said hey look its Corona Man :laugh:

What hope have we :laugh:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My friends in HK are saying that the real PRC infection numbers are far higher than officially reported. These are sophisticated and we'll connected individuals

My friends in PRC remain effectively self quarantining in cities far from Hubei. Only going outside for essentials. They have been stuck in their apartments for two weeks. It is possible to buy things online via taobao (the Chinese Amazon) and food delivery like Deliveroo. Otherwise shops and restaurants remain closed. Supermarkets and meat and vegetable markets are open and are extremely busy as everybody is eating at home

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I know it isn’t life and death, but the Olympic committee are already worried about the Tokyo games this summer and F1 has to make a decision about the Chinese Grand Prix in April.

rescheduling the Olympics would be a huge undertaking, but I suppose they have to be alive to all eventualities.

greenmark

Guru
Will this be as bad as .........well something really bad ?

Well, it still has the potential to be really bad.

For new infections, it is likely that the totals in China are highly under-reported because there is a capacity issue on how many tests can be done. People in China with mild symptoms are being turned away.
If this is true, then it is difficult to assess if this will break out further. The good news is that mortality rates are likely to be much lower.

IMHO for a fit individual, the biggest risks come from panic buying and fear of supply chain disruptions.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Well, it still has the potential to be really bad.

For new infections, it is likely that the totals in China are highly under-reported because there is a capacity issue on how many tests can be done. People in China with mild symptoms are being turned away.
If this is true, then it is difficult to assess if this will break out further. The good news is that mortality rates are likely to be much lower.

IMHO for a fit individual, the biggest risks come from panic buying and fear of supply chain disruptions.

In addition to supply chain issues we should be mindful that Asia produce half the worlds plastics, or so I believe. Of that China make the biggest portion. There could be issues of getting products into packaging if China continue to have to quarantine large groups of people. However we could see this as an opportunity for the world upscale the use of alternatives. Plastic is horrible stuff. Every cloud and all that.

D

Deleted member 26715

The 34 year old doctor who the Chinese arrested for speaking out & bringing attention to the issue has died, so it's not only the old & frail it's striking down.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
No reports from Africa yet.
My suspicion is that there has to be cases in Africa going unreported, as China has loads of business interests there.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
No reports from Africa yet.
My suspicion is that there has to be cases in Africa going unreported, as China has loads of business interests there.
Correct, and generally African countries don't have the healthcare systems to cope with something like this

I was chatting again to friends in HK this morning. Now remember that they had virtually no cases two weeks ago. Their view now is that the virus is in HK and they have to ride it out. Panic buying means that basic stuff like noodles is sold out. Can't buy decent masks. They strongly urged me to buy masks in case UK goes in same direction, so I did this morning. £2 insurance policy

Top Bottom