Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm not sure those cheap masks stop much at all.
They are only of use to stop the most obvious of splashes or large droplets (ie if someone sneezed in your face). To be effective it needs to be an N95 mask which stops about 95% of all airborne particles. These are uncomfortable to wear as it makes breathing difficult. The cheap masks do offer some protection as they actually stop us putting our (infected) fingers near our mouths

At a practical level, the most effective thing people can do is to have a rigorous hand sanitising regime and to only touch things like lift buttons, banisters, door handles with gloved hands or knuckles etc

Adam4868

Guru
The cheap masks will offer next to no protection to a virus such as this.Maybe more to someone who doesn't want to pass it on they'd be of use.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have seen a few folk around london wearing masks.
We have quite a large contingent of Chinese students in Sheffield especially behind the Cathedral where lots of the office blocks have been converted into 'luxury' flats, it's not uncommon to see them walking around with face masks, even well before this outbreak.
OK, I'm not going to play these games. You obviously know, or believe to know, why not telling the public is for the good of the public but instead of advising me you want to try and trap me somehow first insisting I answer. Well my answer is I just want to know. I want to know if the risk is close to me or not. Now your turn.
I'm not playing any games I just fail to see how knowing where the 2 people are will either help you or change the way you lead your life. you do understand how the disease spreads don't you?

If I told you they were in isolation ward C2 Floor 6 of Newcastle General Hospital being cared for by a team of 12 special service personal specially trained in contagious disease medicine would it make you feel better?

Joffey

Big Dosser
It wouldn't change anything, it doesn't really matter where they are, if they're in Newcastle or York, the rest of the population there can't change anything they've done in the past two weeks.

I agree it can't change past behaviour but it might be able to change future behaviour. Currently we are going on as normal - knowing it is local might have people washing their hands more, being vigilant, not visiting the doctors if they have a cold etc...

But what would be nice is to know where the cases are and have proper medical and government advice if you are in these areas. But I suppose that's too much to ask for Boris Johnson who's tenure so far has been based on lies, mistruths and avoiding answering questions or scrutiny.

I appreciate that telling us might cause panic - but we are going to find out anyway - why not tell us sooner and control the situation rather than allowing speculation and rumour to circulate?

Personally I would like to know. You might not. Fair enough either way.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We have quite a large contingent of Chinese students in Sheffield especially behind the Cathedral where lots of the office blocks have been converted into 'luxury' flats, it's not uncommon to see them walking around with face masks, even well before this outbreak.
I'm not playing any games I just fail to see how knowing where the 2 people are will either help you or change the way you lead your life. you do understand how the disease spreads don't you?

If I told you they were in isolation ward C2 Floor 6 of Newcastle General Hospital being cared for by a team of 12 special service personal specially trained in contagious disease medicine would it make you feel better?
To be fair, I think wanting to know the location of the infected individuals (prior to treatment) is very much relevant. The virus is transmittable well before symptoms manifest themselves. If, for example, they were from my town, I would be very cautious now. If they were from somewhere 100 miles away I wouldn't be concerned. Where they're being treated now? Irrelevant

Joffey

Big Dosser
To be fair, I think wanting to know the location of the infected individuals (prior to treatment) is very much relevant. The virus is transmittable well before symptoms manifest themselves. If, for example, they were from my town, I would be very cautious now. If they were from somewhere 100 miles away I wouldn't be concerned. Where they're being treated now? Irrelevant

Exactly. I'm not bothered where they are being treated but I'd like to know if they were diagnosed in York, 35 miles away, so I can be a little more vigilant.

D

Deleted member 26715

If they were from somewhere 100 miles away I wouldn't be concerned.
Exactly. I'm not bothered where they are being treated but I'd like to know if they were diagnosed in York, 35 miles away, so I can be a little more vigilant.
Sorry but I think this is irrelevant, they are in the UK, so you have to treat anybody now in the UK as a potential carrier, if they have spent the last 2 weeks in London, just think of the number of people who have been to London for a reason in the last 2 weeks, then think of the number of people who they have been in contact with. Granted if they had spent the last weeks in a Lincolnshire village & never travelled outside of the village in that time but I find that highly unlikely.

This is just typical of the UK civil service, as soon as the Chinese announced it, let's face it for them to announce it means it was already serious, we should have stopped all flights.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Sorry but I think this is irrelevant, they are in the UK, so you have to treat anybody now in the UK as a potential carrier, if they have spent the last 2 weeks in London, just think of the number of people who have been to London for a reason in the last 2 weeks, then think of the number of people who they have been in contact with. Granted if they had spent the last weeks in a Lincolnshire village & never travelled outside of the village in that time but I find that highly unlikely.

This is just typical of the UK civil service, as soon as the Chinese announced it, let's face it for them to announce it means it was already serious, we should have stopped all flights.
Yebbut statistical analysis of how viruses spread doesn't support your assertion. People are generally sedentary and follow regular patterns in any two week period. If, for example, the infected people lived and worked in York I wouldn't be at all concerned here in Derbyshire as the contact between York and Glossop is very modest. If they lived and worked in, say, Hyde (which is about 4 miles from where I live) I would be concerned and would modify my behavior accordingly
Having said that, I will be in London the week after next and I think it prudent to take reasonable precautions regarding hand washing etc whilst there. The reason being that thousands travel to London every day (from York for example) and the tube seems an ideal place to pass any virus

D

Deleted member 26715

Yebbut statistical analysis of how viruses spread doesn't support your assertion. People are generally sedentary and follow regular patterns in any two week period. If, for example, the infected people lived and worked in York I wouldn't be at all concerned here in Derbyshire as the contact between York and Glossop is very modest. If they lived and worked in, say, Hyde (which is about 4 miles from where I live) I would be concerned and would modify my behavior accordingly
Having said that, I will be in London the week after next and I think it prudent to take reasonable precautions regarding hand washing etc whilst there. The reason being that thousands travel to London every day (from York for example) and the tube seems an ideal place to pass any virus
Although I sort of agree with you, these are visitors to the UK, therefore your sedimentary pattern is unlikely to be correct, visitors move around a lot more, for instance the biggest tourist attraction for Chinese visitors is the Peak & Lake District.

t

Yes, i wondered about that.

Some sort of cultural thing?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The cheap masks will offer next to no protection to a virus such as this.Maybe more to someone who doesn't want to pass it on they'd be of use.
They may help, take precautions.

Top Bottom