Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Everyone at work was sent an email saying that we should download the COVID 19 app to our work mobiles.

My work has been promoting the virus app as well. Needless to say, I'm not going to be downloading it and I've been pointing out the implications if they download it to the other staff I work with, which has certainly made some of them stop and think about it. From other postings it appears to be pretty flawed anyway, and I'm not having someone order me to isolate - especially on the basis of garbage false data.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's become very clear to me over the last few days many of the issues around how we should behave are poorly understood. The consequence is to reduce the effectiveness of the legal or advised behaviour.

How have I discovered this? I live in Lancashire a current high risk area under special restrictions. I had reason to need/want to understand what i can or cannot legally do and what I am advised to do. I had to read the published information on .gov.uk 6-7 times to understand the position.

I became interested in how the "track and trace" app works. Over 72 hours I spoke to numerous people, some in a potential position to understand through their occupation, and not one understood how this app works. The level of misinformation and misunderstanding is very scary.

I eventually discovered all the info I needed in the app FAQ. How many have the interest or determination to do this? I would guess less than 1% of the population.

The lack of clear, simple and concise instruction or direction is directly and negatively impacting all the authorities efforts to control the spread of Covid-19. It's a big problem and if I can see this and know the solution why can't the authorities???

tom73

Guru
It's become very clear to me over the last few days many of the issues around how we should behave are poorly understood. The consequence is to reduce the effectiveness of the legal or advised behaviour.

How have I discovered this? I live in Lancashire a current high risk area under special restrictions. I had reason to need/want to understand what i can or cannot legally do and what I am advised to do. I had to read the published information on .gov.uk 6-7 times to understand the position.

I became interested in how the "track and trace" app works. Over 72 hours I spoke to numerous people, some in a potential position to understand through their occupation, and not one understood how this app works. The level of misinformation and misunderstanding is very scary.

I eventually discovered all the info I needed in the app FAQ. How many have the interest or determination to do this? I would guess less than 1% of the population.

The lack of clear, simple and concise instruction or direction is directly and negatively impacting all the authorities efforts to control the spread of Covid-19. It's a big problem and if I can see this and know the solution why can't the authorities???

D
Good question I suspect some in power nationally and locally do but to do anything about. As it means admitting they got it wrong something which they don't like doing. Much better to play the blame game locally they blame government. In turn the government blame the councils and when they need to up the anti they move on to the public.

• Sad
Reactions: mjr

PK99

Legendary Member

So, random people you asked did not have the info you wanted. But it was available all the while in the app FAQ.

Doh! Who knew?

Adam4868

Guru
So, random people you asked did not have the info you wanted. But it was available all the while in the app FAQ.

Doh! Who knew?
Lock down in Blackpool...what fecking lockdown ? Busiest weekend in the last 10/15 years I'd say.
The only thing most know is that it's 10pm closing..what's the other differences ?

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Doh! Who knew?
I'm unsure of your point but it seems you've entirely missed the point. I was unclear how this app works and as most people would chatted about it with friends, asked them what they knew, it's how the world works.

It became clear everyone I spoke to, all educated and interested people, 14 in total did not understand the app. Through word of mouth, my wife's three tennis partners, I discovered another 3 making 17 in total.

I decided it was important to find out so I delved into the FAQ and found the info.

I'd respectfully suggest to you it is those who have launched this app and failed to publicise some basic info who are worthy of your "Doh" comment.

Expecting the bulk of potential users to sit down and read the FAQs is fantasy land.

aferris2

Guru
I am reading that if you use the qr code to log into a venue that there is no way to log out until it automatically resets at midnight. So you could be told to self isolate based on the presence of someone with a +ve test who arrived after you left.
No, there is a button at the bottom of the screen to say you're back home (and one to cancel the log in). You get logged out at midnight automatically if you forget to click the button.

tom73

Guru
The FAQ isn't too bad and I agree when I read the faq I found some stuff that wasn't on tv.

Not available in all formats though different languages yes but not easy read for LD's or other conditions such as dementia.
In fact since the early days of this no updated information/guidelines have been in any other format.
It's been left to others to put them into different languages.
We still don't have any official broadcasts or press briefings that are signed. Unless you're watching on BBC news at the time.
Even ones made parliament the speaker just stands up and says watch the BBC if you need it signed.
So even if they wanted to many can't access official information pretty crap as it's suppose to be public health information.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
So even if they wanted to many can't access official information pretty crap as it's suppose to be public health information.

There was a lot of work here in March/April by community groups on information in Somali, Arabic and Urdu.

The quality of information in English back then was not so good though.

Julia9054

Guru
No, there is a button at the bottom of the screen to say you're back home (and one to cancel the log in). You get logged out at midnight automatically if you forget to click the button.
Ah. That makes more sense. The twitter peeps complaining can’t have seen that. Haven’t tried it myself because, although I have downloaded the app, i haven’t been anywhere since.
Did we ascertain earlier in the discussion what happens if I sit on my sofa all evening and the woman next door does the same less than 2 metres away on the other side of the wall?

tom73

Guru
Ah. That makes more sense. The twitter peeps complaining can’t have seen that. Haven’t tried it myself because, although I have downloaded the app, i haven’t been anywhere since.
Did we ascertain earlier in the discussion what happens if I sit on my sofa all evening and the woman next door does the same less than 2 metres away on the other side of the wall?
No it's not clear cut but basically it may or may not trigger a warning. I did see one expert think one in three alerts will be a false.
Best if in doubt turn it off be it at home, work or left in the car when out and about you may have problems but not much you can do about one. Other than not use it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
No it's not clear cut but basically it may or may not trigger a warning. I did see one expert think one in three alerts will be a false.
Best if in doubt turn it off be it at home, work or left in the car when out and about you may have problems but not much you can do about one. Other than not use it.

Hardly a ringing endorsement for the app is it? Given that money seems no object with anything coronavirus related, you'd think they'd a) manage to develop something reliable and trustworthy, and b) explain in detail exactly how it works in order to counter the inevitable outlandish conspiracy theories that are bound to circulate.

If a large number of my colleagues download this app and it gives off a high proportion of false alerts, that could be a real paid time off staff bonanza, and a massive paying staff wages to sit at home problem for my job - as if I get sent home for virus-related reasons I'm on full pay. That got me thinking; if I download the app and carry my work phone with me everywhere (which I usually do in case someone needs to get hold of me about something urgent), it probably won't be too long before I get an alert, either real or false.. If that happens, it's automatically two weeks at home putting my feet up and drinking tea - on full pay. Maybe I should download the app after all? :laugh:

Julia9054

Guru
Hardly a ringing endorsement for the app is it? Given that money seems no object with anything coronavirus related, you'd think they'd a) manage to develop something reliable and trustworthy, and b) explain in detail exactly how it works in order to counter the inevitable outlandish conspiracy theories that are bound to circulate.

If a large number of my colleagues download this app and it gives off a high proportion of false alerts, that could be a real paid time off staff bonanza, and a massive paying staff wages to sit at home problem for my job - as if I get sent home for virus-related reasons I'm on full pay. That got me thinking; if I download the app and carry my work phone with me everywhere (which I usually do in case someone needs to get hold of me about something urgent), it probably won't be too long before I get an alert, either real or false.. If that happens, it's automatically two weeks at home putting my feet up and drinking tea - on full pay. Maybe I should download the app after all? :laugh:
If I get sent home to self isolate, I still have to do my job and teach all my lessons online with a cover teacher broadcasting me to my class. A colleague has already done this and it was a major ballache involving lots of extra planning and it didn’t work very well. I am very, very keen not to have to do it!
Yeah - I can tell you now I’m not going to remember to keep turning it on and off!

Top Bottom