Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I can be working in close proximity to other staff for several hours a day, never mind 15 minutes. Mostly the same people admittedly, but in the real world, not the air conditioned office or work from home on a computer world, there is a lot of contact with others and most of it is unavoidable if you actually aim to get any work done and not piss about all day doing bugger all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
... but in the real world, not the air conditioned office or work from home on a computer world, ...
You probably have terrible problems getting IT support or many customer services if they realise your attitude to their work!

Just because they're not shifting sacks or whatever doesn't make their work any less critical. Be thankful they can be a bit more isolated and sacrifice a little mental health to help everyone's physical health.

classic33

Leg End Member
I can be working in close proximity to other staff for several hours a day, never mind 15 minutes. Mostly the same people admittedly, but in the real world, not the air conditioned office or work from home on a computer world, there is a lot of contact with others and most of it is unavoidable if you actually aim to get any work done and not piss about all day doing bugger all.
And you handle all the public contact, face to face, as per the post quoted.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
my wife was telling me about someone in our locality, who was contacted by Scottish track and trace people as they had come into contact with a positive case. They were asked to isolate and to also get a test. They duly tested positive as well and isolated for two weeks with not a single symptom!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
my wife was telling me about someone in our locality, who was contacted by Scottish track and trace people as they had come into contact with a positive case. They were asked to isolate and to also get a test. They duly tested positive as well and isolated for two weeks with not a single symptom!
This is what makes it so worrying...............if you get it are you going to be one of the lucky ones that barely even notices you have it, or for whatever reason it hits you bad and you end up needing hospitalised with all the follow up health problems if you survive.

Julia9054

Guru
I thought we were only supposed to get a test now if we actually have symptoms

tom73

Guru
Correct. Whether or not you are told to self-isolate (via either NHS Track & Trace or the Covid-19 App) you should only get a test if you get symptoms.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...in-contact-with-a-person-who-has-coronavirus/
They've been a bit selective with the facts not sure which Serco dept did that page.
A clinical contact tracer can decide if you need one or not. Not the unqualified Serco call handler equally if any HCP tell's you to get a test you can have one with or without symptoms. I'd like to see an unqualified call handler or unqualified Serco guy at the test centre. Over rule that one.

tom73

Guru
Also have I read this right if your told to isolate and have no symptoms you can't have a test. Unless you have symptoms no-one else in your household has to isolate. But without a test and no symptoms you have no idea if you have Covid or not. Equally the rest of your household don't either but can freely go about and possibly infect others. Given the high numbers of asymptomatic cases this sounds crazy.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Also have I read this right if your told to isolate and have no symptoms you can't have a test. Unless you have symptoms no-one else in your household has to isolate. But without a test and no symptoms you have no idea if you have Covid or not. Equally the rest of your household don't either but can freely go about and possibly infect others. Given the high numbers of asymptomatic cases this sounds crazy.

Testing wouldn't help much in this situation, I think? There is an incubation period before you would test positive. So if you're tested immediately a large proportion of those who would ultimately become infectious would get a negative test. I think the view is that you need two negative tests at least a week apart to mitigate that. Perhaps the view is that the "contacts of contacts" are sufficiently low risk that the risk/benefit of them isolating too doesn't justify it?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
They've been a bit selective with the facts not sure which Serco dept did that page.
A clinical contact tracer can decide if you need one or not. Not the unqualified Serco call handler equally if any HCP tell's you to get a test you can have one with or without symptoms. I'd like to see an unqualified call handler or unqualified Serco guy at the test centre. Over rule that one.

Interesting.

So what would be the criteria for a tracer telling you that you should/must get a test, if you're symptomless ?

tom73

Guru
Testing wouldn't help much in this situation, I think? There is an incubation period before you would test positive. So if you're tested immediately a large proportion of those who would ultimately become infectious would get a negative test. I think the view is that you need two negative tests at least a week apart to mitigate that. Perhaps the view is that the "contacts of contacts" are sufficiently low risk that the risk/benefit of them isolating too doesn't justify it?
Your right about a possible time lag the main thing is you may never know either way. if it's suspected you maybe a risk it's common sense to assume others you live with maybe too. As they have been in close contact with you but it's assumed they must be ok as no-one has symptoms. Which sounds to make little sense.

Reactions: mjr

tom73

Guru
Interesting.

So what would be the criteria for a tracer telling you that you should/must get a test, if you're symptomless ?
If the situation was more complex than just meeting one friend down the pub and both of you when home and been at home for days.
Out the blue if Mrs 73 got a phone call due to none work place contact she'd have to be past on to a clinical contact tracer.
Currently she could have possible infect over 1000 people. A bit of a extremest example but a untrained contact tracer can't make a call about that. She'd just book one any way and equally i'd have to have one before she could go back to work.

I don't know just what the Serco computer tell's an untrained call handler. What i'm trying to say is it's not as clear cut as the public information is trying to make out. In the end if they fixed the Serco T&T they'd not have to try and ration them or worry about never knowing if untraced cases are freely infecting others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom