Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Yes but it's Scotland so it doesn't get reported down here ;)

More seriously, "Nicola Sturgeon humiliated as coronavirus app wreaks HAVOC on phones – ‘doesn’t work!’" - sorry did I write serious? That's the Faily Express.

There were some comments early on about it saving the number of close contacts in a settings variable, which would be poor in several ways, but the report on The Herald's website that was at https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18734312.protect-scotland-app-check-many-people-come-contact/ is now only in search engine caches and most of the others seem gone completely.

I've not seen that many reviews of it at all. Does it suffer the same distance measurement problems and close-contact-through-walls as the England and Wales one?
Sorry I cannot give any reasonable answer. The Herald is not necessarily a reliable source of information but the link says the page has gone anyway. I have not heard of any particular problems but if there were the BBC would have a major feature of it at regular intervals.
Nicola Sturgeon is the front for the Scottish Government but the media seem to slant everything as though she was doing everything herself.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have not heard of any particular problems but if there were the BBC would have a major feature of it at regular intervals.
While I agree with much of your post, I do not share your faith in the state broadcaster at this time, or about technology news reporting in general.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
While I agree with much of your post, I do not share your faith in the state broadcaster at this time, or about technology news reporting in general.
I have no faith in the state broadcaster but any anti Scottish and particularly any anti SNP story gets major coverage here. The truth is only an option.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Let us know whether the waiting time for results is accurate. I've done 3 weekly tests for the ONS survey, was told 8 - 10 day delay, and I still haven't had any back.

I got my Covid-19 test result in an email this morning. It was negative. Did the swab test Thu morning before 8am (as they ask you to do that on day on collection), then put in fridge. Collected about 5pm on Thu, and result this morning. So what's that about 3.5 days (84 hours ish) from collection?

Remember this is the randomised NHS / Imperial College Covid-19 testing to inform Government action, so it may be on a fast track than other testing (if you have symptoms etc).

Edited to note you were also doing testing for the randomised Covid-19 testing from those on NHS GP registers.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
So my old neighbours are coming up for a short break next week. Now they can’t pop into the house and sit several feet away from me on the couch, but I can go out for a meal and sit inches away from them at a table. No wonder people are getting fed up and confused.

I didn't think you could do that at a pub, unless you are in the same household or support bubble. The pubs we've been in to eat, there's been a good 2m or more seperation between tables and perspex shields up.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I didn't think you could do that at a pub, unless you are in the same household or support bubble. The pubs we've been in to eat, there's been a good 2m or more seperation between tables and perspex shields up.
We are going out on Wednesday evening. My first experience, so we shall see how it goes, but I will obviously be sitting either beside them or across a reasonably narrow table to eat.

tom73

Guru

tom73

Guru
First hospital to pass a 1000 total Covid deaths to date I don't think it will be alone :sad:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-54323193

mjr

First reports are starting to dribble in about places refusing to serve people who haven't downloaded the NHS-branded app. Has anyone encountered one yet? Do you know how they're enforcing it? Is a QR scanner and a screenshot enough to fool them? Just for the benefits of those of us with non-blessed smartphones, you know?

Has someone already made an app that decodes the QR code (it's UKC19TRACING:1:base64json.base64json.base64code with the second base64json containing the venue name in the "opn" field) and displays the check-in screen yet?

Last edited:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
First reports are starting to dribble in about places refusing to serve people who haven't downloaded the NHS-branded app. Has anyone encountered one yet? Do you know how they're enforcing it? Is a QR scanner and a screenshot enough to fool them? Just for the benefits of those of us with non-blessed smartphones, you know?

Has someone already made an app that decodes the QR code (it's UKC19TRACING:1:base64json.base64json.base64code with the second base64json containing the venue name in the "opn" field) and displays the check-in screen yet?

It does have to be said it's in a venue's interest to encourage use of the app, or even go further and say only the app (even though they shouldn't). It saves sharing pens, paper, storage space and other things.

Places are checking things.

mjr

It does have to be said it's in a venue's interest to encourage use of the app, or even go further and say only the app (even though they shouldn't). It saves sharing pens, paper, storage space and other things.
How is it a venue's interest to turn the few remaining willing customers away?

Places are checking things.
How can they check?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
How is it a venue's interest to turn the few remaining willing customers away?

How can they check?

Risk aversion.

Pubs are looking at people's phones. I would imagine that looking at it all day long staff can tell, although a good fake would probably get past.

Venues are also checking group sizes more.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I just read that the bars in the houses of parliament have been classed as workplace canteens and therefore don't have to shut at 10pm or follow stricter mask requirements and test and trace data-gathering procedures. One rule for the mobs, no rules for the nobs.

Top Bottom