Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You posted that at 1543, press reports at 1200 were already reporting that that unforseen wrinkle in the regs had been voided by parliamentary authorities choosing to close bars at 10pm, though they will continue to serve food.

Indeed and many work places will have canteens that need to open through the night.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You posted that at 1543, press reports at 1200 were already reporting that that unforseen wrinkle in the regs had been voided by parliamentary authorities choosing to close bars at 10pm, though they will continue to serve food.
I hadn't seen the update. Notice it was a choice following public exposure. We don't get that choice.

stowie

Legendary Member
Apparently Jon Ashworth has raised in the HoC the suggestion of having an app which tells you the COVID restrictions in the area you are in.

Sounds a really simple, good idea.

You could have an app which downloaded all the latest UK wide restrictions every day and then told you the restrictions that apply based on your home location and your current location. Seems quite a nice idea to help out as different areas go into different lockdown restrictions.

tom73

Guru
Apparently Jon Ashworth has raised in the HoC the suggestion of having an app which tells you the COVID restrictions in the area you are in.

You could have an app which downloaded all the latest UK wide restrictions every day and then told you the restrictions that apply based on your home location and your current location. Seems quite a nice idea to help out as different areas go into different lockdown restrictions.
The current one tells you that in a way.

PK99

Legendary Member

Screenshot from current app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200928-224428_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-224428_Samsung Internet.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I got my Covid-19 test result in an email this morning. It was negative. Did the swab test Thu morning before 8am (as they ask you to do that on day on collection), then put in fridge. Collected about 5pm on Thu, and result this morning. So what's that about 3.5 days (84 hours ish) from collection?

Remember this is the randomised NHS / Imperial College Covid-19 testing to inform Government action, so it may be on a fast track than other testing (if you have symptoms etc).

Edited to note you were also doing testing for the randomised Covid-19 testing from those on NHS GP registers.
Your test was on a far faster track than the ONS survey seems to be. I will have completed 4 weekly tests by midday today, so after 28 days I still haven't heard a thing. I did hear a suggestion that testing capacity in London has been reduced while the need is greater elsewhere.

screenman

Legendary Member
When out we are seeing a lot of school kids about during the day, my son a deputy head has spotted some of his pupils out and about who should be self isolating and has made phone calls to parents to remind them of this.

PK99

Legendary Member
Ah but if others also have their phones with the app active in adjacent lockers then all your phones will think you’ve been in close contact all day.

On the main page of the app is a button to switch off T&T, use it and it asks if you want a reminder in 4, 8 or 12 hours to switch back on.

Same function is also useful when at home as battery saver. E.g. overnight.

I'll only have it switched on when out and about in busy areas. E.g. not on my 3 hour country walk yesterday.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
On the main page of the app is a button to switch off T&T, use it and it asks if you want a reminder in 4, 8 or 12 hours to switch back on.

Same function is also useful when at home as battery saver. E.g. overnight.

I'll only have it switched on when out and about in busy areas. E.g. not on my 3 hour country walk yesterday.

Erm yes, hence why I said if active.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
No it's not.

We ate out numerous times during the scheme- not once in a crowded restaurant. All the places we chose (pubs to restaurants) had good social distancing and other covid precautions

Plonkers chose to eat in crowded restaurants.

Even with good precautions, which certainly were not everywhere, eating indoors in the same space as strangers is a high risk activity. Perhaps not high enough to ban, but certainly high enough not to subsidize, especially with the risk that subsidy brings crowding.

tom73

Guru
No it's not.

We ate out numerous times during the scheme- not once in a crowded restaurant. All the places we chose (pubs to restaurants) had good social distancing and other covid precautions

Plonkers chose to eat in crowded restaurants.

We have to see past distancing when eating indoors you can have all the spaced out tables you want. But how many have air con that just pusher the air round and round. We have well documented cases of outbreak all down to air con and poor ventilation. At the time of eat out to help out we had no way near the right enforcement of measures in place many placers as now just gave it lip service. Also universal mask use inside restaurants was every hit and miss only now has it been made a requirement.
Which ever way you look at eating in doors is a risk and should be limited it was pretty fool hardy back then to encourage it given testing and contact tracing was just not up to job never mind anything else.

Top Bottom