Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

vickster

Legendary Member
It's not related to Covid - it's the overall obesity rate (when using BMI as a gauge).
Wasn’t your point tho that the death rate with Covid is lower in Scotland despite higher obesity (Scotland doing better)? But I’m not sure whether you meant as a percentage or absolute?

you said...
If it's true, why has Scotland fared better than England? Scotland has 30% of adults obese compared to 27% in England

I’m confused...if faring better not related to Covid what was the point being made?

Joey Shabadoo

Wasn’t your point tho that the death rate with Covid is lower in Scotland despite higher obesity (Scotland doing better)? But I’m not sure whether you meant as a percentage or absolute?

you said...
If it's true, why has Scotland fared better than England? Scotland has 30% of adults obese compared to 27% in England

I’m confused...if faring better not related to Covid what was the point being made?
The point is Boris is blaming obesity for a ridiculously high death rate but there is more obesity in Scotland and a lower death rate compared to England.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The nature of the population distribution is vastly different. Brazil has many millions of people living in slum shanty towns in addition to the permanent urban built environment. New Zealand doesn't have that situation. I wouldn't mind betting a high proportion of the coronavirus cases in Brazil are in the slums and the most densely populated parts of major cities. It's starting to really kick off in India now too, and I would suspect the city slums are where it is spreading the fastest.
First world countries have a higher proportion of office type jobs where the population can do things like homeworking to minimise contact. Countries further down the development pecking order can't do that to the same extent. There are a whole host of reasons why the impact of the virus has not been uniform.
Exactly right, the socio-economic conditions are of enormous importance, which brings us back to the governance of the country. You said it was down to population density in general, you didn't distinguish between types.

vickster

Legendary Member
The point is Boris is blaming obesity for a ridiculously high death rate but there is more obesity in Scotland and a lower death rate compared to England.
How are you quantifying the death rate, and among what sub samples (age, gender, ethnicity, mixture of the above, all of which are also deemed risk factors)? It’s clearly multifactorial. That was my question?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Exactly right, the socio-economic conditions are of enormous importance, which brings us back to the governance of the country. You said it was down to population density in general, you didn't distinguish between types.

Given the massive disparity between countries in similar socioeconomic circumstances, it seems that governance is the overriding issue.

Population density is obviously a potential issue, but seems (Hong Kong...) clearly not to be decisive.

Joey Shabadoo

How are you quantifying the death rate, and among what sub samples (age, gender, ethnicity, mixture of the above, all of which are also deemed risk factors)? It’s clearly multifactorial. That was my question?
I'm not drilling too deep but I've probably put more thought into it than Johnson's "It's your own fault fatties" line.

• Laugh
Reactions: mjr

Joey Shabadoo

One of my colleagues has been taken off furlough and is out visiting factories today. Two timber frame companies this morning, not a mask in sight, no social distancing at all and only a couple of posters on the wall. He of course is wearing the full PPE we've been issued - plastic face guard, mask, gloves etc and he's getting laughed at. "fark Covid" as one guy said to him.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
One of my colleagues has been taken off furlough and is out visiting factories today. Two timber frame companies this morning, not a mask in sight, no social distancing at all and only a couple of posters on the wall. He of course is wearing the full PPE we've been issued - plastic face guard, mask, gloves etc and he's getting laughed at. "fark Covid" as one guy said to him.

Honestly, these are the places where the virus will continue to spread, just as is happening in the food processing plants - 4 or 5 now. Schools getting shut etc.

pawl

Legendary Member
Looks like Leicester is on its way to lockdown.Dont know how it’s going to be managed as it areas on the eastern side of the city Mayor of Leicester Peter Soulsby is more interested in finding reasons for not looking not to look at solutions

Edit Apparently the suggestion is to extend the current lockdown for a further two weeks.

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Wales has the highest number of corona virus cases per 100,000 people than anywhere else in the UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-confirmed-covid-19-cases#Echobox=1593160316

It's surprising given their stricter lockdown rules and the fact that they won't allow people from England in.

The total caseload is likely more related to the prevalence at the time of loackdown than anything else.

The rate of decrease should be related to how well observed social distancing, track and trace etc has been.

What's the *current* rate of infection in Wales?

_113155751_graph.jpg

I've not done the maths, but eyeballing that it looks like a steeper decline than the overall UK so lower current per capita, which would indicate the lockdown and other measures to suppress have indeed been more effective than in England. But like I say, that's just eyeballing, which isn't a reliable statistical tool!

Top Bottom