Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Wales has the highest number of corona virus cases per 100,000 people than anywhere else in the UK.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-confirmed-covid-19-cases#Echobox=1593160316

It's surprising given their stricter lockdown rules and the fact that they won't allow people from England in.
Is it surprising? It looked like much of their extra restrictions had naff all to do with coronavirus and everything to do with MS prejudices. It seemed especially counterproductive to keep advising to restrict all time outdoors (and more harshly than England ever did) and to stay near home when you do go out when we know the flipping thing spreads more easily indoors and it seems likely that it spreads more easily in built-up areas.

Sturgeon reported as saying that she ‘has no plans’ to quarantine tourists from England but it sounds as if she is keeping her options open. It’s news to me that she’s even allowed to do this. The Scottish Conservatives are arguing that she shouldn’t as it will harm tourism. You’d think if she genuinely wasn’t allowed to do it they would be pointing this out too.
Begs the question of how it could possibly be policed and enforced.
It would be much simpler if she could simply close the border.

MntnMan62

Über Member
You often make some quite out there and shoot from the hip comments on this thread without explanation.

Yours is opinion only. Handling of fruit and vegetables with bare hands varies heavily on cultural background and individual difference.

You are just very different from some others on this thread.

Maybe. But I'm not very different from most of the people I know. And collectively the people I know and associate with are extremely mindful of this virus, social distance and wear masks. Off the cuff? Hardly. You don't have to agree with what I say. And I always provide explanation. Maybe you should be a little more open to other people's point of view.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Latest govt dashboard shows hospitalizations essentially static.

2308.jpg

We seem now to be no longer significantly reducing virus transmission.

We've had pre warning (see Bournemouth) that attitudes are not helping.

Why the fark are we opening pubs at all until rates are clearly falling, let alone on a farking Saturday??

Madness. All this effort to drive things down and both govt and a large proportion of people seem determined to go back where we just left.

farking insane.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller

midlife

Guru
Is it a lockdown if they can just go to Derby or Birmingham?

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/SiAngear/status/1277705770876809216

Cordon sanitaire........ But I very much doubt it.

All uphill

Still rolling along
You will remember the warning Italy's rapid increase sent out in February, March, which should have alerted governments.

Now we are getting a similar warning from growing numbers of cases, following early relaxation of lockdown in some of the southern states of the US.

Our government's response? Ignore the inconvenient facts, fingers crossed, go for it!

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
You will remember the warning Italy's rapid increase sent out in February, March, which should have alerted governments.

Now we are getting a similar warning from growing numbers of cases, following early relaxation of lockdown in some of the southern states of the US.

Our government's response? Ignore the inconvenient facts, fingers crossed, go for it!

To be fair, that seems to be the US government's response too ...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Indeed, and California state are the latest to start reversing their easing of measures, and are ordering bars to be closed again in many counties as of Friday. LA County will also close beaches after a 45% increase in infections last week, and 3000 new cases yesterday which is the highest number since the pandemic began.

Looks like the US is a bad place to be at the moment. 😔

Having said that, most US states were at least two to 3 weeks behind the UK in introducing restrictions, and also 2 to 3 weeks ahead of us in easing them. (Bars and restaurants have been open for many weeks now in many states or counties). So most states were under a similar form of "lockdown" to us for about a month less than we were.
I think New York State was the only state that I'd hold up as a better example of taking things seriously, they acted earlier and with more conviction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom