Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Putting my head over the parapet, I would suggest there’s been a far greater public compliance with govt advice here than down south. Yes there’s been the odd photo of Loch Lomond/Portobello/city centre parks but those haven’t been anything like the scale of the south coast beaches, the city centre raves, the huge protest marches that have been shown from England.
I suggest that the Scottish public have been buying in to Sturgeon’s message far more strongly than the English public have been buying into that of Boris. There’s been widespread comment that Sturgeon’s message has been clearer. Also, Sturgeon is seen as championing the cause of the Scottish people, most Scots see her as one of their own so are more likely to comply with her directions. Most English do not see Boris as one of their own.

I'm not so sure you're right, just more obvious down south as there are lots more people in less space, this article gives a good example of what a few groups up here think of some of the lockdown rules. Personally I think people everywhere are just fed up.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53247096

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don’t live far from Leicester.Only tend to visit the out skirts of Leicester Fosse Park for M & S food hall and South Wigston for the bike shop.

Hope the lockdown doesn’t last to long for you.
I live out of the City but within it's area in Braunstone Frith (in between Braunstone, New Parks Kirby Frith and Glenfield)

BTW I like the 'lockdown', it's been so peaceful.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If we don't get a grip of the figures how to use them and who need's them at time they need them. Get testing options and availably better at a ground level. Get the turn around and results better joined up. Underlined with effective tracking and clear simple not conflicting public health messages. All sorted my the autumn which is quickly coming down the line then we are toast.

I think the government are just focusing on the saliva test (whenever that's rolled out properly) and gearing up for the winter. And the economy, holidays, schools and pubs.

I don't think Leicester is worth panicking around, what it seems to show to me is government ineptitude about sharing information (and a lot of promises going out live on air right now). It also shows that the numbers within giganticly large margins of error in Leicester were steady for about a month before going upwards. This is very broadly similar to other places in the world where for 1-2 months in places if there isn't a superspreader event things circulate for one to two months and take off.

Also the govenment and PHE need to do proper graphics. This leads to the sort of conclusion jumping we've seen on this thread. Leicester as far as can be gauged is far, far, far worse than the other yellow areas on that map, which those are in turn are far worse than many of the other areas in the north of England and Midlands.

It's government ineptitude we need to worry most about.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I think the government are just focusing on the saliva test (whenever that's rolled out properly) and gearing up for the winter. And the economy, holidays, schools and pubs.

I don't think Leicester is worth panicking around, what it seems to show to me is government ineptitude about sharing information (and a lot of promises going out live on air right now). It also shows that the numbers within giganticly large margins of error in Leicester were steady for about a month before going upwards. This is very broadly similar to other places in the world where for 1-2 months in places if there isn't a superspreader event things circulate for one to two months and take off.

Also the govenment and PHE need to do proper graphics. This leads to the sort of conclusion jumping we've seen on this thread. Leicester as far as can be gauged is far, far, far worse than the other yellow areas on that map, which those are in turn are far worse than many of the other areas in the north of England and Midlands.

There was no increase in cases here in Leicester until the restrictions began to be lifted (in fact previously the rates of infection were relatively low)

Slick

Guru
There was no increase in cases here in Leicester until the restrictions began to be lifted (in fact previously the rates of infection were relatively low)
I think that is the danger time for everyone and when we finally get out of our lockdown I'll be even more careful than before.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

We had our county 'expert' on the local news yesterday saying that it's quite likely that they'll be borough or district outbreaks and local restrictions. They were very much saying the line they've said for a while very high housing density and multi-generational families in literally the same dwelling or nearby.

Leicester is just the first. It's what can be learned and whether that's passed onto other LAs or the government and enacted.

Most interesting thing to me today, John Bell thinks that the 71% of patients of covid-19 are asymptomatic is 'robust'. Highly relevant here. I've said it many times ever since the ONS published it, but it's not one the government seem to want to push, maybe due to uncertainties.

tom73

Guru

Hearing from public health that a new data sharing agreement has just been signed with the government. They more happy with what information they are now getting. However it's still not good enough for quick actions to be taken as they still have no way to access live information. Some are now setting up a process to record the word on the street from ones on the ground. To better understand what the picture looks like. It's a good idea but they still need the testing to back it all up.

Edit :- they are to get real time data after all the government has now done a u-turn. They are getting good at the of late.

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Hearing from public health that a new data sharing agreement has just been signed with the government. They more happy with what information they are now getting. However it's still not good enough for quick actions to be taken as they still have no way to access live information. Some are now setting up a process to record the word on the street from ones on the ground. To better understand what the picture looks like. It's a good idea but they still need the testing to back it all up.

Edit :- they are to get real time data after all the government has now done a u-turn. They are getting good at the of late.
It turns out that Grayling's successor Hancock signed a contract with Deloitte without instructions to share the data with either local councils or Public Health England. https://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2020-05-19.48980.h&p=24949

Johnno260

Veteran
Sensible decision I’m doling the same Did go to my local Halfords to pick up The cycling shoes I had ordered click and collect Kiosk was at the entrance so didn’t have to go in the shop

Halfords for all the bad press they get have set up the store very well for click and collect, I needed bulbs as a bad fuse blew loads of mine.

Then a deer jumped in front of my wife while driving back from a shift and smashed the car to pieces so could say it was an unnecessary journey in hindsight haha

Last edited:
Top Bottom