Coronavirus outbreak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Apart from the fact that the current Chinese Gov are a bunch of cnuts, there are two reasons why that are being reported here.
As in King daffodil, I presume.
Meanwhile in Taiwan, more sensible heads seem to prevail, bowing to the inevitable, without a party congress to affect policy.
This emasculation of China's productivity as successive cities lock down will have damaging effects across the globe, as will the loss of a proportion of Ukraine's harvest combined with the logistic friction because Odessa port being blockaded (off topic).

classic33

Leg End Member
Cases are on the up locally. Not by any large numbers, but every week for the last two months has seen an increase.

D

Deleted member 26715

I took my first test this year as I've not been feeling well for 10 days or so, strangely after having both my booster & flu jab 2 weeks ago, it was negative but still don't feel right.

davidphilips

Veteran
I took my first test this year as I've not been feeling well for 10 days or so, strangely after having both my booster & flu jab 2 weeks ago, it was negative but still don't feel right.

Make sure to stay hydrated and make an appointment to see your doctor, hope you are better soon but dont ignore a health issue.

tom73

Guru
Cases are on the up locally. Not by any large numbers, but every week for the last two months has seen an increase.

This is the problem testing is almost been killed off. So real true figures are wide off the mark stopping testing won’t make it magically go away. Numbers and severity maybe less than in the past but the effects are still high. Still mask up in shop ect as I put it someone who said “Still wear one if your vulnerable can understand” My reply was I’m not but my wife’s patients are. That killed the conversation.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The Zoe app is showing a few hotspots. Leeds get to dark red but neighbouring Bradford levels are far lower. In fact, Leeds looks like a very isolated hotspot. Other areas that get to the higher level maroon such as Herefordshire and Swindon have higher levels in adjoining areas.

(Windsor's maroon is surrounded by areas with not enough data so it's hard to say whether it's as isolated as it looks )
Screenshot_20221112-090733.png

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

I had a fairly extended period of fatigue and muscle aches after my flu jab. The booster was fine, though I'd had that a couple of weeks earlier. I also did a PCR and antibody test as part of the ONS infection survey at that time which came back negative for infection and positive for ''higher level'' antibodies. So it wasn't covid - either flu vaccine reaction or something else.

DRM

Guru
The Zoe app is showing a few hotspots. Leeds get to dark red but neighbouring Bradford levels are far lower. In fact, Leeds looks like a very isolated hotspot. Other areas that get to the higher level maroon such as Herefordshire and Swindon have higher levels in adjoining areas.

(Windsor's maroon is surrounded by areas with not enough data so it's hard to say whether it's as isolated as it looks )
View attachment 667683

I actually find that information/data hard to believe wrt Leeds being more infected than Bradford, I believe that cases are not being reported, and when the original outbreak was ongoing Bradford was a hotspot due to the huge amount of multi generational families all living in one house, along with flagrant breaking of lockdown rules, I was even told that cases were not being reported because if the person died their funeral has to take place in 24 hours, it seems locally people are getting covid but are not getting anywhere near as ill as when covid first struck

Ajax Bay

Guru
1668252209172.png

@classic33 see black line, and hope you are OK.
This is the problem testing is almost been killed off. So real true figures are wide off the mark stopping testing won’t make it magically go away. Numbers and severity maybe less than in the past but the effects are still high.
The above graph is ONS estimates and does not depend on individual testing, which as you say is very low and the data are 'worthless'. However thanks to the ONS surveillance, this is not a "problem". Prevalence averages 2% (21,000 per million), well down from a month ago, and I suggest the ONS data's quality is a magnitude better than the 'Zoe app'.
As for @Milzy link with no comment, the case for vaccinating under 12s seems to me to have been weak from the start. The case (JCVI) for vaccinating children (U12s) relied on the beneficial effect to the school student/child's 'community'. Vaccination reduces the chance of infection (any age) and whether or not it reduces transmission, if a person hasn't caught it they can't pass it on (important in a school context). Since the risk of serious illness caused by COVID-19 was very very low in healthy children the case probably turned on whether families could go for summer holidays abroad or not, rather than any medical case.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
@Milzy - the MP quoted stuff which was factually incorrect. Please try to research this yourself with a bit of diligence before posting.
Mod Edit: the factually incorrect post has now been deleted.
https://fullfact.org/health/vaccine-safety-westminster-debate/
"This is misleading.The German health ministry did mistakenly tweet, with reference to the Paul Ehrlich Institute, that one in 5,000 people had been affected by a serious side effect following a Covid-19 vaccine earlier this year. But it then deleted that tweet and later clarified that the reports weren’t known to be caused by the vaccine, just that they had happened afterwards."
Edited to add: MHRA (3 Nov): "The benefits of the vaccines in preventing COVID-19 and serious complications associated with COVID-19 far outweigh any currently known side effects in the majority of patients." "Our ongoing review of suspected adverse events [since autumn booster campaign start] has not revealed any new safety concerns."
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...irus-vaccine-summary-of-yellow-card-reporting

Last edited by a moderator:

classic33

Leg End Member
View attachment 667688
@classic33 see black line, and hope you are OK.

The above graph is ONS estimates and does not depend on individual testing, which as you say is very low and the data are 'worthless'. However thanks to the ONS surveillance, this is not a "problem". Prevalence averages 2% (21,000 per million), well down from a month ago, and I suggest the ONS data's quality is a magnitude better than the 'Zoe app'.
As for @Milzy link with no comment, the case for vaccinating under 12s seems to me to have been weak from the start. The case (JCVI) for vaccinating children (U12s) relied on the beneficial effect to the school student/child's 'community'. Vaccination reduces the chance of infection (any age) and whether or not it reduces transmission, if a person hasn't caught it they can't pass it on (important in a school context). Since the risk of serious illness caused by COVID-19 was very very low in healthy children the case probably turned on whether families could go for summer holidays abroad or not, rather than any medical case.
Black line is Northern Ireland, across the Irish Sea.

As of Thursday, still negative.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I actually find that information/data hard to believe wrt Leeds being more infected than Bradford, I believe that cases are not being reported, and when the original outbreak was ongoing Bradford was a hotspot due to the huge amount of multi generational families all living in one house, along with flagrant breaking of lockdown rules, I was even told that cases were not being reported because if the person died their funeral has to take place in 24 hours, it seems locally people are getting covid but are not getting anywhere near as ill as when covid first struck

I haven't followed Bradford figures but if they are ''early adopters,'' as seems to have been the case for London in general, it may be that the wave has already hit and, with fewer still susceptible people, their rates have dropped lower again.

Top Bottom