Coroner wants cyclists to be educated about danger of HGV's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

TFL should face corporate manslaughter charges, Boris should just be taken outside and shot.

You mean that the driver should be absolved of responsibility and instead go after the line painters ??

Linford

Seriously serious ? Easiest answer, it would be safer without the blue line at least no additional traffic rule interpretation required by anybody.

How many times have we seen 'this stupid cycle lane terminates before the junction' on here ?

Can you see the problem with the mindset...damned if they do, damned if they don't.
The biggest problem is lack of training all round, and too much emphasis on people using the lines painted on the roads to replace their requirement to think.

There are no positives in these deaths and it is hard not to reflect on the senselessness.

In both cases HGV blind spots played a part and it is hard to see how vehicles that have such glaring endemic safety flaws are allowed in busy streets.

The driver in the case of Miss De Gerin-Ricard had 3.7 seconds to spot her in one small mirror.

The stakes are too high to be relying on a driver looking at one small mirror for 3.7 seconds. Serious legislated redesign of HGVs has to be a political priority.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24568710

TFL should face corporate manslaughter charges, Boris should just be taken outside and shot.

A bad person tried that once (I was in a stationary car, but it still counts). His bangstick just went 'click' and he looked at the cocking mechanism in some disappointment. I have no idea whether he was trying to frighten me or shoot me...

But I'd appreciate it if you didn't propose a re-enactment. Or do you mean some other Boris?

Koga

How many times have we seen 'this stupid cycle lane terminates before the junction' on here ?

Can you see the problem with the mindset...damned if they do, damned if they don't.
The biggest problem is lack of training all round, and too much emphasis on people using the lines painted on the roads to replace their requirement to think.

You know my view, don't do it if you can't do it right. Awareness / training is very relevant, and I agree entirely with you.

Mr Dorling could have taken the lane but then he'd have to cut back to the segregated bit. The lorry is 2.4m, a boris bike is 67cm wide, the whole nearside lane altogether is just 3m. It won't fit. That blue paint is splashed about slap bang in the danger zone.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I know about the danger of HGV's but maybe some cyclists dont yet know. However me knowing about the dangers wont help me if one runs me over from behind.

Some of what she says makes sense, but surely the change and eductaion has to be with the lorry drivers too.
It would be like educating people about the danger of guns, without actually dealing with the removal of guns.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...ch-cyclists-about-danger-of-hgvs-8885729.html

I reckon that there are more lorry drivers who are trained/briefed to look out for cyclists than there are cyclists who are trained to look out for lorries turning left and the dangers of filtering on the inside of them.

A few weeks ago I was passed and then almost immediately left-hooked by one of those cardboard-crushing recycling trucks (looks like a refuse truck). The driver must have seen me (he moved out to pass) and yet swung left right in front of me... bizarre, scary and potentially fatal.

You don't have to be on a bike to be a victim of such poor driving. I used to use a route to work where I was habitually overtaken by cars and lorries alike who then had to break sharply to turn left directly in front of me. It's not as if I was going slowly in my Nissan Micra. I could never figure out what the rush was to gain ten or so metres on me.

I, unfortunately, have to drive in central London on ocassion and it's a nightmare with many cyclists. I cycle commute most days and drive rarely.

The problem is not managing around various cycling styles. Vehicles should bear the repsonsibility of making sure their manouvers are safe from cyclists who may be in primary, secondary, filtering etc etc.

However, what I find difficult if sometimes havng to deal with cyclists riding badly. I have had to make emergency manouvers to avoid cyclists rlj, swerving across lanes without looking, jumping off pavements infront of me. Any of these would not be seen as my fault in most circumstances, but I would hate to be the one to injure someone's son/daughter/wife/husband etc etc etc. I can easily see how a driver who drives all day would find this extrmely difficult and would really get annoyed with some cyclists. I only drive around once a month in/out of London, but I see enough to know that it would be a problem.

Education is need on all sides.

Linford

I reckon that there are more lorry drivers who are trained/briefed to look out for cyclists than there are cyclists who are trained to look out for lorries turning left and the dangers of filtering on the inside of them.

You don't have to be on a bike to be a victim of such poor driving. I used to use a route to work where I was habitually overtaken by cars and lorries alike who then had to break sharply to turn left directly in front of me. It's not as if I was going slowly in my Nissan Micra. I could never figure out what the rush was to gain ten or so metres on me.

When I was driving my daughters Corsa a few years ago (when she was learning to drive, we shared it) I was amazed at the number of cars which would cut me up or force their way in front of it in a filter :sad:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I agree with Boris (not the bumbling blond buffoon but the Boris above) regarding segregation and have my reservations about current campaigns demanding segregation. A totally segregated national cycle network is not going to happen so there needs to be a recognition that cyclists and motor traffic have to co-exist on the road.

I would like to see a combination of segregation at certain badly designed roads and junctions, combined with training and education, for cyclists and drivers. Training seems to be getting a lot of criticism as its seen as a having a required skillset to cycle on the road and is seen as a barrier to non cyclists taking to the bicycle. Whilst I can understand where they are coming from this is not a justification for stopping cycle training. Something that gives cyclists extra confidence and equips them with skills to navigate the existing road environment has to be beneficial.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What's wrong with it ?
At that point, you need to be owning the lane rather than on the left-hand side (where the paint leads cyclists) where you are in danger of left-turning vehicles. Either use traffic light phasing to avoid the conflict, give the blue paint an unbroken white line and legal status or hold your hands up and say ''cyclists, you're on your own here.''

me.

bus drivers get similar training, yet buses pose nowhere near the risk posed by HGVs. So, are cyclists more careless near lorries than buses, or is there another explanation?

Top Bottom