Correct position of gear cable end in the shifter (Tiagra)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Torquewrench

Hi all! it might be a silly question but this kind of thing I am doing for the first time so please forgive me :smile:

I am building my first bike and now I am in the middle of installing shifters (Tiagra 4700). But I cannot find information how the end of gear cable should be positioned in the 'gully' in the shifter?
In official Shimano instruction it is written 'Insert the cable in such a manner that the inner end is attached
to the unit.' - but it doesn't show how 'deep' it has to go inside the chamber? For the right shifter it goes till half, but for the left - doesn't seem to get in and is poking out - please check pics.
Cables were bought specifically for this type of groupset. Any clues what am I doing wrong?..
Also chambers for cable end on both shifters look a bit different so I am confused - is it supposed to be or something is broken (I have uploaded pics - sorry for finger tips :smile: ).
Thank you in advance!
1.jpg
2 Left shifter.jpg
3 right shifter.jpg
4 left shifter.jpg
5 right shifter.jpg
6 right shifter a.jpg

U

User6179

It looks like you don't have the shifters in the correct gear to fit the cables.

Tangoup51

First off, make sure it's in the easiest pedalling gear. I,e, the gear that selects the front derailleur to be in the smallest chain ring.

Then, Pull the cable through securely until it seats into place just like the right shifter.
After which, it should be 'locked' into position and you can replace the rubber housing and continue with setting up the cables.

Make sure you are in the highest ( low range ) gear before you start ( smallest rear sprocket, smallest front ring ). Then the pull the cables through the system from the derailleurs end, when the cables stop, they’re in position.

Another tip. Do not cut the cable to the correct length until after you have threaded them.
And make sure you leave enough cable sticking up from the front derailleur, to allow you to move it up, if you go for a larger front big ring in the future, or you’ll have to recable the front if / when you need to move it up.

OP
OP
Torquewrench

Torquewrench

thanks guys! that was fast to receive some responses!
I believe I will have to guess when shifter is in the highest gear - as none of the derailleurs are bolted in yet :smile:
just to clarify - is the cable's end in the correct position in this picture or should it be even further like where I drew the circle?
position.jpg

Last edited:
U

User6179

thanks guys! that was fast to receive some responses!
I believe I will have to guess when shifter is in the highest gear - as none of the derailleurs are bolted in yet :smile:
just to clarify - is the cable's end in the correct position in this picture or should it be even further like where I drew the circle? View attachment 393674

It will become self evident when you get the shifter into the correct gear, you are over thinking this I think.

OP
OP
Torquewrench

Torquewrench

UPDATE
Thanks again guys for taking your time and answering my question!
Looks like after playing a bit with switching gears with shifter's lever the situation changed and I managed to put the cable's end in, till the aprox. middle of the 'gully':

Attachments

• last.jpg
    last.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 148

Tangoup51

UPDATE
Thanks again guys for taking your time and answering my question!
Looks like after playing a bit with switching gears with shifter's lever the situation changed and I managed to put the cable's end in, till the aprox. middle of the 'gully':

Keep in mind if you have any other questions (no matter how small or silly it may sound) let us know during your build.
Good luck!

Gary E

Veteran
Before you thread the cable operate the smaller lever at least 10 times, this will line up the mechanism in the shifter and the cable will go fully home. I sometimes find it helps to give it a little poke with the point of a pen to make sure it’s gone in properly.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Before you thread the cable operate the smaller lever at least 10 times, this will line up the mechanism in the shifter and the cable will go fully home. I sometimes find it helps to give it a little poke with the point of a pen to make sure it’s gone in properly.
I hope he's not still at it.

Top Bottom