Cost of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
We all have choice, even if that choice involving moving so you can get a local job.
Seriously…….you think its that easy, just to up and move and get another job.

do you live in the real world???

jowwy

My wife doesn’t have much choice.

She is a teacher. Her school is 22 miles away. There is no bus. The nearest train station to us is a 20 minute walk. The nearest train station to the school is a 40 minute walk. Even without the walk, public transport would be impossible most days as she cannot physically carry all the exercise books, laptop, assorted gubbins in one go!

So, car it is then.

Oh, and she didn’t have any time off or working from home during ‘the covid’. So no savings there.

Its very easy to say ‘people should do this, that, or the other’ but things ain’t that simple. ’Course, if you dont want your kids educated…
Supposedly you now have to up and move closer to said job, so its cheaper for you to travel. But may double or treble your mortgage costs, but hey its a choice some say…..lol

tyred

Legendary Member
From a purely environmental stand point the more done to discourage journeys under five miles the better.
In an ideal world yes but very, very few will make the change and the poor will struggle most and the emissions of Mr and Mrs Average's Ford Fiesta will pale into insignificance compared to one of Putin's armoured cars or tanks.

do you live in the real world???
Depends on your skills.

I chose a job and house where I didn't need to drive to work. Walking or cycling was fine for thirty years or so. Sure I could have found something higher paying but I'd have had to pay for another car or hours of travel each day.

There's a lot to be said for working local.

jowwy

Depends on your skills.

I chose a job and house where I didn't need to drive to work. Walking or cycling was fine for thirty years or so. Sure I could have found something higher paying but I'd have had to pay for another car or hours of travel each day.

If i moved closer to work, i would save on fuel.....but treble my mortgage. Wheres the sense in that??? And lots of people would be in that same boat

Cerdic

Supposedly you now have to up and move closer to said job, so its cheaper for you to travel. But may double or treble your mortgage costs, but hey its a choice some say…..lol

Oh, well that’s OK then.

But wait a minute, my job is in the other direction so I will have to double my commute…

gbb

Legendary Member
I drive 30 miles each day commuting. I used to cycle once or twice a week but arthritis has finished all that so I have no choice.
It used to cost £30 to £35 a week for fuel.
Its currently costing £35 to £40 (there is some extra personal use in there of course)
I suspect its probably going to cost me another £10 a week soon the way things are going.

But in the bigger scheme of things, its a cost but one I can bear. Its unfortunate everything else is going up too, its a trickle becoming a running tap atm.
Again and again I remind myself, we can bear it all, we both work, no mortgage etc...but those on tight budgets :whistle:

SydZ

Über Member
Yes, if you put the effort in. Done it numerous times myself.

Moved job/ job base 7 times since leaving school and 6 have involved a house move too.

Last edited:

Moved job/ job base 7 times since leaving school and 6 have involved a house move too.
Of course it can be done, I could give up a 50k a year job where I'm out on the road fixing and maintaining mobile phone networks and get a job at the local Spa for minimum wage.

I doubt I would consider it though in order to save on Diesel usage, but it's doable. :rolleyes:

I assume this was in order to get a better job though?

I agree if office based it's probably easier to change location but not if you're in the service industry and want to remain so.

D

Deleted member 1258

Depends on your skills.

When I was working, I'm retired now, I was never more than seven miles from home, I know not everyone can do that but staying close to home is a good idea if you can do it.

jowwy

im guessing the moving numerous times and getting new jobs was to improve your earning power and not in detriment to it???

as i said, if i moved closer to where i work, its only 12 miles now ( zero miles as i now work form home) it would nearly treble my mortgage.

What would be the point in that???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom