Cost of fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SydZ

Über Member
im guessing the moving numerous times and getting new jobs was to improve your earning power and not in detriment to it???

as i said, if i moved closer to where i work, its only 12 miles now ( zero miles as i now work form home) it would nearly treble my mortgage.

What would be the point in that???
My earnings either stayed the same or increased at each move. In one inst the only change was to move from an employer 8 miles away to one 3 miles away.

My latest move resulted in a total relocation and a substantial mortgage hike but the whole package and lifestyle changes was more than worth it.

Since moving we have got rid if one car and the remaining vehicle does low mileage per annum and is never used for commuting. TBH I could not tell you what fuel round hear costs.

Last edited:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My earnings either stayed the same or increased at each move. In one inst the only change was to move from an employer 8 miles away to one 3 miles away.

My latest move resulted in a total relocation and a substantial mortgage hike but the whole package and lifestyle changes was more than worth it.

Since moving we have got rid if one car and the remaining vehicle does low mileage per annum and is never used for commuting.
and im assuming a substantial hike in wages?? also you now have one less car ( more savings) and less commuting miles ( more savings)

so nothing that was detrimental to your lifestyle???

would you have moved to that job/area if it was a at huge detriment to your lifestyle?? earnings?? costs??

SydZ

Über Member
and im assuming a substantial hike in wages?? also you now have one less car ( more savings) and less commuting miles ( more savings)

so nothing that was detrimental to your lifestyle???

would you have moved to that job/area if it was a at huge detriment to your lifestyle?? earnings?? costs??
Initially the moved planning would have seen my salary remain the same and Mrs Sydz drop. Overall living costs would still have gone up. As it would result in Mrs Sydz moving away from the toxic working environment she was in we’d have gone ahead with that.

In the final reckoning I actually got a pay rise, though not what I would call substantial. Mrs Sydz, through another opportunity that presented itself, moved on the same pay.

I travel the further of us to work, 10k, but have never use the car.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
So to sum up the move closer to work, or not, question.....
It all depends on your circumstances. :rolleyes:
With just a few years to full retirement, and currently on the wind down, doing 16 hours per week, I aint moving house for ANY job! 😄
indeed , im currently having to drive due to injury and theres no public transport within 2 miles of where i work or run for my shift pattern ,
If i wanted to work closer from home it would be a pay cut and as house prices have risen by about 25 % in the last 2 years and age means i cant afford to move either .

winjim

Smash the cistern
Hmmm, I'm beginning to think that this whole commuting by car business might be a systemic rather than an individual problem.

Funny that.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to get back on topic and give some balance to all the armchair sensationalism and rumour spreading I thought I would post this...

That is my local Sainsbury's this morning as I collected my weekly shop. Give or take a couple of pence that is the same price it has been for around a month and possibly quite a bit longer.

I really despair when all these 'knowledgeable' internet/social media voices start crying a self fulfilling prophecy of doom. Nothing is more certain to start the lemming like rush to panic buy fuel 'before they run out or the price rockets!' than some moron spouting the crap about 'They know the price will be £2/ltr within days' etc.

By the way, I drove past the garage without filling up. I have enough in the tank to last a good few weeks so no point in topping up now.....

Can I suggest we stop feeding the beast and making stuff up?

jowwy

after the last two posts - i though i would put this here again - no armchair sensationalism or rumour or self fullfilling prophecy of doom, but actual cold, hard facts

1646383888305.png

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Better go put some fuel in my planet burning 20 year old car then - not put any in it for over a month, or do I panic buy a £70k leccy car just so I can feel 'green' :crazy:

I'll carry on riding the bike to work then. Car does need fuel as I need to open the caravan up for the year and take some bikes to it. :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
after the last two posts - i though i would put this here again - no armchair sensationalism or rumour or self fullfilling prophecy of doom, but actual cold, hard facts

View attachment 633737
It's on the internet so it must be true?

I suspect some selective reporting of unique cases or maybe cold hard profiteering by the suppliers in a restricted location?

But just go ahead and keep retweeting it and soon everyone will panic!

jowwy

It's on the internet so it must be true?

I suspect some selective reporting of unique cases or maybe cold hard profiteering by the suppliers in a restricted location?

But just go ahead and keep retweeting it and soon everyone will panic!
no - it was an email sent to me from welsh government with updates for wales. So no not on the internet, i only have to drive 30 seconds down my road to find a petrol station charging 161.9 a litre, so thats a visual expereince and not an internet one

and even if its restricted locations its still true....

also i'm no tweeting anything, i'm not even on twitter, i'm just posting it here, to say that some places are currently pay higher prices than others. If you want to bury your head in the sand and say its not happening, then all power to you. but people in wales are paying these prices.

But no one here is panic buying, the same as they didn't last year when the whole of england was doing so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That's the thing though, it start's panic buying - there were big queue's last week due to 'press' scare mongering. I had no fuel last week, and I've still no fuel in the car now, although the light is 'on'. It's not yet flashed up on the information system screen with a dirty big fuel pump, so no need to panic yet.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
no - it was an email sent to me from welsh government with updates for wales. So no not on the internet, i only have to drive 30 seconds down my road to find a petrol station charging 161.9 a litre, so thats a visual expereince and not an internet one

and even if its restricted locations its still true....

also i'm no tweeting anything, i'm not even on twitter, i'm just posting it here, to say that some places are currently pay higher prices than others. If you want to bury your head in the sand and say its not happening, then all power to you. but people in wales are paying these prices.

But no one here is panic buying, the same as they didn't last year when the whole of england was doing so.
But what did it cost before Putin's invasion started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom